Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

I saw a trailer for it, and it looks good. I may actually end up liking Jaden Smith's character for once in a movie. And it may become the best U.S. release for Jackie in years.

About a year ago, I watched the original Karate Kid again, and it hasn't really held up too well. Pat Morita was still cool, but everything else about it seemed so dated it was silly.

I just saw Karate Kid about a month ago too

And I totally agree with you, Jimbo. It's drenched in the '80s. The fashion, the cinematography, the whole feel of the film was horribly dated. When that Cruel Summer song came on in the soundtrack, I just had to laugh. What that film really needed was the Eye of the Tiger song somewhere.

I remember having some real issues with the choreography and the tournament finale. The whole tournament was so fake and that really bothered me at the time.

Morita definitely nailed Miyagi. And Macchio was Russo - it's the only character he has ever been. The villains were over the top, but I never believed Johnny's apology after sweeping the leg. Nor could I believe that the smoking hot Elizabeth Shue could fall for Daniel.

But still, that crane pose - freaking classic.

Ever see Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh come on!

The original Karate Kid is still awesome.

The cheesy 80's music and whatnot is part of the charm. It totally brings me back to the good old days.

And I never liked the Karate Kid for the choreography...no matter how many time I practiced the crane kick I knew the fight scenes were bad. (Since I grew up watching Chinese Kung Fu movies and TV series).

you want bad choreography and I mean sick in your stomach bad....go watch Karate Kid 3 (final fight) - I am limiting my choices to the 3 movies of course.

One thing I was really dissappointed with is that Daniel never seem to improve with his karate. Like he can't seem to handle a fight on his own without be trained (again I don't count Karate Kid 3 as handling himself...unless you're refering to a chubby kicking bag).

Like in the 2nd movie he was in the club and delivered a "cheap shot" to a guy's groin, 3rd movie he takes care of hench man but gets his ass handed to him by "bad boy" ....I am rambling....nevermind
    Last edited by iron_silk; 02-25-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just watched the new trailer. I really think this movie might be good. I will definetly go see it!

Every see Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank?[/QUOTE]

I saw The Next Karate Kid, but it's been so long ago I have only a few impressions of it. Wasn't it about Miyagi going to Massachusetts or somewhere, and taking a troubled girl (Hillary Swank) to a Japanese Buddhist temple? I remember something about a rock or sand garden(?). By then, the concept was really played out, though Swank wasn't bad at all. I thought she was definitely more convincing at the karate than Ralph Macchio. She was more athletically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Every see Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank?
    I saw The Next Karate Kid, but it's been so long ago I have only a few impressions of it. Wasn't it about Miyagi going to Massachusetts or somewhere, and taking a troubled girl (Hillary Swank) to a Japanese Buddhist temple? I remember something about a rock or sand garden(?). By then, the concept was really played out, though Swank wasn't bad at all. I thought she was definitely more convincing at the karate than Ralph Macchio. She was more athletically inclined.[/QUOTE]

More athletic? YES!

More convincing at karate? Heck to NO!

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

What's great about the Karate Kid was never the action.
    Last edited by iron_silk; 02-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.

I think the concept was played out after the first flick

But Hilary Swank was great, just like Elizabeth Shue. That makes Karate Kid the only martial arts film franchise that has had two Oscar-nominated leading ladies.

Don't get me wrong, iron_silk. I still respect the impact that film had on martial arts in American culture. But it feels painfully dated to watch it now.

As for Jaden in Wudang, I've stood on that incense platform they show in the trailer - the one with the snake. I'll be very curious how much of Wudang they showcase. It certainly ups the ante for this film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And I totally agree with you, Jimbo. It's drenched in the '80s. The fashion, the cinematography, the whole feel of the film was horribly dated. When that Cruel Summer song came on in the soundtrack, I just had to laugh. What that film really needed was the Eye of the Tiger song somewhere.

I remember having some real issues with the choreography and the tournament finale. The whole tournament was so fake and that really bothered me at the time.

Morita definitely nailed Miyagi. And Macchio was Russo - it's the only character he has ever been. The villains were over the top, but I never believed Johnny's apology after sweeping the leg. Nor could I believe that the smoking hot Elizabeth Shue could fall for Daniel.

But still, that crane pose - freaking classic.

Every see Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank?
    Wait? You don't think Macchio WAS Johnny Cade?

I never saw that.

I saw him in Crossroads, which was a film I liked but not because of Macchio. I felt he just reprized Danielsan for that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Outsiders is an awesome movie. One year before Daniel-san. Maybe Daniel-san was just Macchio reprising Johnny?

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    I saw The Next Karate Kid, but it's been so long ago I have only a few impressions of it. Wasn't it about Miyagi going to Massachusetts or somewhere, and taking a troubled girl (Hillary Swank) to a Japanese Buddhist temple? I remember something about a rock or sand garden(?). By then, the concept was really played out, though Swank wasn't bad at all. I thought she was definitely more convincing at the karate than Ralph Macchio. She was more athletically inclined.
    More athletic? YES!

More convincing at karate? Heck to NO!

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

What's great about the Karate Kid was never the action.[/QUOTE]

iron silk:
    And I agree that the strength of The Karate Kid was not in its fight scenes and clearly was never meant to be. But if a movie is called "Karate" Kid, then the actual performance of martial art should hold some level of importance.

I also feel there should not have been any sequels to the original. LaRusso/Macchio's skill maybe was acceptable for that one, but as it went into parts 2 and 3, his karate never improved (as you mentioned in an above post). And forgetting about the karate itself, his personality never seemed to grow. If anything, his personality and confidence seemingly regressed to zero by part 3. And the whole point of KK was the development of the whole person. I didn't like 2 at all, but 3 was a really big waste.

BTW, kinda weird that the top quote in my above post is attributed to iron silk, when I originally posted it(?).

I saw him in Crossroads, which was a film I liked but not because of Macchio. I felt he just reprized Danielsan for that.
    Steve Vai was the value add for that flick.

The Ry Cooder soundtrack didn't hurt it either. But yeah, Danielsan wasn't a convincing blues guitar prodigy in it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sony dropped a new international trailer

It wasn't up on the official site yet. Follow the link below.

New International Trailer for The Karate Kid
    Source:Sony Pictures
    February 26, 2010

Sony Pictures has revealed a new international trailer for The Karate Kid that you can watch using the player below. Opening in theaters on June 11, the Harald Zwart-directed film stars Jackie Chan, Jaden Smith and Taraji P. Henson.

In the film, 12-year-old Dre Parker (Smith) could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's (Henson) latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying—and the feeling is mutual—but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han (Chan), who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life.
    Note that the title Karate Kid is used derogatorily, just like yutyeesam predicted.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't get me wrong, iron_silk. I still respect the impact that film had on martial arts in American culture. But it feels painfully dated to watch it now.

As for Jaden in Wudang, I've stood on that incense platform they show in the trailer - the one with the snake. I'll be very curious how much of Wudang they showcase. It certainly ups the ante for this film.
    I'll be honest.

I didn't really care about the impact it had on martial arts in American culture. For one I'm from Canadian and two I just enjoyed it as a movie. PLUS there is a big nostalgic feel of the 80's since I grew up loving the 80's music and it brings me back to a more innocent time. I guess that's it.

ALSO Wu dang has definitely got some impressive stuff...I guess we'll see.