Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

Jackie chan isn’t sure of title

According to jadensmith.org MTV.com recently asked Jackie Chan if the title of the upcoming movie starring him and Jaden Smith was going to be “the Karate Kid” or “the Kung-Fu Kid” here is his answer:
    “We just finished the movie, ‘Karate Kid,’” Jackie Chan told me Wednesday at the People’s Choice Awards. “Um, the ‘Kung Fu Kid.’”

“I don’t know [what it’s going to be called],” Chan admitted of the film, which is due to hit theaters in June. “Probably ‘Kung Fu Kid’ in China and ‘Karate Kid’ in America. Maybe a different title? I don’t know. But mostly we’ve called it ‘The Kung Fu Kid.’”

“It’s a totally different story; a totally different story,” Chan insisted, arguing that the movie is not a strict remake. “I was in China, Jaden [Smith] was all the way from America. [The family moves] to China, then they see me, then it’s [about] how I teach him martial arts.”

Waffling over the title is a good viral marketing

Screen Rant and WorstPreviews had blogs on this.

This is amusing (but they certainly could have found a better pick of Elisabeth Shue): Where Are They Now?: The Karate Kid (PHOTOS)
    by Tim Kenneally on Jan. 27, 2010 09:00 AM

BoxOfficeMojo.com has a good overview of the numbers, like always.
    2010 Preview: The Karate Kid
    by Brandon Gray
    Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in The Karate Kid remake.
    January 26, 2010

Release Date: June 11
    Studio: Sony
    Genre: Action Drama
    Director: Harald Zwart
    Writer: Michael Soccio
    Cast: Jackie Chan, Jaden Smith, Taraji P. Henson
    Studio Description: 12-year-old Dre Parker (Smith) could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's (Henson) latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han (Chan), who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life.
    Watch the Trailer

Analysis: Produced by Will Smith and featuring his son, Jaden, in the title role and Jackie Chan as the martial arts mentor, The Karate Kid remake crane-kicks into action on June 11, the same weekend as fellow 1980s retread The A-Team. It appears to be less faithful to its source material than A-Team is. Key changes include a younger Kid than Ralph Macchio was in the 1984 smash, a new location that he moves to (China instead of Los Angeles; a big change because both the Kid and his mentor were cultural outsiders in the original, now it's just the Kid), a glossier veneer and a different martial art: kung fu instead of the titular karate (the picture has sometimes been called The Kung Fu Kid by its producers).

The original Karate Kid debuted in June 1984 to $5 million at 931 sites (or the equivalent of over $11 million adjusted for ticket price inflation) and ended its run at $90.8 million (or around $200 million adjusted). The Karate Kid Part II, in which the Kid goes to karate's native land Japan, made even more in 1986, but the franchise stalled with The Karate Kid Part III in 1989 and a 1994 revival called The Next Karate Kid, featuring the original's Pat Morita and Hilary Swank as his new student, failed, grossing $8.9 million in its entire run.

Though the franchise faded, martial arts remained a movie mainstay, though mostly in action movies as opposed to sports/coming-of-age dramas like Karate Kid. Recently, Never Back Down, a movie that was practically a remake of Karate Kid, delivered modest numbers, starting at $8.6 million and ending up with $24.9 million. That movie targeted teens and young adults, but the new Karate Kid is aiming for more of a family audience. Jackie Chan's reputation and popularity suggest that he's a good fit, and he recently mined similar material in the fantasy The Forbidden Kingdom, which opened to $21.4 million and closed with $52.1 million.

Ultimately, The Karate Kid remake is hoping that its universal underdog, fish-out-of-water and culture clash themes that help made the original such a success will translate into further box office glory.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    I like the title as "Karate Kid-the Movie." If you only follw hype and trailers yes you might want it as ...Kung-Fu Kid~...IIf the story is he relocated with his mother because of her job or new job, then tried to fightback and got trounced. Yes it is a same line of story but told nicely with differences to make it nice in its own right.

If you think you are not being hyppocritical, look at the movie the Karate Kid..It should perhaps have been called the karate kids because they were youths and All the movie had Karate as the thing. It was only Karate Kid due to misguided understandings or that in this new world/local/environ...he pulls out his weekend warrior martialarts to face dedicated practicing hot headed upastarts with years into weeky lengthy training. It was all he had but it was laughable which made the movie as this China Centered the name is making fun of his skill. It stands

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

i just watched the karate kid yesterday for a refresher. its a good film. calling this new one The Karate Kid Remake sits well with me, but just The Karate Kid is misleading. Its better to just call it what it is, imo, its not karate. if it was thai boxing id say "call it The Thai Boxing Kid" but its kungfu sooooo.....

1+1 = karate?

it sounds more like a tribute to karate kid than a remake, since its an all new story.
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-28-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Review of the trailer

I'm not sure if this video review of the remake trailer has been posted or not but I think it's quite funny and hits it right own the nose with what's wrong with the movie (well...the from what we can tell from the trailer that is)

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...tf/15202-ep012

I cant believe they were actually allowed to serve this tripe up for consuption.

Ahhh what a way...cobra kai rules

Kreese: What do we study here?
    Karate Class: THE WAY OF THE FIST SIR.
    Kreese: And what is that way?
    Karate Class: STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.
    Kreese: I can't hear you.
    Karate Class: STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    I'm not sure if this video review of the remake trailer has been posted or not but I think it's quite funny and hits it right own the nose with what's wrong with the movie (well...the from what we can tell from the trailer that is)

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...tf/15202-ep012
    Two points in this review--Right, like things are so bad in America that someone would move to China blah blab blah about the government. That's fine untlil a near second depression hits within a few years and companies as a standard outsource to other countries--China, India...And that a corporation might have a division inChina a greater than four thousand year old society using business most of that time. Also a society now building the biggest skyscrapperthe world has seen so-far...

A second mention was bad talking Jackie Chan's career in dealing with children. He partook in an animated series as a personality and a question and Answer at the end of each episode. Marketing to children forms a base that appeals to generations of children and then to adolescents then young adults...Smart and good.

No_Know...Karate was originally China Hands. Use the original writing for Karate in ads...- No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

The new trailer just dropped

Check out the official site.

Looks like they shot in Wudang. Nice.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Should have called it "The WuTang Kid."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Right now I am actually looking very much forward to seeing this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Right now I am actually looking very much forward to seeing this movie.
    i thought i was the only person looking forward to seeing this movie...well me and gene.

But we look forward to almost every martial movie coming out, Doug

Truth be told, I have high very hopes for this. I thought Jaden was great in Happyness. And I'm still a great fan of Jackie. And I remember when the original Karate Kid hit. It was a tremendous boon for the martial arts industry. We could sure use that now.

It's also major release that's shot in China. That's fabulous.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Truth be told, I have high very hopes for this. I thought Jaden was great in Happyness. And I'm still a great fan of Jackie. And I remember when the original Karate Kid hit. It was a tremendous boon for the martial arts industry. We could sure use that now.

The fact that Jackie Chan has actual kung fu knowledge and that the movie was filmed in China, will give film a genuine essence that the original Karate Kid movies never had, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

this true gene...this is true.. i especially like how they went the wu dong route instead of going shaolin.

I'm interested, for sure. I'll take my son, I'm sure he'll dig it.