Blood Brothers
    Shaolin Rescuers
    Crippled Avengers
    Fist of the White Lotus
    Chinese Super Ninjas
    8 Diagram Pole Fighter
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Gaaaaah still so many I have to see! Thank goodness it is coming up to winter so I can hibernate and add more films to my dvd rental list!

Good to see you Su Lin
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Shaolin Martial Arts
    Disciples of Shaolin
    Men From the Monastery
    Shaolin Avengers (actually a remake of Men From Monastery)
    Heroes Two
    Five Shaolin Masters
    Shaolin Temple (original Chang Cheh version)
    Marco Polo
    The Boxer Rebellion
    The Kid from Kwangtung
    The Treasure Hunters
    The Magnificent Ruffians
    Martial Club
    Executioner from Shaolin
    Fist of the White Lotus
    Flag of Iron
    Dirty Ho
    36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Buddhist Palm
    Five Superfighters
    Heroes of the East
    Challenge of the Masters
    Gang Master
    The Kung Fu Instructor
    3 Evil Masters (a.k.a., The Master)
    Lovers' Blades
    Legendary Weapons of China
    Kid with the Golden Arm
    The Five Venoms
    House of Traps
    The Brave Archer part 4
    Two Champions of Shaolin

Ugh, I was a bit disappointed with 2 Champions of Shaolin. I felt it was just stupid. Showdown at the Cottonmill is a hundred times better. And Flag of Iron I really hated. It was so boring.

When I first saw Flag of Iron I hated it, too. But over the years I've come to like it. Not really for the fighting. Quite a few movies I used to not like or found boring that I like more now. Guess it's one of those unexplainables.

Also,some films that seem very popular don't always float my boat. For example, I always thought Avenging Eagles was kinda so-so. I think Return to 36th Chamber is fun but not that great a film. And, some movies I used to think were great I've seen more recently and felt weren't that great. Avenging Warriors of Shaoln (Shaolin Rescuers) is one example for me.

IMO, Showdown at the Cotton Mill is a great film, but it's not a Shaw film. Wu Ma directed it to be like the Chang Cheh Shaolin series, though Tan Tao-Liang would have been out of place in Chang's mid-'70s series. My list would be endless if it included both Shaw and non-Shaw films.

One Shaw movie that never seems to get mentioned is Lau Kar-Leung's Spiritual Boxer II from 1979. It wasn't a great film, but I almost forgot how it went. Part 1 was the first true kung fu comedy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Good to see you Su Lin
    Thanks

I have lots more homework to do now with that list! Seeing that my kung fu classes are being cut though I have more time on my hands

Hi jethro,

I as referring to the character played by Liu Chia Liang: Lei Kung. I do not know if this character appeared in Boxer Rebellion; unless Boxer Rebellion is a new title for the movie I saw.

By the way, I saw all of those movies I listed at the Music Palace in NYC"S Chinatown. That was a wonderful time for me. I would be in the audience with a bag full of hamburger bao from the Bamboo Garden and a quart of Tropicana orange juice. The trailers were classic, very much like the trailers for American movies back in the 1950's.

mickey

OK, I thought maybe you were talking about Chu Tiet Wo's character. When you say he was resurrected, what movie was this character in before?

Jethro:
    I *think* Hong Kong Playboys was possibly Maggie Cheung's fist movie appearance. It also starred Cherie Chung, who I think was hotter back then than Maggie Cheung was. It also co-starred that goofy guy...don't know his name, who appeared in some other comedies and Last Hero in China. I liked the chemistry in this one, not to mention it was Fu Sheng's last fully completed movie appearance, finished before 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. It came out the year he died.

mickey:
    By "resurrection of Lei Kung", did you mean by the fact that the character in Legendary Weapons resurrected his deteriorated kung fu skills back up to an elite level and rediscovered his true purpose?