Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

Great Movie.

Saw it with the whole family and the Kung Fu school.

I wasn't expecting much. I was just hoping it wouldn't suck. I was pleasantly surprised.

Everyone was participating in the moving. Cheering and clapping. At one point my oldest son (less than 10) leans over and says 'I feel like I'm there watching the tournament'.

Where I'm from, we're reserved. Cincinnati takes digs for having subdued fans in sports and concerts. The movie crowd was animated.

I thought it was great, and definitely better than the original. There was a couple of hoke things, but for the most part, pretty good.

I saw it last night, and like previous posters, I was surprised at how good it actually was.

One of my favorite scenes is the trip to Wudang. Except for the cobra. That was just dumb. The fact that you never heard a sound from the monks, even as they practiced their kung fu was a nice touch.

Although over-the-top, the crane technique was pretty awesome.

I'm going to go see it again tonight with my wife.

What styles if any do you recognize in the new Karate Kid movie?

56 million

40 million dollar budget. its officially a monster and jaden now has a tentpole franchise...****. funny thing the projection was 45 and then got dropped down because of the slump. but the slump was due to over priced imax 3d and **** movies. the summer is here ya'll!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    What styles if any do you recognize in the new Karate Kid movie?
    He did a basic Chang Chuan wushu Form Wubuquan in the movie.

The fighing was more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjRpTNWv7dY than kung fu.

It wasn't the kung fu action that made the movie good.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It wasn't the Karate action that made the original good either

I'm in the camp that like this one better than the original, mostly because the original is so dated now. I'll be interested to see if this one gets dated in 30 years. Will Poker Face be as dated as Cruel Summer? Probably. I'm already working on the remake of this remake.

For me, it's a lot like the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven or Yojimbo/A Fist Full of Dollars remakes. both versions are very enjoyable.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yeah, the only thing I didn't like was how much they made Chan like Miyagi. The fragmented sentence replies to Jaden's questions. The jacket on-jacket off training. Fortunately, that was only a small part of the movie. The rest of the training was more realistic.

And Jackie's fighting when he pulled the group of bullies off of Jaden seemed more like Tai Chi than anything else to me, but what do I know.

And only us Americans would go to another country with no concern whatsoever about learning the language of that country, lol...
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Must... post... here...

Jackie Chan Hates Karate Kids

Worth it for the Hilary cameo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Has Jaden trained previously in kungfu/wushu? From the trailers I've seen so far his side kick is very high but the mabu was so-so. Shifu forces me to go much, much lower than what he did in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Jackie Chan Hates Karate Kids

Worth it for the Hilary cameo.
    That was priceless. I was laughing out loud.

Glad you like that, Chief_Suicide

It's doing very well in the International markets, as predicted.
    'Karate Kid' bagged Rs.45 mn in India
    IANS, Jun 15, 2010, 12.49pm IST

Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan starrer "The Karate Kid" has earned Rs.4.5 crore (Rs.45 million) in its initial weekend in India.

Gaining the top spot at the US box office this weekend with $56 million, the Sony Pictures' movie released here in three languages - English, Hindi and Tamil. The dubbed Telugu version will release July 2.

"The film has universal appeal and has been greatly appreciated by action fans and family audiences. We continue to expect strong numbers in the coming week, thanks to the extremely positive word of mouth and the fact that many shows were housefull during the weekend," Kercy Daruwala, Sony Pictures' managing director, said in a press statement.

Talking about the film's promotion here, Sony's director-marketing Bhavesh Thakkar said: "Due to ongoing summer vacation and the central character being a kid we targetted them aggressively... We also targeted Tamil Nadu very strongly since it has a huge and loyal Jackie Chan fan base," he added.

"The Karate Kid" also opened at the top position in several Asian markets including Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Philippines and is still to release in territories like Europe and China.

Directed by Harald Zwart and produced by Jaden's superstar father Will Smith, it is a remake of the 1984 film of the same name.

The plot revolves around a Detroit-based 12-year-old boy Dre Parker who moves to China with his mother. When he joins school, he is bullied by his classmates. He makes an unlikely ally in the form of his ageing maintenance man Mr. Han, a Kung Fu master who teaches him the secrets of self-defence.
    'Karate Kid' Kick-Starts the Summer, 'A-Team' B-Listed
    by Brandon Gray
    June 14, 2010

What a difference an appealing movie can make. After weeks of soft box office, overall business perked up nearly ten percent over the same weekend last year, thanks to The Karate Kid. The remake of the 1980s smash debuted far beyond genre norms, and it more than doubled the opening of fellow '80s rehash, The A-Team, which was relatively sub-par.

The Karate Kid rallied $55.7 million on approximately 5,300 screens at 3,663 locations. That ranked as the second-highest grossing launch ever for a martial-arts-themed picture behind only Karate Kid star Jackie Chan's Rush Hour 2. According to distributor Sony Pictures' research, 53 percent of the audience was female, and 56 percent was under 25 years old. Parents and their children accounted for 45 percent of moviegoers, meaning that the picture appealed as more than just a family movie.

Since the original Karate Kid movies played in a different box office era, there is no apples-to-apples comparison, though the new Karate Kid more than doubled the first weekend attendance of Part II, which was the franchise's previous high. Adjusted for ticket price inflation, the 1984 original made the equivalent of over $215 million, while the sequel earned nearly $250 million. The first one was the fifth-biggest movie from 1984, while the sequel was the fourth-biggest from 1986. Though it changed a number of elements (namely going from karate to kung fu), the new Karate Kid essentially morphed the first two movies: there was the basic plot of the first one, combined with the exotic travelogue appeal of the second.

Recently, knocks against Hollywood's lack of originality have resonated more loudly than usual in light of the slow times at the box office. But this weekend demonstrated what's really going on: general audiences aren't that hung up on whether something's a retread or not; it's the rote retreads that turn them off. The Karate Kid was a movie that did not rest on the laurels of its famous brand. It went all out with a grand and relatable underdog story with clear marketing that took the time to set-up the story and characters. The A-Team, on the other hand, came off as a generically slick action picture with no story in its advertising, banking on the television show branding to distinguish it.

The A-Team bagged $25.7 million on around 5,200 screens at 3,535 locations, and, though sizable in other contexts, that amount was below average for a live-action television adaptation in terms of the implied attendance. The gross was comparable to Miami Vice, but attendance was significantly less, and most action-oriented TV-based movies have fared even better. The A-Team also floundered when compared to other absurd action movies like G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, XXX, Con Air and Live Free or Die Hard, although it wasn't as disastrous as Stealth or the last "men-on-a-mission" movie, The Losers ($9.4 million). Distributor 20th Century Fox's exit polling bore out the movie's limited appeal, indicating that 59 percent of the audience was male, and 61 percent was over 25 years old.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nevermind shopping for a Mook Yan Jong.
    I'm going to IKEA and buying a coat rack!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

What they could have done-

Here are my thoughts on what they should have changed-

1-Hated the ending kick-should have been a snake style move-that you saw him struggling with during training-like maybe a classic snake sit down spin,leg takedown to mount and then not hit him when he is down-the kick was more capoeria then kung fu

2-Horrible training sequences and the whole jacket on off didn't work-with the wealth of Knowledge that Jackie has had with training sequences,they could have been much better,more hard core Kung Fu,since Jackie was teaching him "real " kung fu-a good example-at the end,during the credits-you see Jayden trying to kick from the mud-a better scene to leave in then just marching in it-
    Part of the Original's charm was him trying to do the kick,and then pull it off in the final move-and in that instant,the audience realized-"Do right,no can stop!" Intercept!
    In this regard-kicking the bell-COULDA/SHOULDA been the final move-but they used it very early in the fight-and opted for the stupid head-snake mind meld thing-followed by a kick that couldn't happen and we never saw him try-so there was no emotional investment in it

3-This could have been a huge thing,but film WU SHU vs. real KUNG FU--Evil Master Li's Wu Shu vs. Jackie 's Old School

4-Better if they had all bowed to Jackie and call him Sifu,or at least the bully bows to Jayden and calls him brother

Just my opinion

P.s.-

I loved the movie-

Drinking from the Kung Fu fountain-Priceless !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    After seeing the trailer, I had hoped they were going to tie in the "put on jacket, take off jacket," training sequence with Chen Taij's "Lazy tying on coat," which might've been cool. Oh well.
    As you say, It was still a cool flick, and I am sure will inspire a new generation of Kung-Fu students. (from my mouth to God's ears...)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.