Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

Hybrid View

The Karate Kid

WILL SMITH TO DIRECT KARATE KID REMAKE

Actor WILL SMITH will be donning his director's cap for his next project - a remake of 1984's KARATE KID. The Pursuit of Happyness star, 39, is reportedly working on a modern-day version of the martial arts movie, with his nine-year-old son Jaden taking on the lead role of Daniel, originally made famous by Ralph Macchio. Smith Jr. will star alongside Rush Hour's Jackie Chan, who will play the boy's mentor, Mr Miyagi, according to reports.
    Any confirmation on this one?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Is nothing sacred?

The horror...the horror....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Tell me it isn't true. They're going to ruin a perfectly good, wholesome movie by trying to remake it using Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan as the teacher. I love Chackie Chan but he just doesn't seem to fit the charactor that we are all so used to imagining when we think of Mr. Miyagi. Does this mean that Danielson is now going to be Tyronson?

If Will Smith's son is 9 is this going to be a kids movie where one of the parents gets ****ed off and jumps in and Jackie opens up a can of whoop arse? I like Will Smith's movies and everything but to remake a project just so your kid can star in it, I am not sure.

Maybe they should remake Sidekicks instead afterall Chuck is still around.

semi-verified

A Karate Kid Remake?!
    UPDATED: IGN has heard an interesting rumor.
    by Stax

September 27, 2007 - IGN has been informed by a reliable source that Sony Pictures is developing a remake of The Karate Kid that will be produced by Will Smith's Overbook Entertainment and Jerry Weintraub. Weintraub also produced the 1984 film, starring Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, and its three sequels.

We were also advised that Smith's son Jaden, 9, is attached to star in the remake. Jaden Christopher Syre Smith starred opposite his dad in last year's The Pursuit of Happyness, which was also released by Sony. We understand that this new Karate Kid is currently out to writers.

IGN didn't hear back from Weintraub's office or Smith's reps by time of publish, so until there's official confirmation consider this a rumor.

UPDATED: IGN has verified that the Karate Kid remake is among the projects listed in agencies' open writing/directing assignment newsletters sent to their clients. Sony Pictures, however, has advised us they are not officially developing the project.
    There's some buzz about the idea on many film websites.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i doubt thats going to happen, its a huge rumour. and probably jut an idea. but if he does a retelling of it it might b good. stop hating.

Ohhh Nooo.

Now I know there is no God! Bad Idea folks. Next thing you know they'll want to remake Star Wars. Then again if George Lucas lives long enough, they probably will! Anything for another dollar, that's the capitalist way!

suddenly, i'm interested in this project again...

...very interested...

Stephen Chow to Direct Remake of 'The Karate Kid

Hollywood star Will Smith met actor-filmmaker Stephen Chow Friday in Hong Kong, where he attended the Asian premiere of the sci-fi thriller "I am Legend," and invited him to produce, direct and star in the remake of the hit 1984 martial arts movie "The Karate Kid."

Reports say Smith selected Chow because he likes the innovative actions in Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle," as well as his latest film "CJ7," which Smith had seen a rough cut edition at Sony Pictures Classics.
    Stephen Chow

Chow told the media, "I'm very fond of 'The Karate Kid' and would love to join in the remake project, no matter as a producer, director or actor. But it depends on my schedule. As you know, next year I will work on two movies, 'Dragon Ball' and 'Journey to the West.'"

Will Smith hopes to shoot the movie in China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We knew this was coming...

The next questions are who plays Miyagi and Ali?

Will's Kid To Be New Karate Kid

Dec 13 2007 Beverley Lyons And Laura Sutherland

HOLLYWOOD superstar Will Smith has confirmed his son is set to be the new Karate Kid.

The actor said nine-year-old Jaden is lined up to be the martial arts prodigy in a remake of the cult 80s film. He told US TV show Extra: "I met with a few people in China. We're looking to shoot there."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well if he shoots in china it should be called kung fu kid.

i told you guys to just be patient on this film, that it'll turn out right. don;t know if chow will direct i mean his plate is pretty full. the journey to the west thing look good. and he just finished producing the movie version of jump and he has dragon ball now to produce. the guy is a machine. hollywoods been wanting to work with chow more then jackie so i know they are happy.

People Mag coverage

About two dozen reciprocal articles fell out of the People mag piece across the web.
    First Look: Will Smith's Son Jaden is the New Karate Kid
    By Paul Chi
    Sunday November 29, 2009 11:00 AM EST

The boy's got chops!

Learning the moves of a true martial arts fighter, Will Smith's youngest son Jaden Smith is proving he has what it takes when he stars opposite Jackie Chan in a remake of the 1984 classic, The Karate Kid, due in theaters June 11.

"I trained every day for four months with Master Wu [the film's fight coordinator]," Jaden, 11, tells PEOPLE as he takes on his first leading role as an American boy named Dre Parker who moves to China. "We did a lot of stretching."

Jaden mastered front kicks and upper blocks through his hard work ethic and dedication, says Chan, 55, who plays maintenance man Mr. Han – an unlikely friend to Jaden's character. "He took the training very seriously. I was very impressed with him," he adds.

While filming in Beijing, including atop the Great Wall of China, Chan was more than a martial arts mentor to his young costar. "Jackie taught me to ask, 'My left or camera left?'" says Jaden on learning the important directions of acting in front of the movie camera. "That helped."

As the two stars built a dynamic relationship on screen, the teacher and student bond translated into real life. "Jaden had a lot of respect for me as his teacher, even off the set," says Chan. "He is professional as many adult actors who have been in the business for years."

And, as Jaden became a true karate kid, he realized that there is more to martial arts than just the kicking and punching – there are lasting lessons of obedience to be instilled. In fact Jaden's parents appreciate the discipline he learned. "His dad told me that Jaden had changed," says Chan. "When he takes his shoes off, he doesn't throw them in the corner, but puts them away neatly!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just got Sony's 2010 release slate

Maybe they're not calling it Kung Fu Kid after all. Good thing I didn't change the title of this thread yet.

THE KARATE KID
    June 11, 2010
    COLUMBIA PICTURES
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips