Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

^Yeah, I saw that too. I think that article should have emphasized more how the 80s generation execs that keep approving all these remakes(sequels are not remakes and that's what GB3 is) just don't have a lick of originality in them. I can see there being a legitimate reason for movies like Clash of the Titans, I don't see a legitimate reason for a Red Dawn re-make.

ya some of these remakes are partially shots at some easy money. because they know people will go see them for nostalgiac reasons. so it seems they are banking on that. which of course they'll make tons of loot.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

if anything deserves a remake its clash of the titans, i remember the original version and thinking i would love to see it done now with the new technology. however i dont think they should have made it 3d especially since it wasnt shot with 3D cameras, but done in post pro. and now with theaters making the huge mistake of going up on 3d prices, idk how it will do financially, i mean its gonna take the box office for sure but we'll see. as for red dawn, that could be a potential tent pole. which is what studios are looking for. not quick cash but tent poles that they can produce yearly.

Two friends just saw Clash of the Titans at Grauman's last night

Despite it being a red carpet affair, both had a tepid response to the film. I'm thinking Percy Jackson was better, even in 2D (and I love 3D). I'm betting no one beats Uma's performance as Medusa in Percy Jackson.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

just glad uma was in a hit. her film motherhood, is well on its way tobecoming the lowest grossing film of all time...it made only 134 bucks american on its opening night in the uk.... those are horrid numbers by any standards giving the amount of theaters it was in.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    if anything deserves a remake its clash of the titans, i remember the original version and thinking i would love to see it done now with the new technology. however i dont think they should have made it 3d especially since it wasnt shot with 3D cameras, but done in post pro. and now with theaters making the huge mistake of going up on 3d prices, idk how it will do financially, i mean its gonna take the box office for sure but we'll see. as for red dawn, that could be a potential tent pole. which is what studios are looking for. not quick cash but tent poles that they can produce yearly.
    The fight scenes in the new movie look ridiculous. Look at the new Calabos fight for a lesson on why movies shouldn't be remade.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/181008...JlUGhvdG9zMzE-
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

my kids think the movie should be called kung fu kid

my kids learn both wushu and karate.

they know the difference.

I said well they are all wushu.

so the question is that what do your kids think?

it is after all a kid movie.

and Smith's son thinks he is doing karate while all the other kids think that it is not karate he is doing,

how odd?

let us ask Jackie Chan that if he is teaching karate?

I mean hollywood may call it karate kid

but the chinese kids will call the movie kung fu kid.

so take your pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUdvgZeinm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-uMKYYN5Q&feature=fvw

I think JC said

I will teach you real kung fu.

He did not say kara te or did he?

you be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    my kids think the movie should be called kung fu kid

my kids learn both wushu and karate.

they know the difference.

I said well they are all wushu.

so the question is that what do your kids think?

it is after all a kid movie.

and Smith's son thinks he is doing karate while all the other kids think that it is not karate he is doing,

how odd?

let us ask Jackie Chan that if he is teaching karate?

your late to the party spj we've already discovered that the reason its called the karate kid is because jaydens character knows a little karate before he goes to china and after he gets beat they tease him by calling him the karate kid...which is a good way to maintain the title.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    your late to the party spj we've already discovered that the reason its called the karate kid is because jaydens character knows a little karate before he goes to china and after he gets beat they tease him by calling him the karate kid...which is a good way to maintain the title.
    wow, so it's kinda like a "kuhrotty sux, Kung-Fu rulz!" movie!
    (this will be great for business..for all us Kung-Fu guys!)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Enter The Karate Kid Challenge at Six Flags Parks Nationwide

The Karate Kid Challenge at Six Flags Parks
    Here's a novel promotion - smacks of reality TV. I wonder if kung fu kids can enter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even WSJ is late to the party

* April 2, 2010, 3:00 PM ET
    ‘The Karate Kid’ or ‘The Kung Fu Kid’?
    By Dean Napolitano

That’s the debate among movie fans over the remake of the 1984 film, “The Karate Kid.”

Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith star in the new version, also called “The Karate Kid,” which opens in the U.S. on June 11 and other global markets this summer. The trouble, however, is that Chan is a master of kung fu, a Chinese martial art, not karate, which originates from Japan. That fact has spawned a cottage industry of sorts, with numerous Web sites devoted to online discussions over the movie’s title.

The original, which starred Ralph Macchio and Noriyuki “Pat” Morita, tells the story of Mr. Miyagi, a Japanese handyman, who teaches teenager Daniel LaRusso karate in order to confront bullies. In the process, Miyagi becomes the boy’s mentor and father figure. Morita earned an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for his performance, and the movie spawned three sequels.

The remake takes a 12-year-old kid and his mother from Detroit and transports them into a new life in China. There, too, the young Smith (son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith, both of whom are among the movie’s producers) is teased and bullied by other kids before being taken under the wing of Chan’s Mr. Han character and taught kung fu.

The new movie’s detractors insist that the title of the remake should be “The Kung Fu Kid,” while fans eagerly awaiting the release don’t take issue with the name. Others just seem confused about the difference between Chinese kung fu and Japanese karate. (Kung fu and karate employ distinctly different movement techniques and each are steeped in their own cultural histories.)

On his official Web site, Chan himself refers to the movie as “The Kung Fu Kid” in postings last year during the filming. More recently, however, he acknowledged that the title is “The Karate Kid” but says the title in China will be “Kung Fu Kid.”

The movie’s official Web site explains it this way: Jaden Smith’s character, Dre Parker, knows some karate before arriving in China where he subsequently learns kung fu from Mr. Han.

But as one person wrote on Facebook: “We get that he knows a little Karate, but he learns Kung-fu from a Kung-fu teacher, fights against people who know Kung-fu in a Kung-fu tournament, in the land of…yep, you guessed it — Kung Fu! It’s like Batman being called Dog man, because he used to own a dog when he was younger.”

Still other online fans ask: Why mess with a proven brand name if you don’t have to?
    On a side note, my sources tell me that it won't be called Kung Fu Kid or Karate Kid in China at all. There's no need to evoke Karate Kid. That film was never a franchise in China - typical myopia on the behalf of American movie critics. But just think about it - why would the Chinese audience like Karate Kid at all?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cinemark's First Look

I caught the Cinemark's First Look preview on Karate Kid which had a lot of new footage. Looks like all the belly-achers about the title being karate and not kung fu will be put in their places. They showed the scene where Jaden is watching a karate video and trying to practice to it. They also showed a scene where Taraji is asking him about 'karate' and he's trying to explain to his mom that it's not karate at all. It all looks very promising.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enter The Karate Kid Challenge at Six Flags Parks

The Karate Kid Challenge just became a Tiger Claw Foundation project.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips