Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

I didn't like Dog Bite Dog. It felt completely empty. The performance by Edison Chen seemed a bit dry. I don't know how to explain it, it just didn't do it for me. And the action. Why do an action scene at all if it looks so bad? I mean, at least put in a couple of block or counter attacks. Hell, have a guy try to block, but get stabbed in the arm. THey probably tried to make it look realistic, but the action completely sucked. Still, I can't say it was a horrible movie. It was ok at times. I would give it a rating of 2/5. On the positive side, I am really enjoying the special features.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Well, I'd have to agree on DBD's fights. But esp. the last one. I liked the earlier scenes where Edison Chen's character is this silent unstoppable monster.

I picked up Flash Point today. I like it a lot better than SPL. As a brief comparison, SPL really depressed me. There were some issues in SPL that are a little too real, and I don't mean the fight scenes. Also, the fact that Hong Kong seemed like a ghost town in SPL. Then there were areas there that left me bored for periods.

Flash Point kept me entertained pretty much throughout. There were some parts that seemed to make little sense, but the action scenes are of course phenomenal. Oddly, I seem to remember a little scene with the villain's mother that interrupted the final fight when I watched that fight on Youtube, but it isn't in the DVD version. I could be wrong, or they could've edited it out.

Donnie Yen really knows how to inject the MMA/BJJ into movie fights in crime stories that are not just the typical "tournament or contest-style" movies. Too bad that Flash Point did not get a U.S. theatrical release. It might have propelled Donnie Yen into the limelight here, and it definitely would have presented a Chinese action movie to American audiences that is VERY different from the Crouching Tiger-style movies, as well as an alternative to both Jackie and Jet's styles.

Yeah I wish Flash Point had a wide US release. I think it would do really well. I can't agree on it being better than SPL, I think that SPL would have done REALLY well with a US theatrical release, but Flash Point obviously has way better choreography. And thank god that scene with the mother was cut out of the final fight. totally ruined the flow. And what did you think about the special features? I would say that they are about as good as it gets.

And when you say it's not your typical tournament movie, Donnie says in the commentary that it was supposed to be a movie about underground fighting. I kind of wonder how that would have turned out.
    Last edited by jethro; 04-26-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I think the film is probably better that it wasn't about underground fighting. On the other hand, the idea of a cop who engages in a lot of fist-fighting with criminals kinda seems silly; it definitely wouldn't work in an American film, as the impulsive, avenging fist/foot/ground fighter would end up eating a bullet or a shank sooner rather than later.

Those special features were pretty cool. I watched almost all of them.

I think Collin Chou probably meshed with Donnie Yen better than any other screen opponent. Their styles work so well together. I did not feel Donnie's style went well with Sammo Hung's, but some of that may be due to Sammo's age.

I just got House of Fury. Also got King of the Hill seasons 3 and 4 and Macgyver season 2.

6. Sister Street Fighter

Hi,

I recently bought the Sister Street Fighter Collection. It's really nice, and I got it super cheap at amazon. It's all 4 movies, great quality. I've only watched the 1st two of them, well, I watched, Sister Street Fighter Hanging By a Thread, from the set, and I'd seen the 1st one on a PD set. So I haven't seen the 1st one as the Japanese version yet, nor the other two. These are really fun, and she's really hot, to me.

Does anyone know of the Sonny Chiba Street Fighter movies have gotten a quality DVD release, I know most of the PD discs have it pretty decent and widescreen, but I mean, the original Japanese versions?

thanks,

Chosen One

I agree, she's smokin. And plenty tough too. Don't know about good original versions of Streetfighter. Sorry.

I don't know about original Japanese versions of the Street Fighter series, but the Sonny Chiba collection from Adness(?) is original Japanese with English subtitles, and are very good quality. But they are obviously more expensive than the budget releases. The ones I have are: The Killing Machine; Karate Bearfighter; Karate Bullfighter; Karate For Life.

Picked up Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan today.

I guess Best Buy will also be carrying Media Blasters Shaw releases; I also saw Heroes Two there, though I already got mine at Sam Goody's. And at BB it was full-price.

My big dream right now is a MB release of Disciples of Shaolin. It doesn't seem to be on anybody's books for upcoming releases, though. I liked the training sequences in Shaolin Martial Arts better, but IMO Disciples is the overall better film; the best in the Shaolin cycle, and has my favorite opening credits sequence in kung fu movies.

I enjoyed Shaolin Martial Arts, so I definitely want to see Disciples of Shaolin. And today I got Shanghai Affairs. I've been hearing about this movie for like 4 years. I'm about an hour in and it is definitely living up to the hype. I can't believe I'm so behind on this.

Is Shanghai Affairs a Triad movie? Sounds like it might be something for me to consider!

Today I got The Eye (the original Pang Brothers film, not the American remake with Jessica Alba). While I wasn't scared by it like the reviewers seemed to be, it's a very good film. IMO probably the best horror film out of Hong Kong, and certainly far superior to the movie that originally inspired it, The Sixth Sense.

I also got The Mothman Prophesies for free for spending over $10.

I was hoping to pick up the 1965 Japanese film Frankenstein vs. Baragon (aka, Frankenstein Conquers the World), which I'd seen newly available at the store before, but it was taken. I know a Japanese movie about a giant Frankenstein monster fighting a burrowing dinosaur is super campy, but I like that old movie. Maybe next time.

Shanghai Affairs is a Donnie yen directed movie where he plays a doctor, and he fights Rongguang Yu. Probably Yu's finest role next to Iron Monkey. The fights are dam good (at least the ones with Yen), and it's a pretty good overall movie. Very good acting from both Yu and Yen. The story is a lot better than Legend of the Wolf and Ballistic Kiss, the other movies Yen directed himself in.

And I forgot to say I also got Crystal Hunt starring Donnie Yen, Ken Lo, John Salvitti and Michale Woods. Pretty bad movie. Good fights, but not good directing in the fights.
    Last edited by jethro; 05-03-2008 at 11:22 PM.

12. Oh, I want that "Frankenstein Conquers the World" also. I've seen the disc at stores, but keep hoping it goes on sale. I taped it off AMC TV a while back, just to have it in some form. But I am sure the newer DVD will be great, crisp widescreen, and both the US and Japanese versions. I have a few of the Tokyo Shock Toho DVDs. This movie is the prequal to "War of the Gargantuas", which I like as well. I also collect all Daikaijueiga in general.

Not to be totally off topic here, last night I watched "Samurai Reincarnation". I know my version is not the best, coming off a PD set, but this movie was weird. It did get better as it went along though. To see it in Japanese and a crisp widescreen, may make a difference, as I did like it in it's weird way.

Chosen One

I just picked up 36th chamber of shaolin from Dragon Dynasty and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of the remastered classic. Of course this is coming from someone who is used to watching a Crash Entertainment copy of it and all the shaw classics I have. It was fantastic watching it on a 58 inch plasma.

BTW can anyone tell me what the real title of "invincable shaolin" is? actually I don't know if that's correct, it's the one where the 3 shaolin masters from the south are defeated by the masters from the north then they train in a different style to exact revenge......it's a venoms flick......might be shaolin rescuers....

Invincible Shaolin is correct. I see you like your training movies.

Thanks jethro

Yeah I dig the training flicks but I'm starting to watch some other stuff to build a better library