Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JKD VS Wing Chun

Rolling_Hand Guest

JKD VS Wing Chun

As a JKD practioner, how do you deal with the powerful Wing Chun punches?

DragonzRage Guest
    The same way I'd deal with any other powerful punch: I control the range and I hit him before he hits me. At the risk of sounding like a flame, I must point out that I have never had much trouble sparring with wing chun guys, from the few times I've worked with some who were willing to go full contact or at least semi-hard sparring with me. Their training and techniques just don't generally seem well suited to full contact sparring engagements. I'd be under a lot more pressure against another muay thai fighter or a good boxer. But I'm not trying to argue about any JKD vs wing chun stuff. I am JKD in my approach and thought, but my personal tools (for striking) are boxing and muay thai more so than Jun Fan, although I do throw my fair share of lead hand attacks and lead sidekicks
    ;)

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

Rolling_Hand Guest
    -- I control the range

How?

-- I hit him before he hits me

So " Speed " is your game!
    What will happen if someone always one step ahead of you?

Cyborg Guest

JKD vs WC

Not to insult all WC'ers, and I haven't had the opportunity to train with alot of them, but the ones that I have met can't hit hard. Nor do they have enough movement to keep up. They seem so set on trying to trap that they don't do anything else. Now I don't care how good you are at any given thing if you limit yourself to that one thing I'll win every time. And they weren't used to contact.

El_Clap is a WC'er and was at my last fight and can verify that I'm not a Ralek follower.
    ;)

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee

CerberusXXL Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the ones that I have met can't hit hard. Nor do they have enough movement to keep up. They seem so set on trying to trap that they don't do anything else. [/quote]

I think you need to becareful and not generalize things about wing chun. In win chun you hit hard and sometimes you don't, so it simply a matter to the situation at hand. In addition, I have to disagree with you about wing chun people being set on trapping. Although the wing chun fighter thatt you have met may have been set on trapping, I can assure you that in my wing chun school it isn't the case.

In short, the problem that we have today is that there is a lack of great instructor. For instance, in Tampa there are two schools of wing chun and one of them is pretty bad, and one school is giving wing chun a bad name.

Peace.

Cyborg Guest
    I did qualify my statement.

In theory WC is well rounded and adaptable. I have yet to meet an WC stylist who is.

If the shoe fits wear it. I'm not trying to start fights here. :)

hunt1 Guest

Cerberusxxl

Are you referring to the jason Lau school and Steve Swifts school?

Vankuen Guest

To everyone here

Hey, this guy is trolling wing chun. He was on other forums doing the same crap..."wing chun vs. this art" "wing chun vs that art". It's a never ending argument with no real answer. Perhaps his name should be "Trolling hand" instead of Rolling hand?

In regards to the CYBORG fella...Im not sure where Hico Texas is, but it doesn't sound like a place that would have highly skilled people anyway. Try coming to San Antonio, the highest level Leung Ting Wing Tsun man in the United States is there. Why don't you give his hands a try? I have met him, and although I don't care much for his attitude, he is skilled in his art.

Basically it's my belief that anyone can be beaten at any time. Everyone trains, but everyone cannot be one hundred percent one hundred percent of the time. If you have yet to find someone that can beat you, it's not necessarily because you're that good, a lot of it comes down to the fact that you haven't looked hard enough for that worthy opponent. Or maybe you dont want to?

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

CerberusXXL Guest
    To Hunt1,

I didn't want to give names since I'm only studying wing chun for my personal interest.

I train under sifu Steve Swifts and we have a couple of people who came from Jason Lau. The people who came from Jason Lau were only taught the first form (Sium Lim Tao), but they weren't taught the basic such as footwork, hand technique.
    Anyway, I'm not going to comment any further, but I would hate to train for one year and not being able to know the basics.

Cyborg Guest
    Hico is, as you thought, a small town. It's about three hours drive north of SA. Which is where I had my last sparring match with the WC guy. No, I don't know what school he goes to.

I didn't claim that I never get beat. I answered the question by Rolling Hand which was how I dealt with WC stylists. I also admitted that I hadn't had the opportunity to spar them very much. And I do apologize if I came across as an egomaniac.

At the risk of repeating myself, "if the shoe fits, wear it!" :)

Cyborg Guest

Rolling Hand

So what's your favored art? And how do you deal with WC or JKD, or for that matter any other art?

Rolling_Hand Guest

Cyborg

--my favored art?

Let's put this way, I like to eat cheese but not swiss cheese... got it??

Rolling_Hand Guest

Vankuen

--the same crap

Do you like swiss cheese?
    Go back to your Sifu, it's time for you to learn some more lessons...

El_CLap Guest

Do I know you?

Hey Cyborg. Are you who I think you are? If so, then hey what's up?

El_CLap Guest

Vankuen

Would you be referring to Will Parker? Or the other guy who used to train under Leung Ting in S.A.?