Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sifu Charles Wins title at Total Fight Challenge

Sifu Charles Wins title at Total Fight Challenge

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that on Sept 15, I defeated Joe 'the Triangular Strangular' Pearson for the Total Fight Challenge 145lb title in Hammond, IN. I won in the second round via triangle choke of all things!

Joe Pearson is a Pridefc and WEC veteran and has faced some very tough competition. We had an idea of what to expect from him. We knew that he was waiting for kicks and so we switched up a little bit and our game plan worked out well. The win was very exciting and I was happy to have a lot of my beginner students show up and see kung fu compete and win in MMA.

I know there were some threads on here about Traditional Kung Fu in MMA and also about the need for crosstraining. I want to let you all know that I personally feel that TCMA can do well in MMA For this fight, like all of my fights, I trained primarily the same way. I still practiced my forms. I still sparred with my foot pads and headgear from point karate. I still grappled with my Novice Black sash and my Brown sashes for practice. The only difference in training for this fight is that i actually started doing road work to improve my conditioning and a lot of pushups and ab work to improve my stength. Other than that, I trained the same way I always trained and did what my Sifu's taught me.

As far as the ground game goes, my philosophy is to not grapple or do jujitsu. If i go to the ground, i want to strike and stand up or just stand up. Of course i know some of the submissions out there and how to apply them just like i know alot of the chin na locks and how to apply them as well. Just like with standup, i try to keep moving, outthink my opponent and strike when the opening presents itself. If he's a better kicker, i punch. If he's stronger I stay away. If he's good on the ground, i keep him busy and i keep him moving.

I run a school full time so I still have to teach my kids classes, weeapons classes and whatever else. My fight preparation is part time but still effective in my opinion. That's because my training, whether its for MMA, point karate, TKD or Kickboxing, is on going. I am always teaching or showing techniques or doing forms. There is no down time.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the results of the fight. I hope to get a copy and put it up on youtube for all to see. I do believe there was another fighter there that was either TCM or JKD. He also won so the two of us came away with wins. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Sifu Charles

PS - we took some pics with the Pit Bull Andrei Arlovski and Jason Chambers - the host of 'The Human Weapon. He was the guest referee. I'll post them here or on our website - www.superkickskungfu.com

Congratulations on your win!

This is what MMA is all about, MMA is comprised of TMA styles.

Who would have thunk it, a Kung Fu Sifu winning by Triangle Choke! That's great!

congrats! any vid to post?
    Bless you

Great work and congrats !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hooray for our side! (does the 'I told ya so' dance)
    Congrats!

Sweet.

Nice job! It seems you have found a balanced approach to life and sport.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Sifu Charles. Where are you teaching?

Are you at Johnny Tsai's school, or do you have your own?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Congratulations!!! Do you plan on competing further in the MMA venue or was this kind of a one time thing?

RD: he's at Superkicks...but I think Sifu Johnny is planning to reopen his school and I don't know who he has lined up to teach there.

BSR: Sifu Charles has fought in MMA events before, I'm sure there will be more.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Thanks for the link. I was actually thinking of checking that school out some time ago as I passed while near there on business reacently.

Question, is Master Gia Wilson, Gia Spencer? As in Dino Spencers sister?

If so, my abbs STILL hurt from her conditioning back in like 1993!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

You guys made up your own ground system: Tsai Gou Chuan?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You guys made up your own ground system: Tsai Gou Chuan?
    Doesn't everyone now a days?

isnt gou quan (chuan) dog boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinassassin View Post
    As far as the ground game goes, my philosophy is to not grapple or do jujitsu. If i go to the ground, i want to strike and stand up or just stand up. Of course i know some of the submissions out there and how to apply them just like i know alot of the chin na locks and how to apply them as well. Just like with standup, i try to keep moving, outthink my opponent and strike when the opening presents itself. If he's a better kicker, i punch. If he's stronger I stay away. If he's good on the ground, i keep him busy and i keep him moving.
    Good work, congrats on the win.

Your philosophy is not to grapple or do jujutsu, yet submitted him with a triangle? Did you learn that triangle in your TCMA, or was that one from your BJJ? If it's the latter, could you explain how you put this down as a TCMA win?

Not being funny, just interested.

Cheers.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan