Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

That's really funny, doug

I'll have to ponder that a little more.

Meanwhile, anyone else catch the dancing ninjas backing Bieber at the Grammys as he did Never Say Never with Jaden? Click for the vid below.
    Bieber’s Dancer Falls At The 2011 Grammy’s
    Jason
    Fernando & Greg, Fernando & Greg,Fernando's Celebrity Scoop
    2/14/2011
    6:38 am

While the Bieber was on his way to a flawless performance one of his back-up dancers slips while doing a flip. The dancer gets back up but seems to bereally hurt, will Biebers dancer be ok?

Justin Bieber’s performance lit the house up at 2011 Grammy’s giving the whole world a little temperature! As the young singer performed his single ” Never Say Never” his back-up dancer catches the fever and falls while doing a flip. The dancer quickly gets back up but it’s clear he is extremely hurt. As we all know dancing at the Grammy’s can be scary and some might fall, lets just hope the dancer can recover. Sources say Bieber was unaware of the fall but is glad it did not affect his performance. Check out the video and judge the FEVER fall yourself!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

karate kid 2

jackie recently posted pics on his facebook, of meetings for the second movie with will and his manager. im actually excited to see it. thought this was one remake that was hands down amazing. and arguably more superior then the original. hopefully they wont rush it. and flesh out a good script. luckily jackie has the craziest schedule in the world, and i think jaden as well as his sister is on tour with justin beiber. so hopefully that gives time to fasten a really good script.

i for one won't be in any rush to see a part 2 seeing as how i was thoroughly disappointed with the first one. i know it's a remake and all but it was too similar to the first that it even made me enjoy the original better.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Pat Morita's deadpan delivery was flawless.
    Although I do think Jacky Chan can do the same, I was dissapointed with the way they made his character too serious. I would've preferred a more comedic approach.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It seems like Jackie is trying to branch off and away from comedic acting/performances. Obviously, he can't do the kind of physical comedy at the same level he did when he was younger. In terms of dry verbal comedy in an English-language movie, Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi would have had Jackie beat by a mile, IMO. But though the new Karate Kid was a remake, it's also a very different movie, and one I ended up liking better than the original.

A number of comedic actors tend to become more serious in their roles as they get older. A couple examples include Robin Williams and Jim Carrey. I'm sure it's tough to remain slapstick/goofball-funny the older they get.

Jackie has been doing serious films for 3 decades now

For example, Island of Fire (1991) wasn't comedic. Quite the opposite. His serious stuff just doesn't get wide distribution here. I didn't find Karate Kid that much of a break from stereotype for Jackie. It still had its comic elements. It was just that he played 2nd fiddle to Jaden. Take Shinjuku Incident - now that was more a of break from stereotype.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,
    I agree with you about Island of Fire. There were also movies like Heart of the Dragon and, kung fu-wise, Dragon Fist, Hand of Death, and New Fist of Fury among others in which Jackie was serious.

However, regarding his role in Island of Fire, I'm not certain it was all Jackie's choice. When the movie came out in Taiwan in '91, I remember reading somewhere that Jackie was obligated to be in Island of Fire to repay a 'favor' to Jimmy Wang Yu. My biggest recollection of that movie is that Jackie really didn't look like he wanted to be in it, and it appeared he felt that way beyond his role as a convict.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-19-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Just got around to seeing this. Great film. Some touching moments between student and teacher i think many martial artists can feel. i like that the fighting dragon students had honor and showed respect to the teacher of their rival when beaten, nice touch.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Win the KARATE KID on Blu-Ray Disc!

Enter to win KARATE KID on Blu-Ray Disc. Contest ends 03/25/2011.

Prizes provided courtesy of Sony Movie Channel Martial Arts Mayhem.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jaden ca$he$ in

Jaden Smith -- Multi-Million $$$ Pay Out for 'Karate Kid'
    5/1/2011 1:00 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

He's only 12 years old -- but last year, Jaden Smith pulled in SEVEN FIGURES to star in "Karate Kid" ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ obtained Jaden's "KK" contract from June 2009 -- back when he was only 10 -- and according to the docs, his up-front fee was split into two installments ... one for $900,000 and one for $100,000.

But Jaden's back end deal was even more lucrative -- since the film topped $150 million in the domestic box office, the young actor locked down another $2 million bonus.

But $3 million is the bare minimum -- based on several additional in-contract perks AND the astronomical success of the film, Jaden likely pulled in even more.

He's still the poorest person in his family.
    This is really ironic in light of Ralph Macchio working it on Dancing with the Stars. Ralph Macchio Performs The Quickstep On 'Dancing With The Stars'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

30 years ago...

See the Cast of ‘The Karate Kid’ Then and Now
    by Britt Hayes

Columbia Pictures

Released in 1984, ‘The Karate Kid’ told the story of young Daniel, a teenager who learns the Japanese art of karate from his neighbor Mr. Miyagi (the late, great Pat Morita) to help defend himself from school bullies. Now, almost 30 years later, we take a look back at the cast of this film and see what they’re up to these days.
    Ralph Macchio, Daniel LaRusso

Columbia Pictures/Getty Images

Then: Charlie Sheen was offered the role of Daniel LaRusso before it went to Ralph Macchio. In the film, Macchio plays a teen who transfers to a new school and gets picked on by a group of boys who are training in some rather unethical martial arts. At the time of filming, Macchio was actually 22 — he went on to star in two more ‘Karate Kid’ films.

Now: Macchio most recently appeared on an episode of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ as himself, and had a small supporting role in ‘Hitch****.’
    Elisabeth Shue, Ali Mills

Then: A little-known actress at the time, Elisabeth Shue won the part of Ali Mills, Daniel’s love interest and girlfriend of that huge jerk, Johnny.

Now: In the ’90s, Shue tried to ditch her teen queen image by starring in the dark drama ‘Leaving Las Vegas,’ for which she earned an Academy Award nomination. After being “reintroduced” in the comedy ‘Hamlet II,’ she’s now a series regular on ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,’ and has appeared in ‘House at the End of the Street’ and ‘Chasing Mavericks.’
    William Zabka, Johnny Lawrence

Then: William Zabka made his big-screen debut in ‘The Karate Kid’ as Johnny Lawrence, the lead member of Cobra Kai.

Now: Zabka is known for his villianous roles in ’80s films, and while he continues to act, he’s also writing, directing and producing. He earned an Academy Award nomination for writing and producing the film ‘Most’ in 2004. Zabka appeared on ‘How I Met Your Mother’ as himself, like Macchio, and had a small role in the ’80s throwback comedy ‘Hot Tub Time Machine.’
    Ron Thomas, Bobby Brown

Then: Ron Thomas played Bobby Brown, a member of Cobra Kai. Thomas reprised his role in ‘The Karate Kid, Part II.’

Now: Thomas left acting in 1987, but he made an appearance on the web comedy show ‘Tosh.0′ as “Bobby Brown” in 2011.
    Chad McQueen, Dutch

Then: The son of acting legend Steve McQueen, Chad McQueen played Cobra Kai member Dutch in both ‘The Karate Kid’ and ‘The Karate Kid, Part II.’

Now: McQueen appeared in several films throughout the ’80s and ’90s, but his real passion was always race car driving. He had a solid career in racing and motocross throughout the ’00s, and now owns a custom motorcycle and race car company.
    Tony O’Dell, Jimmy

Then: ‘Dynasty’ star Tony O’Dell played preppy Jimmy in ‘The Karate Kid’ before landing another uptight rich-kid role as Alan on ‘Head of the Class.’

Now: O’Dell hasn’t been acting much, but in recent years he’s appeared on ‘George Lopez’ and ‘Shake it Up.’
    Martin Kove, John Kreese

Then: Rumor has it that Chuck Norris turned down the role of evil Cobra Kai leader John Kreese because it wasn’t in keeping with Norris’ positive martial arts beliefs. Norris has said he was never offered the part, but if he had been, that likely would’ve been the reason he turned it down. Instead, the role went to Martin Kove, star of ‘The Last House on the Left’ and ‘Death Race 2000.’

Now: Kove reprised his role in two more ‘Karate Kid’ movies, and has appeared in films such as ‘Black Sheep’ and ‘Middle Men.’
    Randee Heller, Lucille LaRusso

Then: ‘Soap’ star Randee Heller played Lucille LaRusso, Daniel’s doting mother.

Now: Heller has had a long and successful acting career. In recent years, she’s appeared on ‘The Mentalist’ and ‘Desperate Housewives,’ but TV fans probably know her best as Don Draper’s ill-fated secretary, Miss Blankenship, on ‘Mad Men.’
    I was in college when this came out. It changed the martial world in America.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The big three oh

The Karate Kid Turns 30

Pat Morita remembered at reunion of cast, crew.
    Posted On September 17, 2014 Film & TV

From left: Aly Morita, Ralph Macchio, Wendy Shiba, John Avildsen, Kira Teshima, Greg Kimura, Billy Zabka, Martin Kove. Morita presented JANM with the Army uniform that her father wore in “The Karate Kid.” (J.K. YAMAMOTO/Rafu Shimpo)

By J.K. YAMAMOTO, Rafu Staff Writer

Miyagi Sensei would have been pleased.

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of “The Karate Kid,” cast and crew members from the 1984 box-office hit gathered to reminisce on Sept. 9 at the Japanese American National Museum in Little Tokyo.

A screening of the movie, which elicited cheers from the audience, was followed by a panel discussion featuring actors Ralph Macchio, Billy Zabka and Martin Kove, and director John Avildsen, who also directed “Rocky” (1976).

The late Pat Morita, who received an Oscar nomination for his performance as Mr. Miyagi, was represented by his daughter Aly. Also present were Morita’s daughter Tia, wife Yuki, and many other relatives, plus Tamlyn Tomita, who starred in “The Karate Kid Part II.”

The moderator was Jared Cowan of L.A. Weekly, who earlier this year wrote an article titled “How a Movie Shot in the San Fernando Valley Made Us All ‘The Karate Kid.’”

The film centers on Daniel LaRusso (Macchio, who was 22 at the time), who moves with his mother (Randee Heller) from the East Coast to San Fernando Valley. At school, Daniel befriends Ali (Elisabeth Shue) and gets bullied by her ex-boyfriend Johnny (Zabka) and other members of the Cobra Kai dojo, taught by Kreese (Kove). Miyagi, the maintenance man at Daniel’s apartment building, becomes Daniel’s mentor and teaches him karate. In the end, Daniel and Johnny face off at a karate tournament.

Darryl Vidal, creator of the movie’s crane kick, and moderator Jared Cowan. (J.K. YAMAMOTO/Rafu Shimpo)

Avildsen said that when he first received Robert Mark Kamen’s screenplay, he wondered if the film would be mocked as “The Ka-rocky Kid.” But he disagreed with those who see “Karate Kid” as just a “Rocky” knockoff. “It’s a very different movie. This is the story of a surrogate father that everybody wanted to have. It’s a much more touching story than ‘Rocky.’ In many ways it has a lot more emotion.”

Macchio, who had previously appeared in the TV show “Eight Is Enough” and the movie “The Outsiders,” noted that Avildsen videotaped all the “Karate Kid” auditions and rehearsals. “Years later when he sent me that audition tape of my first reading and he intercut it with Pat’s, I looked at that and said … ‘I was just that kid.’ Even then I was just Daniel LaRusso way before I had any idea who he was and what he was. It was just the right time, the right role, the right actor, the right place, the right story.”

Videos of the auditions and rehearsals can be viewed on Avildsen’s YouTube page.

At the time, Morita was best known for playing the owner/operator of Arnold’s Diner on the sitcom “Happy Days.” Avildsen recalled that Morita was the first person brought in by casting director Caro Jones for the role of Miyagi. “I had no idea who he was. I’d never seen ‘Happy Days’ and I had no preconceived conception about Pat Morita.”

Avildsen was “knocked out” by Morita’s audition. “I ran into the producer and I said, ‘We got him. This guy is terrific. We don’t have to look anymore.’ He said, ‘Who are you talking about?’ I said, ‘Pat Morita.’ He said, ‘Give me a break. Pat Morita, he’s a comic, he’s not an actor. We need a real actor for this.’ So we blew about two weeks looking at a lot of other people, and finally they decided to give Pat a proper screen test — and there wasn’t a dry eye.”

Macchio said he initially had the same reaction as the producers. “But when I met with Pat for our first reading, it was evident there was a sort of soulful magic. For me … it was just fluid and seamless. The scenes just seemed very natural and easy to do … I was watching it tonight and still there’s so many magical moments.”

Macchio and Morita did two “Karate Kid” sequels and stayed in touch long after that. “We maintained the relationship and the friendship throughout the years … Years later when we looked at each other, there was sort of an unspoken connection that we knew what we had together, that onscreen partnership, and I think there’s a great deal of respect there both ways,” Macchio said.

“Consummate Entertainer”

Aly Morita remembered her father as “a complicated man, but a consummate entertainer. He was comic at heart. He was hard worker. He loved making people laugh. He was a great daddy. He loved his family very much. But I think sometimes after ‘Karate Kid’ and he was doing movies, he had a difficult time balancing both.”

The role “came after years of struggle,” she said. “He was an out-of-work actor. He had done ‘Happy Days’ and he had his own show, ‘Mr. T and Tina,’ for a very short time … For Asian American actors, there weren’t that many parts out there for them. He just rose to the occasion and embraced this role of Miyagi with everything he had.”

Ralph Macchio, John Avildsen and Aly Morita share memories of the filming of “Karate Kid.” (J.K. YAMAMOTO/Rafu Shimpo)

The character, who came from Okinawa and served in the Army during World War II, incorporated “his father, his brother, the 442nd, so many strong, tough, vulnerable, hard-working Japanese American men that he knew growing up,” Morita said. “I think he tried to take their essence and become Miyagi.”

Asked if Morita actually knew karate, his daughter said, “Not at all. My sister and I sort of joked, ‘You’re going to be in “The Karate Kid?” What are you going to do?’”

But like Miyagi, “he did love the mentor role … My dad took many people under his wing … He had many people who he tried to help over the years,” she said.

Aly Morita visited the set and was present during the Halloween party scene in which Daniel’s costume is a shower curtain. “My sister remembers going on set and her school was really close to where they were shooting, so she would be doing her homework sitting in my dad’s chair while they were filming.”

When her father got the call — at 5 a.m. — that he was an Oscar nominee for best supporting actor, “my parents woke us up and they were elated. The phone didn’t stop ringing. It was just absolute disbelief, too. ‘What? He was nominated for an Academy Award?’ That was crazy.”

Morita remembered going to the ceremony with her parents and sister “in our ’80s finery,” outfits that would not be fashionable today.

The Oscar went to another Asian American actor, Haing S. Ngor, for “The Killing Fields,” but the nomination marked a turning point in Pat Morita’s career.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

The Bad Guys

Zabka, whose only acting experience at the time was in commercials, recalled, “Pat did kind of mentor me … He called me B.Z. from the first day and I called him Uncle Pat. He was a really soothing, funny, generous, genuine guy.”

For a scene where Johnny and his gang attack Daniel, “I wasn’t projecting loud and Pat pulled me aside and said, ‘B.Z., when you do rehearsals, you’ve gotta give 110 percent. That way when the camera’s rolling, it’s like bread and butter.’” Zabka took that advice but went a little too far, accidentally hitting Macchio for real.

Miyagi (Pat Morita) trains Daniel (Ralph Macchio) in a scene from “The Karate Kid.”

Johnny’s sensei, Kreese, reflected Miyagi’s philosophy that there are no bad students, just bad teachers. Zabka said that Kreese encouraged Johnny’s bad behavior because “when you have somebody behind you as a mentor, right or wrong, you get empowered.” Only at the end does Johnny realize that Kreese is leading him down the wrong path.

“The character I created was someone who in high school and college … was a great champion, then when he went to Vietnam, unfortunately he wasn’t allowed to win, like a lot of our boys,” Kove said. “… When he came back, he vowed that he would never lose and none of the Cobra Kai would ever lose under any circumstances. He created the dojo and ultimately that was his motto, that winning and being triumphant was the most important thing in life. Karate was an offensive sport, not a defensive art.”

For the fight scenes, Macchio said, “One thing I will say about John Avildsen is when he wants something, he gets it. He was very steadfast in making sure I looked good at karate … We rehearsed that 10,000 times, but it pays off so well … Pat Johnson, who played the referee in the movie, did all the martial arts choreography and trained all of us. He would train me separately in the Okinawan style.”

Avildsen said of Darryl Vidal, who is credited with creating the movie’s iconic crane kick, “I was looking at a lot of karate tournaments when I was casting for this, and I saw this guy and nobody came close.”

Vidal, who was in the audience, explained, “The writer had this concept where Daniel gets his leg injured, so he has to stand on one leg and do the final kick … In martial arts circles [they say]‘He couldn’t have invented that. That’s an old kick’ … Yes, there’s a kick called a double-jump kick … but what I believe is that this whole part here is something I made upon their request. The other part is a kick that’s in every system.”

Though he is a martial artist and not an actor, “I’m Mr. Miyagi [doing the crane stance]on the beach, and in the tournament you can see me, the only Asian guy, jumping around,” Vidal said.

The movie was supposed to end with a confrontation between Kreese and Miyagi in the parking lot. “But after I shot that moment with Daniel being carried off and the kick being so successful … I said I don’t think we need that scene in the parking lot, it’s not going to top what we just did,” Avildsen said. “I think the movie ought to end with him being carried off.”

The Kreese-Miyagi face-off became the first scene of “The Karate Kid Part II,” also directed by Avildsen.

When it was suggested that Daniel and Miyagi should be seen together at the end, Avildsen compromised with a final shot of Miyagi smiling. “It worked because of Pat’s terrific acting, He was so subtle in this thing. It was so reserved, he held back, he just did a great job.”

Miyagi’s Moment

A key scene is when Daniel finds Miyagi drunk and wearing his old Army uniform. As Miyagi sleeps, Daniel learns from newspaper clippings and a telegram that Miyagi’s family was interned, and that his wife died in childbirth in camp while he was serving with the 442nd.

“One of the other editors said we don’t really need that scene, it slows everything down … I thought it was a pivotal scene, it was the love scene between these two guys,” Avildsen said. “Fortunately, it prevailed and I think that was the scene that caught the Academy’s attention and cinched the nomination for Pat. He was just perfect in that scene. It’s probably the most touching scene in the movie.”

Miyagi and Daniel visit the Cobra Kai dojo and meet with Johnny (Billy Zabka) and his sensei, Kreese (Martin Kove).

Macchio added, “I’m often asked, ‘What is your favorite moment, your favorite line?’ It’s difficult because there so many great moments in the film, but that scene, we knew when we were shooting … that the scene had another level of depth. Watching it as years have gone on, I learn more each time from that scene.”

After making sure Miyagi is safely in bed, Daniel turns and bows before leaving the house. “My eyes are filing with water, it’s such a beautiful moment,” Macchio said. “It takes the movie up to the level where it is renowned for being what it is.”

Aly Morita, who noted that her father was interned at Tule Lake and her mother at Manzanar, agreed: “That scene in particular it gives so much depth to his character. I guess without that scene he could sort of be a caricature, but because of that scene it gives him a past, it gives him a history. He’s a decorated soldier of World War II, he had a family that was in the internment camps … He was channeling again all of those experiences, all the history that he grew up knowing, what he had gone through himself. Certainly he felt like this was a moment that may never come again …

“I think within Japanese American families, it’s something that’s not really talked about. So to be able to see that on the big screen and for all of America to learn about this chapter of our history, it so resonates for me … It’s an important moment in film history, too.”

Although there are many 30th anniversary screenings this year, Macchio said it was important for him to attend the one at JANM. “The way this film takes these two cultures and puts it together and enlightens in such a big way, in such a commercial and a mainstream way — it’s quite beautiful to even witness at this point.”

Regarding his last memories of his mentor, Macchio said, “As the years went by, I learned a little more about who Pat Morita was. Fortunately for me, about a year before he passed he was given a lifetime achievement [award]in New York City … There was a tribute to him at Lincoln Center and he asked that I present the award to him, and I had the opportunity to explore further elements in his life and I also got to say basically anything I would have ever wanted to say to him. It was quite a special moment for me and the audience, so I’m really grateful for having had that.”

At the close of the program, Aly Morita presented the Army uniform that her father wore in the film to JANM President and CEO Greg Kimura, Board of Trustees Vice Chair Wendy Shiba, and New Leadership Advisory Council President Kira Teshima.

“We believe that it deserves a good home and we are entrusting it to the Japanese American National Museum because it doesn’t belong to us, it belongs to everybody,” Morita said.

Kimura pledged to “treasure and steward this as well as steward the story of the 442nd Go For Broke battalion and the story of the unlawful and unjust incarceration of over 120,000 Americans of Japanese descent during World War II.”
    30 huh? That makes me feel old.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's been some good 30th retrospectives...

...been toying with writing one of my own.

'Karate Kid' villain Billy Zabka is still best friends with the Cobra Kais
    For The Win caught up with the actor 30 years after the iconic film's release.
    By: CHRIS STRAUSS October 9, 2014 10:56 am ET

(Columbia Pictures)
    He was one of the most hate-inspiring movie characters of the 1980s. As the sneering leader of the Cobra Kai in Karate Kid, Billy Zabka was ideally cast as Daniel LaRusso’s bullying teenage nemesis Johnny Lawrence in the classic 1984 film.

Zabka’s portrayal of the blond rich kid jerk worked so well it pretty much became a template for actors in every California based teen movie over the next three decades. In real life, he couldn’t be a nicer guy.

Now 48, Zabka will be in Manhattan on Saturday for The Karate Kid 30th Anniversary screening and panel discussion as part of New York Super Week.

While he’s still acting – he just finished a role in the upcoming indie film Produce and recently played a version of himself in the final season of How I Met Your Mother – most of his work these days is behind the camera. Zabka was nominated for an Oscar in 2004 as a producer on the short film Most and recently produced and edited two documentaries on Africa. He’s also directed a number of commercials and music videos, including Rascal Flatts’ “Why Wait.”

Zabka (middle) on ‘How I Met Your Mother’ with Josh Radnor (left) and Neil Patrick Harris (right).
    (CBS Broadcasting)

Zabka spoke with For The Win about the 30th anniversary of Karate Kid and how he’s learned to embrace his most famous role.

At what point did you realize that Karate Kid was going to have the cultural impact that it ended up having?
    Certainly not during filming. I think really only now. It took 25 years. We did the DVD, a special edition, I think it was 25, where we did the special features on the DVD. Ralph and I did a picture in picture commentary during the film and stuff. It snuck up on us. The movie was out in theaters for six months back in the 80s, which films don’t do these days. They’re in and out in a weekend. It just started to graft into pop culture language in a way. I think it takes this long to realize that it’s here to stay.

How often in your daily life does The Karate Kid come up?
    The Karate Kid is clearly playing right now somewhere in the world, probably in many countries in different languages. That’s the one that’s played to fans of the 80s. Back to School is probably next in line. There are a lot of big fans of Just One of The Guys.

Every once in awhile someone will remember me from [National Lampoon's] European Vacation. Now that The Equalizer has been made into a film I get a little bit of Equalizer stuff [he was on the original TV show]. But clearly The Karate Kid and the character I played in that made the most impact so that’s where I get most of my recognition from.

What’s the strangest Karate Kid fan moment you’ve encountered?
    The TSA is always fun. Going through the airport a lot of times they’ll recognize me. I’ve had quite a few encounters. At a lot of Comic-Cons guys will come dressed as Cobra-Kais. Last year I was in Boston hosting a Halloween party and it was the first time since I did the movie that I threw on the skeleton outfit. I walked around Boston like that with some other guys and people dressed in character and we had a lot of fun with that.

Because the film and character are so engrained with fans, is it ever challenging for you to constantly have to revisit this one role? At some point is there an impulse to be like “look, I did that when I was a teenager.”
    You can lean either way on that. You could resist it – I did that for awhile. Right after Karate Kid, I ran into other projects. In the years after that, I kind of grew my hair long, I went to guitar school and got out of acting for awhile. Friends of mine that I met around that time, like ten or 15 years after the movie, will remind me today of how I was like “Don’t mention Karate Kid to me.” There was a time of resistance against that, because you want to keep doing new things. It’s like hearing a band and just hearing the same old song over and over. I kind of leaned into it – I did a music video called “Sweep The Leg” with a band called No More Kings.

It was a band that approached me with the song a few years back and I directed this really fun video with the original cast of the movie including Ralph. The feedback from that was one and I had a good time with the image of it. You’ve gotta have fun with it. You can be that artist – I know a lot of them – that are in a crystallized moment in time and they’re resentful of it. I’m not. I think it’s fun. It doesn’t affect my life either way. I’m doing what I want to do and I’m happy with where my life and my career’s gone. I kind of embrace it loosely.

I just did a Comic-Con in Alamo City and the fans are from five to six years old to grandparents. As an artist, to have little kids coming up in karate gi’s at seven years old when they weren’t even a thought back then, that’s really a powerful thing. If you’re an actor and you get lucky enough to be in something that people see, that’s the first thing, but something that makes a cultural impact? How do you resent that in any way?

There’s plenty of iconic lines from Karate Kid. Which one do people yell at you most frequently? I imagine it’s “sweep the leg” or “put him in a bodybag.”
    Yeah, add “no mercy” and you’ve got the main three.

You’ll see Ralph and Martin [Kove] this weekend and at similar events. How often are you in touch with other cast members beyond that?
    The guys that played all the Cobra Kais are some of my best friends. Marty Kove [who played sensei John Kreese] I see all the time. Rob Garrison, [famous for "put him in a bodybag"] he just came and stayed at my house for a week. Bobby and Jimmy (Ron Thomas and Tony O’Dell) live around the corner from me. I reconnected with Ralph about ten years ago.

[Zabka challenged Garrison, Thomas and O'Dell to do the Ice Bucket Challenge last month]

You played a version of yourself on ‘How I Met Your Mother’. How do you decide if those kinds of roles are worth doing?
    On a show like that with that kind of team, you know you’re in good hands. They did some really fun things with me and explored parts of me that hasn’t been seen before in a comedy area. Regardless if I was playing me or a version of me, it was a really great acting job. What I won’t do is just sit there and jump around in a karate gi. There has to be something fun. I get offers and so does Ralph almost every day to do something with somebody’s idea of me as me. I take ‘em really, really selectively. The closest I did was How I Met Your Mother and then played kind of a character in Hot Tub Time Machine that was 80s throwback based.

Were you in favor of the remake?
    When you find out they’re remaking a movie you were in, that’s shocking on every level. “I’m old enough to remake a movie I was in?” It was kung fun and in China and it was different. I wasn’t against it, but I certainly wasn’t for it. I went to the premiere of that, which I went because Sony called and all the guys were there. It was fun because I was backstage at the afterparty and Will introduced us to Jaden and he said “I just want you to know we weren’t doing anything disrespectful, it’s an homage to the Karate Kid.” I said, “I get it man, I’m actually doing the same thing with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

Are there any movie villain roles or other roles around that time you read for that you would have loved to get?
    Tons of roles. I met Oliver Stone for Platoon. I would’ve loved to do that. Me and Chris Penn and Cary Elwes were the last three for Tony Scott’s film Days of Thunder [Elwes got the role of Russ Wheeler). Me and Charlie Sheen were against each other for the final role in Lucas.

Zabka (left) with Elisabeth Shue in ‘Karate Kid.’
    (Columbia Pictures)

What do you think the character of Johnny ended up growing up to do?
    I think he’s a real estate agent. He’s flipping houses somewhere.

One final sports-related movie question about another one of your big films. In Back to School, how did they shoot the final triple lindy scene with Rodney Dangerfield?
    Obviously there was a double and the double was a real diver. He came out in prosthetics and he was just so padded. Rodney was so offended by how fat this guy was. “I’m ugly, but I’m not that ugly,” he said and literally walked off the set. He was offended by what he looked like. “I don’t look like that!” Well, actually, you kinda do.

They did that in pieces. The close up shots of Rodney doing the **** under his arm and my thing where I’m doing a handstand wasn’t even at a pool. We did that out in the middle of a desert somewhere with a camera pointing into a blue sky. There wasn’t even water underneath, just a big pad below us. How he did the jumping back and forth was on real springboards, but I think they cut between the boards. I don’t think he actually jumped from one board to another, it was all editing. He was a great diver and gymnast I think, but movie magic was how they did that really.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips