Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

There are a lot of remastered movies, but Legendary weapons has one of the best transfers to DVD I have ever seen. It is truly crystal clear.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Watched Legendary Weapons and loved it. I haven't seen it that clear since I saw the actual movie way back when it was newly-released in the theater!

Thinking of maybe picking up The Water Margin, but as I dimly remember it, the fight scenes are kinda so-so (Chang Cheh's pre-Shaolin era). But the movie itself is a large-scale epic of the kind I like, plus there's a special feature about Chang Cheh that may add extra worth to it.

I really liked water Margin, but not cause of the fights. The final battle is pretty cool though, just because of the way it is set up.

I would recommend Boxer's Omen over this though.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I picked up The Water Margin and The Boxer's Omen the other day.
    Yup, now that I see Boxer's Omen again, I remember it well; the regurgitated chicken anus, etc. That director had to be a twisted puppy. To be honest, it's not the sickest movie I've seen. Back in the '80s there was a Chinese documentary about weird Asia or something. In one part, they showed a shaman on Borneo going into a trance and taking a live chicken in his hands. Then he ate the living thing whole, including the feathers(!). The whole process was filmed from one angle, uncut, and took maybe five-ten(?) minutes or so.

I liked the Water Margin better, and enjoyed some of the extras on Chang Cheh, David Chiang, and Ti Lung. The movie itself is very well-done and has such a different flavor from some of his earlier films (Duel of Fists, etc.) and way different from his later (Venoms) films. It's a real epic, though not as large-scale an epic as Chang Cheh's The Boxer Rebellion or Shaolin Temple (not the Jet Li version). The fights are a bit disappointing, and I'm sorry, but David Chiang just looks weak as a 'wrestler'. His fights look embarrassingly fake in this one. Ti Lung looked a lot better (as usual), but hardly had any screen time.

Interesting that the two leading protagonists in WM are played by Japanese actors, but they are excellent actors and did quite the job. I was surprised they looked pretty good in their fight scenes, as they aren't really known as 'fighting actors'.

Wang Chung is the character that stands out the most to me in Water Margin, and I agree, David Chiang did look kind of weak. I heard the sequel has Bolo and Fan Mei wrestling. That sounds worth seeing to me!

On Boxer's Omen, I totally agree with you. The Fear Factor scene stood out the most to me. The liner notes on Boxer's Omen talks abotu how the movie is a sequel of sorts to Hex. I have seen a few of this directors movies and he does seem like a bit of a hack. A lot of movies he did are similiar to Boxer's Omen, but just don't deliver. The one kung fu movie he did was Killer COnstable, so I can't say too much bad about the guy.
    Last edited by jethro; 04-25-2007 at 07:38 PM.

re

My recent buys:

Men From The Monastery. IVL
    Fighting Fool. IVL
    Kid With A Tattoo. IVL
    Boxer From The Temple. IVL
    Seven Grandmasters. Tokyo Shock.
    Tom Yoong Goom. DD
    Seven Swords. DD
    This is Kung Fu. 55th Chamber.

I don't get out much, you know

I don't get out much either

I recently bought Project A2. Great movie, good priced DVD.

Another one I got was Best of the Best 2. The movie isn't that great but Fox put some awesome special features on there.

I also got this DVD called Everyone is Kung Fu Fighting and it has 9 short home movies. The famous Prison Warz is on there along with a few other great shorts. The special features are amazing and the Stunt People caused me to burst out crying with laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I don't get out much either

I also got this DVD called Everyone is Kung Fu Fighting and it has 9 short home movies. The famous Prison Warz is on there along with a few other great shorts. The special features are amazing and the Stunt People caused me to burst out crying with laughter.
    I got that DVD, too. I liked the Kwoon and The stuntpeople best. very Funny.

You seen Contour yet?

Just ordered mine from the stuntpeople site. It rocks!!! If only Hollywood made action films that good!

Hey, I am the terror known as Morgoth on the Stunt People site. I don't do stunts, but i love to watch movie clips.

I also got a few Fusian titles.

King Of Kings- Joseph Kuo- 1969- freaking awesome movie

Eight Immortals- 1971- great movie. Much better than I expected.

Whirlwind Knight- unwatchable.

Oh, and I have not seen Contour. I am kind of new to these home videos.

[QUOTE=jethro;758442]Hey, I am the terror known as Morgoth on the Stunt People site. I don't do stunts, but i love to watch movie clips.

Do you post on kung fu fandom also?

that name is very familiar

morgoth on the fandom and Stunt People site and Amazon.

Gorthu at the kfc site.

What abotu you?

re:

Charp choi, thats me.

I like kfc, kff and dragonsdenuk.com.
    Really good and useful sites.

I will have to check out Dragon Den. I love Kung Fu Fandom. That is one hell of a knowledgable bunch over there.

14. recent purchases

Hi all,

Today I bought a few things:

Magnificent Butcher.
    I have heard this is great, yet never saw it, as far as I can recall.
    Haven't watched it yet.

The Guy With Secret Kung Fu.
    Bruce Lee From Beyond The Grave.

These were a buck at Wal-mart.
    Haven't seen these either.

Non MA stuff I got was:

The Incredible Hulk, Original TV Premiere.
    Robot Vs. Aztec Mummy.

More Wal-mart buck DVDs:
    Doublecross On Costa's Island(with Franco Columbu).
    Laserhawk(with Mark Hamill).

Later,

Chosen One

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I just scored a custom neck for a strat-birdseye maple with an ebony fingerboard, and abalone inlays-sweeeet! (114.00 on ebay) I'm gonna slap it on a mahogany (transparent red) strat body with some hot strat pickups, a floyd rose, and have one kicka$$ axe for under 400.00 .
    oh yeah, nice movies.