Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

oh jesus christ NO!!!!

I am sick and fukin TIRED of all these god d@mned REMAKES of movies

is there no fuking creativity LEFT in hollywood? Do these dumbfuks have ANY new ideas??? Why on earth would they even WANT to remake the Karate Kid???

Some Hollywood actor with more money than he/she knows what to do with is prolly sitting there thinking "gee uhh you know i think we NEED another "Terms of Endearment" movie. YEAH!! what a great idea, ill remake TERMS OF ENDEARMENT and i will put hot young actors in it and make it even BETTER then the original.

Or HEY because all the black hollywood actors think that Hollywood is more white oriented they will just make a black version of the film.

sorry i am just ****ed right now that the sanctity of an 80's timeless and oscar worthy that it never got movie is now being put in the hands of the fresh prince

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

i'm gonnatell yu what i tell other firends of mine u don't like it make your own movies or just don; go see it. thats the thing about movies u don;t have to see it. and if if people don;t see it people don;t make it. and i'm not gonna get into the "black verson" comment but whatever

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    I feel your pain. Will Smith's son is playing the student. What's this world coming to? I guess instead of Danielson it's going to be Tyroneson. He's going to be a troubled youth on crack and stealing hub caps and Mr. Miyagi is going to teach him karate to get him off crack.

my POINT about the "black version" comment is that like the remakes that are going on they are nestled deeply in the RIDICULUOUS and STUPID. its not about going to see it or not it is KNOWING that it is out there and that eventually my cat like curiosity will want to rent it or spend a hard earned dollar at the $ movie house and waste 90 minutes of my life.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

How about the movie coming out about the black mafia gangsters. Who ever heard of such. There are black gangs but a black mafia, come on? Get Real. It's about the same thing. Their trying to re-do the Godfather. You can tell by the advertisements for that movie that thats what thier going for. Just ridiculous. Instead of putting a hit out on someone thier just going to cap em'......lol.

Actually i am looking forward to seeing "American Gangster". it looks good and not your typical Ice Cube "im from the ghetto ill bus a cap in yo a$$" movie.

of course i have ALWAYS been a fan of Ridley Scotts work. Peace,TWS

The Karate Kid era

Anyone who was in the martial arts business in 1984 remembers the incredible windfall for the entire industry. The martial arts economy made an amazing leap, one of the largest in American history. Karate Kid stands alone as the most significant crossover film for the martial arts. That horde of new students filled the McDojos and the genuine schools alike creating more income for school owners and that spread across the entire martial industry. Sure, a lot of them quit. A lot of them always quit. That's the nature of martial arts. It's hard. It's not for everyone. But some stayed, more than what would have if the Karate Kids didn't come. What's more, those that quit at least walked away knowing a little more about martial culture.

I'm with Doug. I hope this does get made. I don't expect a lot but if you're a fan of martial arts movies, you're used to being disappointed. I don't really care about Danielson and Miyagi. I want to know who will play Ali.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

you know......

i am reminded of a great quote froma movie called Jurassic park where Malcolm played by jeff goldblum says "you people were so preoccupied with whether or not you could clone dinosaurs you didnt stop to think if you SHOULD".

well i put the same quote with the obvious changes with respect to remaking certain films.

we have come quite a long way since the 80's and martial arts films and i think that we can ALL Safely say that the martial movies of the past and now do their job of creating the market for the different styles and Mc Kwoons and McDojos out there. why do we need any more movies like Karate Kid? Its nostalgia and i would be on board if it werent for the fact that i think this remake is going to be STUPID and nothing more than a rich actors attempt to do something with his quadrillions that he should be doing something more productive with, rather than RE-making a film that has long since gone into the nostalgia vault.

Here is the actors line up for Wil SMiths Version

Karate Kid: His son of course
    Mr Miyagi: Morgan Freeman
    Ali: Queen Lahtifah
    cobra Kai instructor:snoop dog
    cobra kai Bully: dave chappelle

Looks like a GREAT line up

Peace,TWS

I was thinking more along the lines of Grandmaster Sin The' as the Cobra Kai Instructor and for Daneiel-son they could have Gary Coleman play the part. For Mr. Miyagi they can get Morgan Freeman or if Red Foxx was alive then him.

actually it is Jackie CHAN who is rumoured to play Mr Miyagi. Maybe this remake will be uhhhh watchable?

Peace,TWS

the only thing I liked about the original series was Miyagi.
    A moral, ethical, humble walking fighting machine !!

Dude, if that is not the prototype for a Sensei, nothing is !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'll give it the benefit of doubt

It's fun to see the knee-jerk reactions to this project here. For all we know, the project could be totally re-imagined, sort of like City of Fire into Reservoir Dogs. That's unlikely, of course, but I wouldn't get all rabid in denying this before I knew a little more. Oh wait, I forgot. This is our forum. We rabidly deny everything before we know the facts here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How about the movie coming out about the black mafia gangsters. Who ever heard of such. There are black gangs but a black mafia, come on? Get Real. It's about the same thing. Their trying to re-do the Godfather. You can tell by the advertisements for that movie that thats what thier going for. Just ridiculous. Instead of putting a hit out on someone thier just going to cap em'......lol.
    your a moron who really doesn't know alot about waht going on in the world today. first offf american gangster is not about a black mafia it is nothing like the godfather either(ho do i know this well i worked on the set) its a true story about a drug dealer named frank lucas. oh and the "Black mafia" or what FBI calls the black mafia is real and very hard to crack, the feds have been trying to do it since th 60's when it came into being. but the idea of a black mafia goes back to l capone but thats another story and this a thread abouta film that may not evn be. i remember when kill bill was first anounce everyone on this board was bad mouthing it and saying how horrible it was going to be then it came out and all of u were sucking tarrintino's ****. and so what if the film is staring a black kid, let it its just a movie. willow sword i see what you were saying and i'm with you on that, but think about it we would all like more ma films made but if there is no demand for them then hollywood is not gonna waste money on it so just be happy that a top earner like will smith once to attach his name to it weather he should direct or not is an entirely defferent story. all i'm saing this is not imdb this a M.A. media forum lets act like we have some sence and as for mr. racist up ther talking abouta nine year old kid being on crack. grow up man

doug:
    Maybe I am out of touch...I actually pay as little attention to Hollywood anymore as I can. But a lot of the young people I see around are into that stuff, even lots of the boys. That, and the opposite spectrum, they are into watching/talking about, and a small few actually practicing, MMA, moreso than karate/kung fu.

Oh, yeah, before Kill Bill came out I was one of those who was looking forward to it. But I have to say I WAS really glad Tarantino did not play Pai Mei; that would have been stupid.

whats funny is, will smith in wold wild west played a role originally played by a whiteman. no complaints there from anyone. if a white man played a role originally played by a black man, al sharpten would be all over it. nothing against you doug, you know i love tlaking and working with you, its just the other a-holes out there. and yes there are the a-hole white people too.

heck i am going to remake shaft and play shaft!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.