Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way of the Intercepting Fist

Spectre Guest

Way of the Intercepting Fist

Another post asked a great question:

What is meant by 'Way of the Intercepting Fist'?

How do YOU define intercepting?

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

Cyborg Guest

Intercepting fist

I think it means to read the opponents intentions and attack before they get there. "Not to attack into attack, but to attack into their preparation for attack." I'm paraphrasing Bruce there.

I find that no matter what technique I use it always comes back to timing it into their preparation. It's a proactive and not a reactive thing.

Any body wanna spar?

shaolinboxer Guest
    This is the same as the concept of Irimi.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

curtis Guest

Hi guys I am reposting this its from Misunder stood...

what is intercepting ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lyle great question.
    I believe it's more question of what is intercepting. If you train to perceive motion (to watch and see a person how they build up for strike.) And then move when or before they actually begin . That could be one definition.
    I see it more as traping.
    You go for the strike. If the secondary intercepts your strike, you flow away from the block and trapp the opponent arms. Then you hit him.
    But it could also be the shutting down of striking lines. (Which is also are traping.)
    If you draw an imaginary line from the opponent's hand to your face. And then use your hand (or fist) to intercept that line, you also effectively trapped the opponent ability to strike. ( Is this what you mean? " On intercepting"?) C.A.G.
    posted 10-10-01 02:02 AM

P.S.
    I belive the term intercepting, should be called shuting down the oppenant.
    Again Why more people dont do it?WHO CAN FIGURE!!!
    C.A.G.

Yuen Guest
    inteception = counter-action to one's movement

fmann Guest
    He thinks of hitting me, I've already hit him.
    He moves to hit me, I've already hit him 2x.
    He tries to hit me, I've already hit him 3x.

curtis Guest

Not bad

Yuen,I think youve got the bull by the tail, keep holding on!
    Fmamn
    what you said is easy to say, but not always easy too do.
    make sure that your attack has a bult in defenceive action as well, You dont have to TRAP him in so many words, but you will always need to shut down his possible lines of attack. other wise theres no guarantes.
    C.A.G.

Sean Madigan Guest

fmann

HI fmann,

That is the best description of "Interception" that I've ever seen on any of these forums.

Great Post.

"BIG" Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com

dzu Guest

interception

You attack first, but I arrive first.

The opponent's action dictates your response. Your reponse shuts him down before his attack reaches full power.

Dzu

Spectre Guest

Hmmm...

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see how punching faster than the opponent is intercepting. :confused:

Kevin

__________________________________________________ ____

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

fmann Guest
    If I knock someone out before they can execute their technique on me, then I have intercepted <u>THEM</u> -- who cares about the technique?

Too many people think the concept of "interception" means to intercept or trap a technique. Those are just means to the ultimate goal -- to intercept the opponent, not the punches or kicks that he throws at you.

"Kill some soldiers, and the enemy general will rally reinforcements. Kill the general: Now who's going to call for reinforcements?"

Daedalus Guest

Intercepting

In order for it to be an interception, just like in football, the intercepting move should cancel, override, or negate your opponents move.

Interception techniques can be very useful, but to base one's entire style upon this concept would require phenominal speed (which Bruce Lee possessed). Many things that I have read about Bruce Lee indicate that he spent alot of time building up his speed and that most of his techniques and tactics played off of his speed.

Makes his art kinda one sided, don't you think? Take speed out of the equation and your art is crippled (intercepting included).

Just my opinion.

Spectre Guest
    So does this mean that you are placing all of your offense/defense on that one punch being faster and with sufficient power while being placed in the correct alignment to render an opponent unconscious?

For every mountain there is a higher...
    ...for every fist there is a stronger.

Kevin

__________________________________________________ ____________

dzu Guest

Disagree

It's not about overwhelming speed. It's about timing and positioning. Speed is a physical attribute that will fade over time. Timing and positioning are developed skills.

Dzu

fmann Guest

exactly dzu

Right on.

You don't necessarily need kinetic speed, but computational speed is of great importance (e.g., how you react, your timing, awareness, etc.).

Daedalus,

Take out the speed in any art and it's crippled. Show me a martial art that prides itself on moving in slow motion in combat. The concept of interception is NOT TECHNIQUE BASED. I say this because I'm not a JKD'er, but rather a WT artist. The concept of interception is universal and can be applied regardless of technique.

You don't have to knock the guy out obviously. Rather a series of hits leading to the knock-out is enough. Or a knockout kick. :D