Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

I just did a trade with someone and I got-

Swordsman's Adventure- Adam Cheng, Chang Shan, Alan Hsu, JAck Long, Lung Fei, and action by Ching Siu Tung
    Vampire Kid- TV movie with Jack Long and Chang Shan
    Crazy Girl Killers- Chang Shan and Lo Rei
    No Guilty- Chang Shan, Lo Rei, David Lam Wai, Ku Feng and Wong Chi Sang
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

2. stuff I got today

I was looking in FYE, and I also got this set, someone else picked up:

Brentwood 10-pack- "Kung fu Crusade"
    Vengeance of Snow Maiden
    Hurricane Sword
    Black and White Swordsman
    Magnificent Kick
    Fighting Life- modern day movie starring the 2 lead actors from Crippled Masters
    Bruce Li's Magnum Fist
    Ninja Grand Masters of Death aka Life of Ninja
    Seven Blows of the Dragon
    Kung Fu of 8 Drunkards
    The Godfather Squad aka Little Godfather
    (I copied and pasted that).

I think this is the 4th Brentwood 10 pack I have of Martial arts.

I also picked up, for $1.99 new:

Jackie Chan - Who is he?

Haven't looked at it, or anything yet, but it's a documentary, on New Media label, says widescreen.

I love Ninja Terminator! I read someone mentioning that. I love all those Ninja movies from IFD Films and Arts, and Filmark, and have collected quite a bit of them. Today I ordered Ghost Ninja online.

Media Blasters is a great label, I have lots of their horror, and Asian titles, through their sub-labels, Shriek Show, Tokyo Shock etc.

Comments welcome,

Chosen One

Yeah Ninja Terminator is one of IFD's best movies.

Did you order "Ghost of the Ninja"? If so, cancel your order. GHost of the Ninja is an aka for Killer in White, which is a great kung fu movie. Unfortunately, the Ghost of the Ninja version cuts out the final fight. So prepare to be disappointed when you see that. And just so you know, Killer in White is an aka for Shadow Ninja, which comes in the 50 and 20 pack.
    Last edited by jethro; 01-26-2008 at 06:38 PM.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Hey kpmaster, I meant to post this for you a long time ago but I musta forgot. Here is a 6-page interview with Godfrey Ho, enjoy- http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=230&page=1

5. Thanks Jethro,

I read an interview somewhere else a while back, this one looks different and has pics. I also read an interview with Stuart Steen(?), that was really good, he's great.

Maybe there isn't a big market, but I wish all the IFD/Filmark Ninja movies would get a DVD release. I'd like to see them with audio commentary, good transfers, and extras and stuff. I noticed some company I never heard of called Synergy, had City Ninja, which I don't have, but they wanted ten bucks for it. I'd also like to get Clash of the Ninja, but I think the versions out may be messed up.

No, it's Ghost Ninja, it's on this double feature set called Tales of Voodoo.

Chosen

OK good to see that you didn't get Ghost of the Ninja.

City Ninja comes in the 50-pack. I don't know if it is the same movie you were looking at buying, but the one in the 50-pack isn't a ninja movie. It stars a bunch of old school stars like Chen Sing, chan Wai Man and Fong Yeh. It's quite terrible.

I just picked up the first volume of The Immortal Iron Fist comic. GREAT!

Hope this isn't just for recent video purchases.

The Revenger (Ti Lung)
    2009 Lost Memories/Yesterday 2-pack

I didn't care much for The Revenger, though Ti Lung is one of my favorites.

I hope a good company will eventually release Killer Wears White, perhaps Tokyo Shock or other high-end co.

Yeah it would be nice if a good version of Killer Wears White came out. That is Tung Wei's shining moment in his acting career. And I agree about The Revenger. Not horrible or anything, but nothing special. Wong Ching as the main villain didn't impress me much.

I'm also really hoping to see The Loot come out, either by Rarescope or Tokyo Shock. It's one of the few kung fu comedies where, at least IMO, the comedy is actually funny, at least as I saw it in the Mandarin version.

Others I wouldn't mind seeing in DVD release:

The Stranger and the Gunfighter
    Lee Van Cleef and Lo Lieh. Not a great film, but a crossover Italian spaghetti western with early appearances by Yuen Chung-Yan, Yuen Sum-Yi, and Ren Shi-Guan (Yen Shi-Kuan) to name a few. For novelty's sake.

The Himalayan
    IMO, possibly the best for Angela Mao and Tan Tao-Liang both. It's a Golden Harvest.

Zen Kwun Do Strikes in Paris
    One of the best "bad movies" of all time.

Two Fists Against the Law

The Woman Avenger
    Mostly an average kung fu flick, but for the fact the protagonist is obviously a female; until the last 20 minutes or so makes it unique with Hsia Kuang-Li's leg/kick training sequences and her fight with Peng Kang.

The Miracle Fighters
    The first of the "bizarre Taoist" movies by the Yuen clan, and the best. A Golden Harvest film.

Pedicab Driver
    Why hasn't this been out yet??? It's one of Sammo's all-time best.

The Outlaw Brothers
    Possibly the best Yukari Oshima performance, and her best role. A good final warehouse fight with Oshima vs. Jeff Falcon, among others.

I have a good widescreen version English dub of The loot. I thought it was good but not great. Very good fights. Deadly Challenger is one I want to see. And Pedicab Driver needs to be released SO badly. The rest of those I need to see except for Miracle Fighters.

Today I got Twilight Samurai and Two Wondrous Tigers. I remember reading your thoughts on Twilight so I look forward to that. As long as it has a good story I think I will like it. And have you seen Two Wonderous Tigers? I read it stars John Cheung, Yeung Pan Pan, Charlie Chan, Wilson Tong, Phillip Ko and Tiger Yang.
    Last edited by jethro; 01-30-2008 at 01:16 AM.

I like Two Wondrous Tigers, but I wished they'd had a better villain than Tiger Yang. His acting always seems to come off as cheesey to me, and his way of moving, while good, seems kind of odd. If Hwang Jang Lee, Wang Lung-Wei or Ren Shi-Guan had been the villain, it would've been much better, though there is some great 3-way weapons fighting with Phillip Ko, John Chang and Yang Pan-Pan.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-30-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Sounds good. I have only seen Yang in 2 movies. I thought he was good in Warriors 2 and he was good in GOD 2 though there was not really much of a chance to show his acting. I will let you know what I think of 2 Wonderous Tigers.

Today I got The Hidden Blade and Counterattack.

First I tried to watch Counterattack. First I watched the special features...the Bruce Li interview I'd already seen in Top Fighter and Cinema of Vengeance. The John Ladalski/Danny Inosanto sections were okay for historical sake. However, when I turned the disk over to play the movie, it will not play. No surprise. I suppose on some new players it will work, but not on this one. So I decided to keep it anyway, for the interviews, and on the off-chance it may work on a future DVD player. Not to mention, I only spent $5 on it; it was used, and it's less hassle anyway than having to return it.

I haven't yet had time to watch The Hidden Blade. It's directed by Yoji Yamada, the same director or Twilight Samurai. HB is released by Tartan Video. I've only watched some of the special features, but at about 135 minutes, I want to see the whole thing at once when I watch it. According to the insert, it's one of a trio of films (along with Twilight Samurai) by the director, part of a trilogy of sorts, though not really a sequel. And like TS, HB has only two fights in the whole movie, which is more based around the story/characters. That's fine with me, so long as the story/acting are good, like in TS.

One movie I've already had for a couple years, When the Last Sword is Drawn, also a quality Japanese film (not directed by Yamada), starts out great. But then, oh, Lord, it seems to drag on after about the first 90 minutes. It seems to last over 3 hours or so. When the Last Sword is a perfect example of a film that needed to end at least an hour earlier than it does.