Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2969777879
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1185

Thread: recent purchases

The Kid From Kwangtung (KFK).

This was released by Bonzai/Red Sun, but the quality is excellent, for a bootleg release. In fact, it's on a par with the legitimate Shaw/Celestial releases by Dragon Dynasty, Media Blasters, etc. There were no 'hitches' or any 'tiling' on this DVD, and it has working options for languages, subs, etc., which some early Bonzai/Red Sun releases claimed to have, but didn't.

I would definitely prefer a 'legitimate' release, but since there seems to be no rush by the official companies to release some (lots) of the Shaws, this will be fine until it sees an 'official' release, if it ever does. Many Shaw Bros movies have been officially released on DVD, many of them excellent. But also, lots of mediocre to bad Shaws have been released, whereas many good, or at least more entertaining/marketable Shaws remain in limbo. Although the story is pretty typical and much of KFK's comedy is a bit lame, I've wanted to own it for its fight scenes since I first saw it almost 30 years ago. It's still my favorite Hwang Jang-Lee performance.

9/10 (for the fights).

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen.

I wouldn't have gotten this if I hadn't had a discount on it, but IMO it's better than I expected. The cinematography and the general acting are very good, and some of the fights are excellent. The pacing is good, so it never really becomes boring. Oddly enough, when it played in a local multi-plex theater that often plays the new, limited-release Chinese movies, it only played a couple of days before being pulled. Whereas, most of them last at least a week or two (Ip Man 2 lasted three or four weeks). I'm betting the trailer made people think it's a Kato/Green Hornet ripoff.

**slight spoiler**

I was surprisingly disappointed by the very last fight. The showdown between Chen Zhen and the Japanese general was built up throughout the film, and it started out great, but I had expected a bit more, considering the quality of the fights ... esp. at the very beginning of the movie. The fight turns 180 degrees way too quickly and feels a bit anti-climactic because of that, IMO.

**spoiler off**

I would rate this probably at 7/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-17-2011 at 11:15 AM.

The Art of High-Impact Kicking.

The material on this DVD was originally filmed in 1981 in Hong Kong, and features Hwang Jang-Lee. Although the first few minutes start out with a movie-style fight scene, the rest is pure instruction in the principles and execution of Hwang's kicking style.

Although at first glance, many of his kicks don't look much different from classical Taekwondo kicks (i.e., pre-Olympic-style TKD), there are some subtle differences. Hwang Jang-Lee (HJL) utilizes the circle principle, which others also use, but in some of the kicks, such as his side kick, it makes a subtle difference. His level of execution is impeccable.

HJL covers 8 basic kicks (front, roundhouse, side, hook, inside crescent, outside crescent, twist, and hammer {or axe} kicks). With each kick, he covers several variations relating to footwork, front/rear positions, etc., etc. As you watch, it becomes clear that HJL has incredible power, coordination and control in his kicks. You can also see that he doesn't emphasize overly-high kicks, such as near-vertical side kicks, or anything much over normal head-height. Unlike most instructors, HJL also did not believe in static stretching exercises, preferring instead leg swings and kicking itself to develop the necessary flexibility.

In a 1983 issue of Black Belt magazine, his American student in HK, Roy Horan, related the story that HJL began his training in Korea when he observed a group of men practicing TKD in a field. When he approached his parents about wanting to join the group, they refused. Not to be deterred, HJL swiped a pair of his father's old pajamas for his first uniform, spied on the TKD group, then would go off by himself to practice when he saw. Essentially, he was self-trained until years later, when a friend was able to sneak him into a Ji Do Kwan black belt test, which he passed easily, after which he was selected to help teach the ROK military. He went to Vietnam (1966-'68) as a member of South Korea's Tiger Division, during which time he helped instruct both South Vietnamese and American forces in TKD. Also during this time, he had a few instances of using his kicking skills in real-life encounters, in addition to wartime combat experiences.

Needless to say, HJL was not "just a movie guy."

Although the general set-up of the DVD (which, obviously, was originally a VHS tape) may look dated, HJL's execution and many of his ideas are not. Each and every kick he covers, even some kicks that for most are not considered power kicks (such as the lead-leg roundhouse kick), are thrown with nasty-looking power and intent.

Near the end is a section where he demonstrates some combinations on a "dummy" opponent. Some of them look workable, but some are not practical for actual fighting/sparring, such as his trademark jumping triple kicks, some of which are extremely difficult and done from a standing jump. These are to show how he did them, and for level of difficulty/personal satisfaction. Also remember that certain complex moves, like HJL's spinning roundhouse kick, may have worked for him, but probably would not for most MAists.

Picture is full-screen and, although not 'high-def,' the quality is good. Overall, I give this a very good rating. 9/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.

BKO Bangkok Knockout.

Yes, this is a pretty bad movie, story-wise, but I found myself entertained by it. Most of the movie is one long on-again, off-again fight scene. Basically about a group of young MAists who are kidnapped and taken to a remote location to fight for their lives against another group, while some rich people place bets.

Some of the choreography is very unique, something that is increasingly very hard to do in MA movies. Unfortunately, for me, none of the cast of protagonists stood out in any way as far as personality goes. So when they have an 'emotional moment,' it's really difficult for me to care either way. There is really no character development at all, other than a cursory love triangle between some of them.

All in all, I found it more fun than Tony Jaa's Ong Bak 2 or 3. 7/10.

The Himalayan.

An old Golden Harvest movie starring Angela Mao, Chen Sing and Tan Tao-Liang. Filmed (at least partially) in Nepal(?). I doubt at the time (1976) that they could have done any filming in Tibet.

Chen Sing plays one of his typical dastardly, double-crossing villains, and better than his normal roles. He plots to have a look-alike of his younger brother marry into a rich, powerful family so he can eventually take over. Angela Mao is the young bride who unwittingly marries the impostor. Tan Tao-Liang is a shy loner who wants to rescue her.

There is little fighting until the very end, and the end fight is impressive. Other stars either featured or glimpsed here and there include Han Ying-Chieh, Lee Ka-Ting, Corey Yuen, Sammo Hung, Chu Ching, and as an extra, a pre-superstar Jackie Chan (you have to look quickly and closely a few times). To access the set-up for this DVD, you have to skip all the way to the end of the movie. The disc is from Hong Kong. 8/10.

The Abominable Snowman.

Lion vs. Lion.

The Abominable Snowman is a classic 1957 horror film from Britain's Hammer Studio. It stars Peter Cushing as a scientist who joins a search team in pursuit of the Yeti. The team is lead by an American (Forrest Tucker). It's in black and white.

Unlike most horror or sci-fi movies of the period, The Abominable Snowman was a bit ahead of its time. As the team comes closer to its prey, Peter Cushing's character comes to realize that, rather than being 'mere animals,' the Yeti are a race of beings who are peaceful, but have the ability to enter and influence men's minds in order to protect themselves. The Americans in the film are obnoxious 'ugly Americans,' set on capturing and exploiting the Yeti. One by one, the team members begin to lose their sanity after a Yeti is shot and used as bait to attract others.

The concept of the Yeti being able to exert mental influence is not unlike the beliefs among some Native Americans concerning Bigfoot. To this day, The Abominable Snowman is the best cinematic treatment of the subject. The creatures themselves are barely seen, lending an atmospheric quality to the film. There are some annoying things, such as the natives mostly portrayed as either childlike or somehow less human, or that the only native of any sophistication, the head Lama, is played by a Westerner. However, remembering the time period that this movie was made in, such things can be forgiven. 7.5/10.

Lion vs. Lion

This movie, starring Lo Meng, Wang Yue, Wang Lung-Wei, Chin Yuet-San (Mandarin: Chien Yueh-Sheng), and Yang Pan-Pan, has good, and sometimes excellent choreography. Unfortunately, while it starts off with a bang, it often bogs down with inanely overdone comedy scenes, first with Tai Bo and Chiang Chin, and later with Wang Yue. I'm sure during that period (1981), Shaw execs were probably demanding lots of comedy to meet popular demand.

Wang Yue (1955 - 2008), an actor who usually made good films, is in another one here, but he's also more annoying than usual. His character is a total conman, which gets old quickly. Lo Meng plays an upstanding man who becomes Wang Yue's ally, the muscle to Wang's 'brains.' Wang Lung-Wei is an agent posing as the leader of an anti-Qing group. By far, the best scenes involve Chin Yuet-San and his fights with Wang Lung-Wei and Yang Pan-Pan. Chin Yuet-San usually had minor parts as extras, victims, or old masters, mostly on the losing end of screen fights. He shines here using both empty-hand and chain whip.

Lion vs. Lion can leave you with the impression that, although it's a pretty good Shaw Bros film, it could have been SO much better. 7/10.

Fighter.

This is a Danish MA film, Danish & Turkish w/English subtitles.

Starring Semra Turan as Aicha, a young Turkish immigrant in Copenhagen whose greatest dream is to become a kung fu fighter. Meanwhile, her strict, traditional parents want her to follow their dream of her becoming a doctor. Unknown to them, she begins training at a kung fu club run by "Sifu" (played by Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon's Xian Gao). Much of the story deals with the cultural clash of the immigrants in their new country, and the desire of Aicha to follow her heart rather than her parents' wishes, and the misunderstandings that result from that.

This movie is far better than I had expected. It's played mostly straight and realistically...except for most of the MA sequences. The fights contain a lot of slow-motion 'floating' and flipping in the Crouching Tiger style, with lots of unlikely 'kung fu' posing. I know I've said that movies are about entertainment; that to enjoy a movie, you must suspend your disbelief. But, IMO, because this movie seemed very much based on realism, the dreamy, dancey nature of (most of) the fights tend to detract from that otherwise reality-based feel. There are a couple of fights that do carry a feel of emotional intensity, but most do not. Most of the fights are of the modern wushu style, which isn't the issue so much as the dream-like choreography in much of the action. I found the non-MA parts of the film far more fascinating.

All in all, Fighter is a movie that offers something unique, and in an indirect way, shows why we should not judge others without understanding what they may be going through in life. Semra Turan is excellent in her role as Aicha.
    8/10.

Shanghai 13.

So I finally got to see the whole movie. Back in the '80s, a local Vietnamese-owned movie theater that showed subtitled Shaw Bros, Golden Harvest & independent kung fu movies showed the trailer for over a year, but never actually got the film itself.

Directed by Chang Cheh in approximately 1982, this is an independent production filmed in Taiwan with major stars that appeared in his movies throughout the years, from the 1960s to the '80s. Basically, this movie's sole purpose was to bring these various generations together in one film.

The DVD is full-screen and the subs are original...which means difficult to read and in really bad English (Chinglish?). I could understand some of the Mandarin, but the gist is that a patriot who has information for or about the anti-Japanese resistance must be moved from Shanghai to Hong Kong for his safety, and along the way, he is assisted (or targeted by) various members of the Shanghai 13. The plot is not unlike a low-budget version of Bodyguards and Assassins.

The cast includes: Jimmy Wang Yu, Danny Lee, Chen Kuan-Tai, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Leung Kar-Yan, Andy Lau, David Chiang, Wang Chung, Wang Ching, Chi Kuan-Chun, Yu Shao-Lan, Ti Lung, Chen Sing, and Cheng Tien-Chi. Many of these various stars never cross paths during the story, as some come and go, are bumped off, etc. The fight scenes are good to excellent, when they happen. When they aren't, the movie is quite boring. The man they are protecting is portrayed as very soft and helpless, and after awhile you begin to wonder if his character is even worth protecting and dying for.

Shanghai 13 is worth owning if you enjoy collecting Chang Cheh's works, and if you want to see a film that includes Chang Cheh actors of different generations together in one movie. Action-wise, the best performances are given by Ti Lung, Cheng Tien-Chi, Chi Kuan-Chun, Leung Kar-Yan, and a very brief appearance by Chen Kuan-Tai. Overall, I rate the movie 6/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Legend of the Fox.

This DVD is another Bonzai/Red Sun bootleg of a Shaw Bros release. But seeing as to how LOTF probably won't be released by Dragon Dynasty, Media Blasters, etc., if you want it, this is pretty much it.

Starring Chin Siu-Ho (Mandarin: Chien Hsiao-Hao), Kuo Chui, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Wang Li, etc., LOTF is another of director Chang Cheh's fantastical 'Venoms' films, minus Lo Meng and Sun Chien. Like a lot of Chang's fantasy/wuxia-type films, LOTF is very wordy, but in a nutshell, Chin Siu-Ho plays an orphan, the son of a great master (Lu Feng) whose death resulted from a trick by a sneaky swordsman (Chiang Sheng) when Chin was a baby. He is raised by his father's servant, and trained in kung fu by studying his father's kung fu manual. He is eventually helped out by a respectable warrior and former rival of his father, played by Kuo Chui, to gain vengeance against Chiang Sheng. It's unusual to have Chiang Sheng playing the arch-villain, period, so that in itself is a selling point.

There is much more that occurs in the movie, but suffice to say that this is a good MA fantasy. It's nicely shot, and Chang Cheh always had his own way of filming movies in his unique, unconventional manner.

The DVD itself is generally good quality, BUT about an hour or so into the movie, there are several glitches that freeze before allowing the movie to continue. This is clearly a defect that would not have happened with a legitimate DVD release. I have a few Bonzai/Red Sun DVDs that work flawlessly and was hoping that would be the case with this one, but unfortunately that minute or so of on/off freezing means it isn't.

For the movie itself, I rate it 8/10, but YMMV. Some will enjoy this type of movie, others may find it a bit too convoluted. Mandarin w/English subs.

I'm back! I finally have a computer of my own again. I'll be sure to check in here a lot more often now.

The only thing I really disagree with you on Jimbo is Shanghai 13. For me it's a 10/10. I have an English dub version, but the story isn't too important in this movie. It's all about the fights, and the star power that's involved in the fights. Also it's a good chance to see rarely used actors like Sonny Yu and Peter Chang get good roles.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Greetings, Jethro.

I suppose what dropped it down to a 6/10 for me was, when the movie's slow, it's slooooooooowwwww. I agree with you on the fights, though. I really like Chi Kuan-Chun, Ti Lung, and Cheng Tien-Chi's performances. IMO, Cheng Tien-Chi is better at playing a villain than a hero.

Gallants

I absolutely loved this movie.

It stars many of the old-school Shaw Brothers-and-related kung fu actors: Bruce Leung (Leung Siu-Lung); Chen Kuan-Tai; Lo Meng; Chan Wai-Man; Teddy Robin Kwan; Susan Shaw (Shaw Yin-Yin, now virtually unrecognizable from her role as the mob girl who seduced Fu Sheng's character in Chinatown kid); and Ku Kuan-Chung, also nearly unrecognizable, in a walk-on part as a police officer. Also starring newcomers Wang You-Nam and J.J. Jia.

I won't go into details about the film, only that this is the most entertained I've felt watching a new HK movie (or Chinese film, period) in YEARS. I actually enjoyed it more than either of the Ip Man movies. Gallants lacks the ubiquitous nationalism so prevalent in Chinese films today, and offers a brief return to when HK movies were fun. It's so good to see these old-timers get a chance to act again, and I was especially impressed with Chen Kuan-Tai's acting. All of the main characters are likable. On the physical side, Bruce Leung, in particular, doesn't appear to have missed a beat. Gallants includes both funny and sad moments, and for old-school KF film fans, besides being an homage to the genre, it also feels like a quiet farewell. There is no younger generation who will take the place of these KF movie veterans.

The version I got was the 2011 release by Tokyo Shock.

10/10.

The 4 Assassins (a.k.a., Marco Polo). 1975.

This was another excellent film during the period in which director Chang Cheh was featuring Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan-Chun. The other two assassins are played by Kuo Chui and Tang Yen-Tsan. American actor Richard Harrison plays Marco Polo.
    The Mongolian villains are portrayed by Leung Kar-Yan, Wang Lung-Wei, and Gordon Liu. Also featuring Shih Szu, Carter Wong, Ting Hua-Chung, Chen Hui-Lou, and Sung Jung-Chi.

I've loved this movie for years, but unfortunately, the only release of it available is from Bonzai (a.k.a., Red Sun), a bootleg version. This release has only the English dub version, and there are a couple of times the screen freezes; once as Carter Wong's character is being killed, and again a couple times during the end fight between Chi Kuan-Chun and Gordon Liu. It unfreezes after a few seconds, but it's very annoying. However, like many of the other good Shaw films, the chances of a "legitimate" release of it by Dragon Dynasty, Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock, Well Go USA, etc., are probably slim to none. At least with the exception of the couple of glitches, this release has a clear picture quality and decent sound.

The movie itself: 9/10. The Bonzai release of it: 5/10.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man.

This movie turned out to be better than I had expected; not at the beginning, but as it went on. Probably starting with the parts featuring Ip Chun. From then on, it became interesting to me. I do appreciate that this film, as well as Donnie Yen's Ip Man films, does NOT focus on the overused contemporary wushu, as most Chinese MA films do.

Dennis To was good as the young Ip Man, but IMO, Fan Siu-Wong was far more interesting as his adopted brother. I always liked Fan and am still not sure why he never became a bigger star. He certainly has the physical talent and the acting ability as well. Although the character he plays is in his early twenties, Fan must be around 40 by now.

It's nice to see Yuen Biao in a sizeable role in a new film again.

Is this an accurate account of Ip Man's early life? I may not be a WC practitioner, but I can confidently say, 'not a chance.' It's entertainment, not as exaggerated as, but in ways similar to, the Jet Li Wong Fei-Hong series in the '90s. Creating legends around a famous historical kung fu figure. The end fight is very entertaining; I won't give it away, and I'm sure there are more in-depth reviews on this film's story elsewhere. I would have liked to have seen more varying rhythm in the fight...pauses, different speeds, etc., enhances the dramatic impact of a fight scene. The fights in this film tend towards one speed; constant, full-speed, with virtually no pauses.

Hopefully, other Chinese MA styles and characters will now be featured in good, high-quality, prominent films. I'll be looking forward to seeing Donnie Yen in Ip Man 3, but beyond that, cinematic WC is becoming played out, IMO. If they run it into the ground, they risk creating another kung fu movie bust.

A good watch, but nothing really outstanding. 7/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-19-2012 at 12:35 AM.

That's pretty much the same thoughts I have on Legend is Born. Good but nothing special. I liked the lead actor a lot.

Picked up Videoasia's latest offering, One Armed Blade 4 film collection.

One Armed Swordsman 94- good flick. Damian Lau gives an incredible dramatic performance. And David Chiang shows once again that his sword skills improved greatly as he got older.

Point the Finger of Death- Wang Yu and Lau Kar Wing star as one armed guys. Very good movie with lots of good fighting. And Leung Kar Yan as a villain is always a joy to watch. Lung Fei also stars, and the final fight was a little disappointing compared to their fights in One Armed Boxer
    and Return of Chinese Boxer.

BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS MOVIE IS THAT IT IS CUT VERY BADLY!! Prepare to be extremely angry when watching the unimaginable cuts they made.

One Armed Swordsman vs Nine Killers- ok flick. Nothing really stood out to me.

One Armed Swordsmen- not watched.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Fight the Fight (a.k.a., Choy Lee Fut)

I really wanted to like this movie, esp. since I'm a CLF practitioner. Unfortunately, this is one of those films that could have been SO much better. The main stars are Sammy Hung (Sammo's son), Kane Kosugi (Sho's son, although oddly enough, I don't think his name was in the main credits), Yuen Wah (as the master of the CLF school), and Sammo Hung (in a bit role), and Lau Kar-Wing in a very brief role as a Hung Gar master.

There are some decent parts, esp. Kane's end fight, and one flashback fight between a CLF man and a karate black belt. But the CGI used in the flashback scenes (esp. the staff fight between Sammo Hung and Yuen Wah) look really cheap.

The worst parts of the film involve the 'romantic' scenes between Sammy and his new girlfriend, and the CLF school's senior and his wife. They were probably an attempt to bring balance to the film, but these scenes really suck. There is nothing appealing or sexy about grown women who behave like 8 to 10 year-old girls. And these scenes add nothing to the film, and only serve to drag the pace of the whole movie down.

This purpose of this movie seemed aimed at inspiring more young people to learn kung fu, esp. CLF. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be the movie to do that. Besides, the worldwide craze now is with MMA, BJJ, etc.

4.5/10.

The Flying Guillotine

Starring Chen Kuan-Tai, Ku Feng, Frankie Wei, Wong Yue.

This is a good Shaw Bros film that really features the flying guillotine, even better than The Master of the Flying Guillotine did. It follows the weapon from its fictitious invention, even showing how it appears to work, etc. The fights are average, but the real star is the guillotine itself. Only one issue is, why do the victims stand still as the weapon is flying from a distance to go over their heads? Suspension of disbelief is a must, but once the thing is on their heads, the effect is fairly convincing.

6.5/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.