Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy mid autumn festival

can't talk, eating yucky mooncakes...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I made my own mooncakes

the center piece was red bean paste.

the crust was more bread like with layers.

no egg yolk. I know people like to have twin yolk or triple yolk not me.

no peanut oil on the crust--

PRC are sending Chang Er 3 to land on the moon in 2013--

happy mid autumn fest

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    I made my own mooncakes

the center piece was red bean paste.

the crust was more bread like with layers.

no egg yolk. I know people like to have twin yolk or triple yolk not me.

no peanut oil on the crust--

PRC are sending Chang Er 3 to land on the moon in 2013--

happy mid autumn fest

I see what you did there...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ttt 4 2011

There's a box of mooncakes on the center desk in our office. As soon as no one is looking, Ima gonna grab me some.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes. eat some moon cakes and do not forget to watch the full moon, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Vw_...&feature=share

funny story/legend telling.

Holy Cats, SPJ, that's Lianne Lin!

She did some modelling for us back in the day. We still use her image for our got 氣 shirts in the magazine. Here she is with our regular got qi? shirt. She was our Tiger Claw Shoes Make an Impression model on page 83 of our Mar Apr 2005 issue (that shoot was a personal fav of mine - anyone who has that issue can look it up and know why )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

yes. Her face was familiar.

so I picked her video.

Where I live, Chinese folk are ubiquitous. So the mall put on the best fireworks show I've seen in this burg!

holy crap it was awesome!

Thanks for the autumn moon festival firework show Chinese culture (and merchants of the local mall)! I'm glad it happened.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

the moon was surely full and bright last nite.

I like the moon cake/yue bing with red bean paste/soft layered crusts. or hong dou sha (red bean sand)

do not like the egg yolk/lotus grinds (lian rong) with thin crusts. because they are almost always prepared with peanut oil

me have upset stomach from peanut oil.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    the moon was surely full and bright last nite.

I like the moon cake/yue bing with red bean paste/soft layered crusts. or hong dou sha (red bean sand)

do not like the egg yolk/lotus grinds (lian rong) with thin crusts. because they are almost always prepared with peanut oil

me have upset stomach from peanut oil.

--

I'd like to know what motivated you to get all this into one post?

just kidding.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A little late...

...but it was a gorgeous moon this year.

Our office is overflowing with moon cakes. Last year, we didn't get any. This year, many of our friends dropped by to bring us some.

Excessive amounts of plasticizer found in Guangzhou moon cakes

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival aka let's see how many moon cake scandals we can write about in one day! The latest concerns unsafe amounts of plasticizer discovered in eight brands of moon cakes in Guangzhou, Beijing Times reports.

The plasticizer is found in the PVC used to make the cake wrap, and can emit harmful chemicals if the moon cakes are too hot when packaged. If ingested, these chemicals can allegedly decrease sperm count in men, but also, ironically enough, accelerate sexual maturity in kids (who knew all Benjamin Button needed to do to fix his problem was stop eating Guangzhou moon cakes).

No rebuttal yet from the Guangzhou brands in question but Hong Kong moon cake companies have denied that their moon cake packaging contains any amount of plasticizer, while experts say claim that the levels of plasticizer found in the Guangzhou moon cake wrappers pose little health risk.

Fortunately long after the plasticizers have degraded, these interminable pastries will probably still be around, and taste the same as when they were packaged.

In the past excessive levels of plasticizer have been found in instant noodles, soy sauce, baijiu, bubble tea and more.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If that(and the many other recent examples) doesn't make you want to stay away from processed foods, I dunno what will. I'm getting to the point where I can't even eat out unless I just push the possibilities from my mind. People are nasty. I'm not a germaphobe, but I mos def don't want to ingest any more crap than I have to. I have many concerns about Chinese imports, but they are by no means the only ones on that list. I have issue with what goes on in my own back yard too. Granted I trust Canadian foods significantly more than Chinese imports. So weird to me that we would work so hard to create safer food supplies then start rolling back regulation now. Why now? It's sad what people will do for profit.

When I lived in Taiwan, I was probably one of the few people I knew who openly liked eating mooncakes people would offer during the moon festival. Then a story came out in the news there that a maker of the cakes was caught re-using cooking oil, fat or grease or whatever from restaurants that was supposed to be disposed of. That was the end of mooncakes for me.

A couple years ago, I had to give up all wheat/gluten products, so that in itself has removed even more junk out of my diet.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-20-2013 at 10:47 AM.

The blood super moon was obscured by clouds in my hood

China didn't even get it. But at least they got a super moon. More pix if you follow the link.

LOOK: Supermoon over China marks an auspicious Mid-Autumn Festival

Pictures of last night's super cool supermoon taken from across China have flooded the internet as netizens celebrated Mid-Autumn Festival with a little moon gazing and photography.

Unfortunately, amateur photographers in China were not treated to the extremely rare blood moon lunar eclipse, like those in the Americas, Africa and western Europe, but we already got one lunar eclipse this year. No need to get greedy.

Hope everybody took it easy on the mooncakes this year and enjoy the pics:

Shanghai

Wuxi, Jiangsu province

Lu'an, Anhui province

Lu'an, Anhui province

Huai'an, Jiangsu province
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2016!

Avoid high sugar, fat or sodium? They're cakes, dagnabbit.

Hong Kong consumers warned to stay away from mooncakes with high sugar, fat or sodium content
    Centre for Food Safety says it is particularly concerned about mooncakes with excessive levels of sweetener
    PUBLISHED : Friday, 02 September, 2016, 12:03am
    UPDATED : Friday, 02 September, 2016, 12:03am

Emily Tsang

Consumers have been warned to exercise caution when buying mooncakes for the Mid-Autumn Festival and to choose those with low levels of sugar, fat and sodium.
    The advice came as the Centre for Food Safety released test *results from 50 unnamed brands of mooncake. The centre warned in particular of those containing large amounts of sweeteners.
    So-called ice-skin or snowy mooncakes contained the highest levels of sugar compared with other varieties, the study found.
    The highest amount was found in a 60-gram snowy brand with a lemonade flavour. The sweetener took up42.7 grams per 100-gram serving – equivalent to eight sugar cubes, or half an adult’s *recommended daily sugar intake.
    The second-highest sugar *level was found in a traditional mooncake containing 37.6 grams per 100 grams, followed by a Chinese ham mooncake (35.8 grams) and custard one (24.9 grams).
    To offset the energy intake in one custard-flavoured mooncake, consumers would have to swim freestyle for 50 minutes or cycle for 40 minutes, according to the centre’s principal medical *officer Dr Samuel Yeung Tze-kiu.
    Dietician Sylvia Lam See-way, a member of the government’s Committee on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food, said all types of mooncake had a very high level of sugar in them.
    “In one day, consumers would be better off with either just a quarter of a traditional mooncake or one whole mini snowy mooncake,” she said.
    The study also highlighted brands containing large amounts of fat and sodium.
    The brand with the highest *sodium level contained 376 milligrams per 100-gram serving, plus 27 grams of fat.
    Lam urged Mid-Autumn *Festival enthusiasts to choose brands containing low levels of sugar, fat and sodium. At least nine brands sampled in the study made such claims, meaning their sugar levels did not exceed five grams per 100 grams of serving.
    She said the committee wanted the food industry to develop healthier recipes.
    The centre also tested 130 mooncake samples for chemical, microbiological and nutritional content. They all passed the tests.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips