Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu (and other Martial Arts) Tattoos

Kung Fu (and other Martial Arts) Tattoos

Hello, everyone. This is my second posting.

I am considering getting a tattoo that will represent my love and committment to the aspects of Kung Fu (and martial arts in general), and to concepts and life-principles in general. I did a search, but could not find any relevant posts. My top pick is a rather striking pose of General Kwan with a kanji phrase below it. I would rather not reveal the phrase itself at this time. If I go ahead with it, I am considering it on my right upper-shoulder.

Anyhow, a few questions:
    Can you post pictures of your Kung Fu or martial arts tattoo?
    Did you have any problems immediately after getting it since, after working out, we sweat so much? Plus rubbing of cloth to skin?
    Anything else you would like to add to the discussion, feel free.

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Eggman.

Q. Can you post pictures of your Kung Fu or martial arts tattoo?

A. Yes. I posted pics of my Celtic tats a couple of months ago.

Q. Did you have any problems immediately after getting it since, after working out, we sweat so much? Plus rubbing of cloth to skin?

A. It'll bother you for about a week, itching and whatnot when you sweat, but you should be fine as long as you keep it clean and keep a nice layer of A&D ointment on it. You can't go swimming for a couple of weeks after, but showers are no problem.

You getting them done at Deep Ellum?

Make sure the person putting the characters on understands how the character looks... I've seen my share of people with characters upside-down and sideways because neither them or the artist knew enough about characters.

Know your characters!

Good luck

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

DO NOT SCRATCH IT. Smack it if it itches. I like bag balm on my new tats.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller

You getting them done at Deep Ellum?
    Thanks for your comments. I am thinking about getting them done at Cat Tattoo off of Beltline in/near Addison.

Eggman.

don't use kanji, use traditional chinese calligraphy.

I mean c'mon, it's kungfu!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think he might be using chinese characters.

Most people call them kanji even though they are not. There is no popular name for them.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    don't use kanji, use traditional chinese calligraphy.

I mean c'mon, it's kungfu!
    Heh. I should have been more specific. It will indeed be traditional chinese calligraphy. I suppose I made the error in being too general....or japanese specific.

Eggman.

So do you really like your Kwan Dao forms or are you just a fan of the Patron God of War?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I have............................................wa it for it................................................ ....

a bear.

But, my next one will be a mantis.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    Thanks for your comments. I am thinking about getting them done at Cat Tattoo off of Beltline in/near Addison.

Eggman.
    Just make sure that they will do free touch up work for up to a month afterwords. I have a tribal/zodiac in between shoulderblades that needed to be touched up twice. It's nice and black now but I would have been PO'd if I had to pay for the two extra visits.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    So do you really like your Kwan Dao forms or are you just a fan of the Patron God of War?
    Well, Kwan Dao forms are cool and he certainly is the Patron God of War.....but that really doesn't have anything to do directly with my choice, interestingly enough. I like some of the ideals he represents:

Strength
    Integrity
    Honor
    Perseverence
    Patron of Martial Arts
    to name a few.

Thanks,
    Eggman.

good answer.

I just wanted to see what your shoulder was worth.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

:(

The only pics I can find on this pc at work of my tattoos are these two on my right arm.... The dragon head I drew up and to tell you the truth I wish I wouldn't have gotten it where I did... Being I'm really into iron arm training and took pride in how hard my arms were, that spot on the boney part of the arm is super sensitive now. Direct hits are fine but slaps feel like slapping sun burn all the time. The mantis is fine on the wrist side, but that outside one is a tough one to deal with... I'll put up the pics of my other mantis stuff when I get home tonight and can pull it off of that pc. The legs and upper arms I didn't have a problem with while training. Accept for the right leg that goes up to the knee on the outside was having a hard time healing because the skin was wrinkling from bending the leg. So after I had it touched up I had to walk around stiff legged as much as possible. So think about that when getting anything around bendy parts that the skin wrinkles up.

okay found a pick with some of the others.
    Last edited by shirkers1; 05-13-2005 at 01:53 PM.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Show us your tats

We ran an article on Kung Fu Tattoos way back in our July 2000 issue. In a sidebar at the end, we asked for readers to send us pics of their martial tattoos. We were hoping to get enough to do some sort of artsy layout thing but not enough were sent (and the ones that were, were ugly). We're still open to the idea. Maybe it could happen now from the web. Are you interested?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart