Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

I wonder if they thought the original was too violent...

...oh right, they probably never saw the original.
    'Karate Kid' causes furor
    By WENN.COM

The Karate Kid has sparked outrage in Australia, with campaigners condemning the movie for showing "brutal" violence inappropriate for children.

The picture, starring Jackie Chan and Will Smith's son Jaden, was originally rated M - recommended only for mature audiences - but after an appeal from distribution chiefs at Sony Pictures, it was downgraded to a PG (parental guidance advised).

The decision makes the film more accessible to children, but bosses at The Australian Council on Children and the Media are fuming about the change - and are urging parents to exercise caution when allowing their kids to see it.

Vice-president Elizabeth Handsley says, "The movie presents violence as a solution to bullying, which is absolutely wrong. Strong violence by a sympathetic character with little or no consequences is shown.

"Just because your 12 year old can watch the movie, doesn't quite mean that your eight year old can too. It might be very inappropriate."

Council Board member and child psychologist Dr C. Glenn Cupit adds, "The violence is quite brutal and of an adult type. It is inflicted by children on other children. It's young children doing the bashing up. Further, the violence inflicted does not show real-life outcomes of serious kicking and punching... a young audience may not appreciate what will surely result if they copy that violence."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I saw this the other night. Wow.

I went into it expecting the worst but the movie was actually enjoyable to watch and had some funny parts in it. For nostalgic reasons I think the original is better, but the new version imparts the same good values that I remember as a kid.

If you are a gongfu practitioner, you owe it to yourself to watch it. And bring the kids.

I haven't seen it yet but hopefully it will completely overshadow the original. I hate the original with a passion.

Sorry to the youngters who grew up amazed by the original but it was complete crap. At least now there's real MA in it.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

kind of bored.

all about fighting from the beginning to the end.

I was looking for a heart warming tale.

---

This article is spot on

While some are still quibbling about why it's called "Karate Kid" or if Han could beat up Miyagi, here's a 'big picture' review.
    Published: July 2, 2010 3:00 a.m.
    Political power shifts apparent in ‘Kid’ remake
    Howard Schneider

A movie that gets fans to stand on one leg and flap their arms would hardly seem like a platform for a lesson in geopolitics. The 1984 version of “The Karate Kid” owes its iconic status, in large part, to its timeless themes of teen-age anxiety, courage and moral redemption – not to anything it might tell us about the United States’ role in the world.

But when paired with its summer 2010 remake, the two movies offer a parable on the transformation of the global economy, the end of the American century and the changing balance of power between the United States and Asia. Between Jackie Chan’s sly digs about global warming and Jaden Smith’s status as a refugee of the U.S. economy, you can almost feel the world’s center of gravity shifting.

Rewind the Betamax to 1984 and you’ll recall that, back then, California was still the promised land, the place where the film’s teenage protagonist, Daniel LaRusso, and his mom had moved from New Jersey to start a new life. It was also the place to which the family of Daniel’s Japanese mentor, Mr. Miyagi, had immigrated years before.

The original movie’s America was a land of exterior allure and interior motion, a place that allowed an old Japanese karate master and an Italian-American kid from Jersey to form a life-altering friendship. It was the melting pot at its most potent.

It was also an America halfway through the Reagan years, a superpower at the height of its Cold War influence but still coming to terms with its own strength, still grappling with the proper uses of force. Between oil shocks and inflation, the 1970s and early 1980s had not been great for the economy. But if the United States worried about imports, trade deficits and currencies, it was Japan that provoked concern.

Interwoven with crane kicks and Cobra Kais, the movie offered some subtle moralizing on U.S. conflicts of the past half-century: Miyagi was not just any Japanese immigrant, but a World War II hero who had fought against his native land on America’s behalf and whose wife and son had died in childbirth in a U.S. internment camp. Meanwhile, the bullies who antagonized Daniel were trained by a Vietnam veteran whose merciless approach to martial arts contrasted with Miyagi’s karate-as-life-lesson approach. A corny device, but also laden with overtones of “Vietnam bad, World War II good.”

In hindsight, this was not just a coming-of-age flick, but a uniquely American film that adroitly captured national dynamics, circa 1984.

Jump to the new version. Japan – diminished on the world stage by a lost decade of economic stagnation, an aging and contracting population, a once-mighty yen facing marginalization – has disappeared from the story.

U.S. interests in Asia now revolve around China, and the movie has been set in Beijing in what amounts to a two-hour-plus advertisement for the country, featuring stunning landscapes, smog-free skies and a Forbidden City void of police. (Perhaps the $5 million in funding from the Chinese government, together with permission to film in the country, helped shape the outcome? That’s a question for Jaden’s dad, Will Smith, one of the producers.)

Key plot dynamics are reversed. America is no longer the land of opportunity. The boy protagonist, Dre Parker, has left the economic mayhem of urban Detroit. He and his mother have been transferred by an unnamed car company from a failing factory in Michigan to a presumably thriving one in China. No more escaping to the surfer ’burbs of California. Presumably no jobs are there, either.

Instead it is all the way to an apartment complex in downtown Beijing. As Dre’s mom announces, China is now home. This is no temporary ex-pat gig, it appears, but a full-blown inversion of the immigration patterns that defined the modern global economy.

It’s an improbable reversal that speaks directly to the American anxieties of 2010. If the United States is no longer a beacon for ambitious immigrants – and indeed is exporting bright young families – maybe it is in decline.

China, it would seem from the movie’s perspective, is clearly the future. Dre, thumbing through a dated book about the country, expects to find nothing but old Fu Manchu characters and crumbling buildings. Instead he is awed by the sparkling Olympic village, the cute young women, the parks buzzing with activity – tai chi, soccer, basketball, music. It seems as if everybody in China has an outdoor hobby.

As in the original, the boy is beset by bullies, and there’s still a malevolent martial arts teacher. Various bits of dialogue and key scenes are retained from the original, and the remake is still a fun ride on a young-meets-old, East-meets-West and good-beats-bad level.

But it tells a different story.

Mr. Han, the Mr. Miyagi successor played by Hong Kong-born martial arts crossover star Jackie Chan, turns out to be not just the building handyman, but a full-fledged kung fu master. (This remake might be better titled “The Kung Fu Kid,” because karate, more associated with Japan, has been replaced by the Chinese martial arts discipline.)

For all we know, Han might also have been advising the Chinese government at the Copenhagen climate talks last fall. He is, at any rate, a handyman with an environmental conscience.

When the new Americans complain of a broken water heater in their apartment, he explains that they only have to flip the switch and wait half an hour before showering, then turn the heater off.

There’s a switch? They seem puzzled. In the United States, hot water is always just there.

Put in a switch, Han lectures, and save the planet.

There’s a blunter moment as well. Like Miyagi in the original, Han plays briefly at trying to catch a fly with a pair of chopsticks – but then abruptly pulls out a flyswatter and smashes the insect.

There’s little doubt where the flyswatter was made, but by the end of the movie one might wonder: Was that a joke or a warning?
    Howard Schneider covers international economics for the Washington Post.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    so... is there any karate in the movie?
    why do they called it the karate kid?
    just go see the movie. you say you don't want to see it, yet you keep inquiring...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    kind of bored.

---

I thought it was very heartwarming. Dre and Mr. Han helped each other, and the bond they formed was endearing. The scene with the car was heartbreaking for me.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

spoiler alert

yes xiao dre lost his father, maintenace man han lost wife and son in a car accident

they were arguing and car went out of control

so he fixed the car, painted it only to destroy it with a hammer on the accident date every year.

the car is a shrine in the living room.

sometimes we have to let things go.

xiao dre has to let life in detroit go in order to move on and live a new life in beijing.

mister han has to let go the grieving

they both found each other father figure/son figure sort of

---

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    kind of bored.

---

A Heart-warming tale of:

- a man who lost his family in an instant
    - a boy who'd lost his father
    - a mother doing the best she can for her son
    - friends having to seperate
    - friends who find each other
    - a bully who learns Might is Right, with Compassion and Consideration
    - a teacher who finds a student with a good Heart and Promise
    - a student who finds a teacher who is good for his life
    - a musician who learns to feel to play
    - a School Headmaster who knows when to let children work-out their differences
    - a boy looking to become a man~
    - a boy who learns respect to one's parent cab bear leaaons that are helpful in otherareas of Life
    - Loves
    - Realizations
    - Promises
    - Friendships
    - Relationships
    - Guilt
    - Dilligence
    - Kung-Fu...

Living is a struggle--a fight. Heartwarming tale? I lika heartwarming tale of a by who has to give up friends and the life he knows. It's hard enough to find one good riend but devestating to have to leave your best friend. It's lonely in the world. We deal with it privately day to day. Comfort of familiarity helps. Now Life as he knows it is Gone. No Comfort. No Familiarity. One ounce of Joy is bronen by an opponent you cannot defeat. Fear and Sorrow overtakes him But Life goes on...A man who loves you like a father a son--Sifu--older man. Considerate of your mother's plight. You learn to deal ewith boys with bad attitudes. A cultural bridge with the friendship of a girl. And having the comfort of Self that you are secure whereever in the world you go of being a good person considerate of others and win hearts by Compassion.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 07-07-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: One too many quotes
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

1. in real life, bully is every where.

sometimes, you have to avoid them.

splash a bucket of water and then run away?

weak point.

2. knee hurting, continue to fight so as not to fear any more

weak point.

--

many and many weak points

thus disappointed big time.

--

1. if it is an accident, there is no one to blame.

marry another and live

instead of living in the nightmare over and over every single day

swallowing the pain and grieves every moment of his life.

no changing facts, lives lost may not be regained--

2.the kid needs to grow up

make friends, learn chinese,

not to make enemies

3. stay away from the girl, problem solved from day one.

not to pick up the violin notes, and just leave.

learn some social skills. know when to advance and when to retreat. zhi jin tui.

no needs to learn kung fu and fight a tournament

---

---

He was just a kid. Kids do stupid things. You are analyzing a child's behavior with the mind of an adult.

Thanks for the extra 20 mins...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

yes. it is a kid movie.

Just in case you missed it...

I already posted this on the announcements and on JULY AUGUST 2010: The Karate Kid cover story thread.

Our 2010 July/August cover story is now online.

Is The Karate Kid a Kung Fu Dream?

Were we the only mag to go with a KARATE KID cover? I didn't even see any Hollywood film mags cover it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I already posted this on the announcements and on JULY AUGUST 2010: The Karate Kid cover story thread.

Our 2010 July/August cover story is now online.

Is The Karate Kid a Kung Fu Dream?

Were we the only mag to go with a KARATE KID cover? I didn't even see any Hollywood film mags cover it.
    Interesting you mentioned this. For as much hype and build up it had for its release, it feels very much like it is yesterday's news...meaning, I don't hear as much about it anymore.

For as good as a movie as it is and how many people saw it, I don't know how much it is really connecting with people on a visceral level...
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy