Thread: Shaolin Special 2007 B

Hybrid View

Shaolin Special 2007 B

Our Nov Dec 2007 issue is our second Shaolin Special of the year (but we didn't have one for 2006, so you can just think of the Jan Feb 2007 as being late.

We've already got two discussion threads going on it (thanks ngokfei!)
    1st real shaolin monk in america
    Monks Initiation Ceremony

As always, there's a ton of Shaolin controversies in the issue. Shaolin is the only system that challenges the way we think so. Many find that negative, but many also don't understand the nature of Zen. I know I don't.

I'm excited that this one is eliciting some dialog so soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Make that three threads

You'll find the table of contents for the 2007 November/December: Shaolin Special here.

And thread #3 is here: Cover pics
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

new issue

The new shaolin special just raised the bar in terms of photography. The Deyang article had some partcular awesome photos. Looks like I might need to work on my sub par photo skills.

Good stuff
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

just picked up the new issue

i freaking loved it!! i have to admit i was getting a little bored with the few issue's but this one bvrought me back into the fold. i must further confess that i haven't brought an issue for the entire 07 year i read them at barnes and noble but i didn't think they were worth my 4 bucks, but this one was worth it just for the pictures. i hope the next issue is as good as this one.

speaking of 'firsts' in the us I am surprised you guys never did anything on Shi Yan Chang, Gene.

With all the glowing reports I ran out this morning a picked up Kungfu Magazine 2007 November/December.

Re: Featured Weapon, "Three-Pronged Double-Edged Blade"
    In the novel "Journey to the West " this weapon is called San Jian Liang Ren Dao (Chin.:三尖两刃刀) Three-Point Double-Blade Knife.
    According to the legends of our tradition at Shaolin this weapon was called: Fang Tian Ji (Chin.: 方天戟) or "Four Directions Heaven lance" In ancient times the Fang Tian Lance was considered a sacred weapon. In the book Feng Shen Bang (Canonization by the Gods) a divine general named Yang Jian (Chin.: 杨戬), also called Er Lang Shen (Chin.: 二郎神), used this weapon. This mythical weapon could be extended or shortened at will. Extended, one could use it as a ruler to measure the universe and heavens. It is said that General Er Lang Shen, the Heavenly Being, had three eyes that enabled him to see all things. Chinese myths portray Erlang Shen, as a powerful god who has a magical third eye in the middle of his forehead that sees truth. Er Lang Shen was also able to use his eyes as a weapon. In Buddhism he is considered a protective deity and the second son of the Northern Heavenly King Vaishravana.
    The legend continues and says that a military officer named Xiguan asked the monks of Shaolin Monastery to study the weapon and make improvements so that these skills could be passed on to future generations. Since that time beginners practice Fang Tian Lance with their eyes closed.

I found the version of the weapon in the article interesting in that it has a coin shape on the blade as well as the 4 petaled hand guard. You will note that ancient Chinese coins are round with a square hole in the center. The circle represents heaven while the square represents earth or the 4 directions. In Shaolin the character "Fang (Chin.: 方) is used in names of other weapons, such as the Fang Bian Chan 方便鏟 (Four Direction Spade), to convey the 4 directions.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 10-28-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks for the props guys

r.(shaolin) - Great post! I wish I had you write up that weapon. I was disappointed that I couldn't connect it to Shaolin to fit the special.

richard sloan - Believe it or not, I've never met Yanchang.

doug maverick - Think of your $4 as supporting the forum too.

Shaolindynasty - The technology of photography is getting much better. Freelance contributors have better access to better cameras - with digital, they don't have to wait for film. Of course, having several top level professional photographers focus their lenses upon Shaolin really helped. I doubt they will be doing the same for the other styles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    This mythical weapon could be extended or shortened at will. Extended, one could use it as a ruler to measure the universe and heavens. It is said that General Er Lang Shen, the Heavenly Being, had three eyes that enabled him to see all things.
    well that's certainly handy.

This months Kung Fu Magazine!

I start this thread after reading through this months special on Shaolin, and I have to say it was the most interesting read I've had in ages!

I am an avid collector of Martial Arts magazines, including UK publications like Combat & MAI but the trends seem to be focussing more on MMA nowadays, so I tend to look overseas for the latest in Chinese Martial Arts as you are pioneers in this field.

Well done to everyone who worked on this fantastic issue! I found the article on Hai Deng to be enlightening and an enjoyable read. What a legend...

Thanks for the props, LoneTiger108

A double post even.

I'm going to merge this with the Shaolin Special 2007B thread, but not until it comes off the newsstands because I like the title. There's a short thread on Hai Deng that emerged from this issue which you might want to check out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips