Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

anniversary ceremony

‘The Karate Kid’ Marks 30th Anniversary At City Hall
    December 5, 2014 3:18 PM

VAN NUYS (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles City Council marked the 30th anniversary of the release of “The Karate Kid” during its meeting Friday at Van Nuys City Hall.

Cast and crew members from the popular 1984 film were on hand for the ceremony, including Academy Award-winning director John Avildsen, who received a resolution from Councilman Mitchell Englander marking the film’s anniversary.

Shot largely in the San Fernando Valley, “Karate Kid” has several ties to the region, including its main character Daniel LaRusso (played by actor Ralph Macchio), who lived in Reseda and trained at the Chatsworth Nature Preserve. The famous scenes of the “All-Valley Karate Championship” were also filmed at Cal State Northridge.

Martin Kove (John Kreese), William Zabka (Johnny Lawrence), and other cast members were also on hand, while Macchio was noticeably absent from the ceremony. Pat Morita, who played Daniel’s mentor Mr. Miyagi, passed away in 2005.

Calling the film “one of the great underdog stories of all time,” Englander praised it as an “instant classic” when it was released in June 1984 on a “limited budgeted and no big name stars at the time.”

“I was 14 years old when this movie came out. I was their target audience — still am!” he said.

The movie is also credited with spawning a number of “prominent pop culture references”, including phrases such as “‘wax on, wax off,’ ‘paint the fence’ and the challenge of catching a fly with chopsticks, Englander said.
    Wonder who the 'other cast members' were. Certainly not Ralph or Elizabeth.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

lol

Ralph Macchio: My daughter loves watching me get my ass kicked in ‘Karate Kid’
    By Reed Tucker February 19, 2016 | 6:01am

Ralph Macchio today (right) and showing off the crane kick he made famous in 1984. Photo: Everett Collection; Matt Carr/Getty Images

In 2010, Ralph Macchio starred in a hilariously self-aware video for Funny or Die called “Wax On, F–k Off,” parodying his good-guy image. In it, his family and friends stage an intervention, trying to get the former child star to misbehave so he can become relevant.

Staying scandal-free and being married for 28 years has now paid off for the “Karate Kid” in the form of a new off-Broadway play, “A Room of My Own.” It features a writer (Macchio) reminiscing about his life growing up in a tiny Greenwich Village studio, and Macchio was cast because playwright-director Charles Messina wanted someone who was “grounded.”

The Huntington, LI, native, now 54, and father of two grown children dishes on his life.

What was it like growing up on Long Island?

Long Island is home. It still is. I have a house in mid-Long Island and a house out on the East End. I call it “the house that the ’80s built.”

How do people treat you when you’re out on the streets? I picture a lot of, ‘Do the crane kick!’

I get that, yeah. In New York, it’s a little more embracing, because they know I’m a New Yorker. I get, “Stay gold, Ponyboy” [from “The Outsiders”]. People will say, “Wax on, wax off,” like they’re the first one to come up with it. But you know, you smile. It’s good stuff. For people to be talking about a film you did 30 years ago and for it to still be relevant is nice.

You do look young. Do you have a secret?

No, I wish. That product, I would be on QVC selling it. I’d never have to work another day in my life. I blame my parents. It’s genes.

When was the last time you got carded?

That doesn’t happen anymore. The last time was probably in my late 20s.

When did you first show your children ‘The Karate Kid’?

I think my daughter was 5 years old. I was doing [a tour of] “How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” We’d do press at Planet Hollywood, and there would be memorabilia from movies. My daughter saw a headband or something from the film and asked, “What is this?” Finally I showed her the film, and I laugh now, because she ran out of the room when I got beat up. When she was a teenager though, she took great pleasure in watching them beat the s - - t out of me.

The film’s producer, the late Jerry Weintraub, was a character.

Jerry was the last of a breed — the Hollywood mogul with a cigar sitting in the big chair. I remember seeing “The Karate Kid” for the first time at a sneak preview at the Coronet Theater. Everyone was doing the crane kick, from 5-year-olds to 65-year-olds. Jerry leaned over to me and said, “Get ready. We’re going to be doing a couple of these.”
    When you’re a young actor, you want to be Brando or De Niro, and I remember him telling me, “Sometimes you do something for [a mainstream audience], sometimes you do something for yourself. I just saw the biggest piece of s–t I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s called ‘Grease.’ I wish I produced it.”

Ralph Macchio stars in a “A Room of My Own,” playing through March 13 at the June Havoc Theatre (312 W. 36th St.).
    My kid would probably have the same reaction.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thought this was great, any in Tampa..

Planning on going? Karate Kid at the Tampa Theater

The Karate Kid with Ralph Macchio LIVE

Tampa Theatre is proud to announce The Karate Kid with Ralph Macchio LIVE, appearing on the Theatre’s historic stage at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 9 (doors open at 6:30 p.m.).

Tickets are $46.50 plus applicable fees, and a very limited number of meet & greet tickets will also be available for $129 plus fees.

Some more info at the link site.

The Karate Teen - SNL

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Taraji & Jackie at the Oscars

Taraji P. Henson and Jackie Chan Had the Sweetest Reunion on the Oscars Red Carpet
    27 February 2017 by TERRY CARTER

While you were ogling all of the gorgeous dresses on the Oscar red carpet on Sunday, you might have missed this adorably sweet moment between the gorgeous Taraji P. Henson and her former costar Jackie Chan. The actors starred together in the 2010 martial arts film The Karate Kid, a remake of the 1984 original. Jackie spotted Taraji, who was there with her Hidden Figures costars, as she strutted her way on the red carpet and immediately swooped in for a hug. Taraji, who was visibly shocked and excited, shouted, "Oh my God, it's so good to see you!" Watch their epic reunion ahead.
    Gotta follow the link to see the embedded vid. It's cute.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tamlyn

Tomita discusses her arc from ‘The Karate Kid’ to grown-up role co-starring on ‘The Good Doctor’

By Eric Althoff - The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Tamlyn Tomita had never acted before when she was cast as Ralph Macchio’s new love interest in “The Karate Kid Part II” in 1986.
    “I did not want to become an actor; I had no [such] dreams,” Miss Tomita told The Washington Times recently. “It really sounds very Pollyanna-ish, but I really did not know anything” about the business,” she said, but “I found myself cast in ‘The Karate Kid Part II.’”
    Nonetheless, three decades after the serendipitous part of Kumiko endeared her to moviegoers, Miss Tomita isn’t pausing in her career. She currently portrays Allegra Aoki on the ABC show “The Good Doctor,” which stars Freddie Highmore (“Bates Motel”) as an autistic savant surgeon who joins a prestigious hospital’s surgical ward.
    “We have such an unusual character in Dr. Shawn Murphy,” Miss Tomita said of the titular physician. “I think he represents people who are different, who are outsiders, who might be considered odd or not understood.
    “And at a private hospital, his teammates on the surgical team, they’re going to realize he [has] a special set of skills, and that all of us can learn to be a little bit more patient and tolerant of those who happen to be not ‘typical.’”
    Also not typical has been Miss Tomita’s career arc. She was born in Okinawa, Japan, the daughter of an L.A. police officer who had been interned at the notorious Manzanar camp during World War II as a young man. As a teen, Miss Tomita was crowned queen at the Nisei Week Pageant in Los Angeles in 1984 and later Miss Nikkei International in 1985.
    While traveling to Hawaii as Miss Nikkie International in 1985, she was spotted by a casting agent who recommended her to director John G. Avildsen for the second “Karate Kid” movie.
    “The wonderful John Avildsen was a hero and father figure who was really present in my life even though we didn’t have day-to-day or year-to-year” contact, Miss Tomita said of the director of the “Karate Kid” trilogy and original “Rocky” film.
    Miss Tomita appeared earlier this year in the documentary “John G. Avildsen: King of the Underdogs,” which played at the Santa Barbara Film Festival this winter. As the doc made the festival circuit, only director Derek Wayne Johnson knew that Avildsen himself was not only ill but not long for this earth as he answered questioned alongside the “Rocky” and “Karate Kid” cast at screenings.
    “He’s one of those people that I really do miss, and I really respected his opinion my entire career,” Miss Tomita said of Avildsen, who died in June at the age of 81.
    But Avildsen was active right until the end: Miss Tomita said Avildsen was “hovering” over Mr. Johnson’s shoulder as the latter edited “King of the Underdogs.”
    “He was really involved in the making of the project on himself. Now we understand why,” she said of what has effectively become the late director’s epitaph. “It was his last efforts in making sure that his legacy was told correctly.”
    In addition to Avildsen, Miss Tomita said actress Nobu McCarthy, who portrayed the old flame of Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) in “The Karate Kid Part II,” became an acting mentor to her as her own star rose.
    “Everybody in the cast of that film really took me aside and said, ‘Know your lines, stand on your mark, get in your light, and connect with the other actors,’” Miss Tomita said of the advice she received as a 20-year-old. “‘Forget about the camera, forget about the hordes of people who are watching. Just make sure it’s really simple between you and the other actor.’”
    Since “The Karate Kid Part II,” Miss Tomita has appeared in well over 100 films and TV series, including “The Joy Luck Club,” “Santa Barbara,” “Babylon 5,” “Four Rooms,” “JAG,” “24” and now “The Good Doctor.”
    “In terms of my career, it’s a great challenge to be a champion or people who might be different,” Miss Tomita said of her work on the ABC show about the autistic doctor.
    Furthermore, the actress says she feels a responsibility to the Asian-American characters she portrays.
    “Being a woman, being a person of color, we have all these discussions as to” how such persons are shown in film and on TV, she said.
    Part of that, she believes, is putting the bug in the ears of writers rooms to get the voices of female and ethnic minority characters correct.
    “Just throw out ideas, because the writers aren’t [all-knowing], which is something I’ve always had to keep in mind,” Miss Tomita said. “They don’t have all these stories mapped out. And because I’m a woman of color, they might be able to insert” more specific cultural references, she said. “That encourages us to say can we do this [in] a certain style.”
    One of the producers of “The Good Doctor” is actor Daniel Dae Kim, who has starred on “Lost” and “Hawaii Five-O.”
    “I call him ‘o captain my captain,’ and he really is,” Miss Tomita said of the South Korean-born actor, who purchased the rights to the original Korean show of the same name and brought it to the West. “He’s the one who has basically carried this to term.”
    Unlike Mr. Kim, Miss Tomita said she has no ambitions to move behind the camera, offering, “I’m much too egotistical to move outside the acting realm.”
    Furthermore, she adds there really is no true path or “primer” for either getting into show business or sticking with it.
    “The ratio of failure to success is [enormous]. You really have to be careful and really strong,” she said of continuing to press on in Tinseltown. “And not take criticism personally, especially with social media.”
    She says that would-be actors must love to do one thing primarily: tell good stories.
    “It’s not about raising your profile or raising your ego,” she said of effectively utilizing social media. “It’s a vehicle, and it’s a vehicle to tell stories.
    “You just have to not care [about rejection] and do your own thing,” she said. “You can film yourself with your iPhone and put it [on the internet].”
    Miss Tomita hopes that audiences who tune into “The Good Doctor” will attain a sympathy not only for the autistic lead character, but for anyone who has a disability or handicap.
    “We have to look beyond what we see as the typical, the ‘normal package,’ and just see people as who they are,” she said. “We all have to learn and get along a little better in society.”

“The Good Doctor” airs Mondays at 10 p.m. on ABC.
    I could never buy that Daniel-san hooked up with Ali (Shue) or Kumiko.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Karate Kid thief

WTH?

Police looking for ‘Karate Kid’ thief in South Carolina
    POSTED 1:01 PM, FEBRUARY 1, 2019, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE

(Swansea Police Department)

SWANSEA, S.C. — Police are trying to find a man with what they’re calling a “unique ritual he uses before he commits a larceny.”

The man, caught on camera taking a purse, appears to emulate a pose from the 1984 classic “The Karate Kid.”

“As you’ll see in the screen shots this subject likes to perform Mr Miyagi’s Crane Technique made famous by Daniel LaRusso in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship,” the Swansea Police Department wrote in a Facebook post.

The suspect is accused of stealing a purse from another vehicle at a BP gas station on Saturday.

(Swansea Police Department)

The police department also had a few notes they added as hashtags to the post: “Mr. Miyagi wouldn’t approve,” “Not the next Karate Kid” and “Don’t be ninjaing people that don’t need ninjaing.”

Police are asking anyone who knows the the man to contact the Swansea Police Department at (803) 568-3366, dispatch at (803) 785-2521, Midlands Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC or send them message over Facebook.

Swansea Police Department - "Home of the Tigers"
    on Tuesday
    The Swansea Police Department would like you help in identifying the subject pictured in the orange shirt. He stole a purse from another vehicle at the BP on 1-26-2019. He was driving a Black Toyota Tundra with a Paper Tag. He has a unique ritual he uses before he commits a larceny. As you'll see in the screen shots this subject likes to perform Mr Miyagi's Crane Technique made famous by Daniel LaRusso in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship. If you know this subject please contact Swansea Police Department at 803-568-3366, Dispatch at 803-785-2521, Midlands Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, or send us a message.

#MrMiyagiWouldntApprove
    #NotTheNextKarateKid
    #DontBeNinjaingPeopleThatDontNeedNinjaing
    THREADS
    Martial FAIL
    The Karate Kid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

35 years

Exclusive: The Karate Kid returning to theaters for its 35th anniversary

Columbia/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock
    MAUREEN LEE LENKER
    February 04, 2019 at 09:00 AM EST

It’s time to wax on, wax off.

In honor of its 35th anniversary, The Karate Kid is returning to movie theaters for two days only as presented by Fathom Events. The film will screen in participating theaters nationwide on Sunday, March 31 and Tuesday, April 2.

A huge hit from summer 1984, The Karate Kid stars Ralph Macchio as Daniel, a bullied teen who learns karate from Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita), an elderly handyman who is also a martial arts master. He teaches Johnny that karate is about more than fighting, a vital life lesson that comes into play when Daniel faces off against Johnny, the leader of a vicious gang of karate school bullies known as Cobra Kai. Morita was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his work in the film. Elisabeth Shue and William Zabka also star in the John G. Avildsen film.

The Karate Kid is looking better than ever restored from the original camera negative to a stunning 4k presentation. This restoration will also be available on 4k Ultra HD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on April 16 following the film’s return to the big screen. This 4k UHD release also includes a new anniversary featurette, “Remembering the Karate Kid,” featuring interviews with Macchio, Zabka, and Martin Kove.

Diehard fans of The Karate Kid will get an extra treat at the movie theater showings of the film — an exclusive sneak preview of season two of YouTube Original series Cobra Kai will screen as part of the festivities. Last year, Macchio and Zabka reunited for the first season of the new TV series, in which Daniel opens his own karate studio, Miyagi-Do, to face off against old arch-rivals Cobra Kai. It earned critical acclaim and even made EW critics’ top 10 list of the year. This will be a chance to get a first look at the show’s second season.

Tickets for the film’s cinematic return will be available beginning Feb. 15 on the Fathom Events website or at participating theater box offices. The 4k Ultra HD release will be available beginning April 16. Sweep the leg and get out there!
    I was in college in 84 and vividly remember the impact this film had on the martial world.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Karate Kid 35th Anniversary

IN THEATERS MAR 31, APR 2
    The Karate Kid 35th Anniversary
    Practice your wax on, wax off for a special 35th anniversary showing, of the Karate Kid! Ralph Macchio stars as Daniel, a teenager whose growing pains are made that much more difficult by his arrival in a new town where he must start from scratch and make new friends. He quickly becomes the target of the Cobras, a menacing gang of karate students, who are less than pleased when he strikes up a relationship with Ali (Elisabeth Shue), the Cobra leader's ex-girlfriend. Eager to fight back and impress his new girlfriend, he begs his handyman, Miyagi (Pat Morita), a martial arts master, to teach him karate. Under Miyagi's wise tutelage, Daniel developed not only the physical skills but also the maturity, faith and self-confidence to compete despite tremendous odds as he encounters the fight of his life in the exciting finale.

This event will also include a custom introduction from Ralph Macchio and William Zabka and a Cobra Kai Season 2 Sneak Peek.
    THREADS
    The Karate Kid
    Cobra Kai, Karate Kid sequel
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on the 35th

There's a vid. Ironic about Will Smith given the remake.

JUNE 21, 2019 10:15am PT by Aaron Couch, Patrick Shanley
    Ralph Macchio on 'Karate Kid' at 35 and the Film Role He Beat Will Smith For

The star also reveals the joke he made about an 'Outsiders' co-star that led to the film's well-known poster.
    For Ralph Macchio, things have a way of coming full circle.

In the early '90s he found himself reading for a role in My Cousin Vinny. Director Jonathan Lynn liked him for the part, but the studio didn't, seeing him simply as "that guy from The Karate Kid."

It turns out that among those up for the role of Bill Gambini was Will Smith, still a few years away from becoming the biggest movie star in the world with 1996's Independence Day.

"Ben Stiller and Will Smith, that's who the studio wanted. Even though he's written as Vinny's cousin, they said, 'We'll figure that out later," Macchio says in this week's episode of Heat Vision Breakdown. "Will actually came in to read, and we read together for My Cousin Vinny at one point."

The part of Bill Gambini, cousin to Joe Pesci's Vinny, ultimately went to Macchio.

Macchio is now celebrating the 35th anniversary of The Karate Kid, the 1984 hit that spawned sequels, the ongoing YouTube series Cobra Kai and a 2010 remake ... starring Will Smith's son, Jaden. The elder Smith spoke to Macchio ahead of that film.

"He called me once they decided to make a remake of The Karate Kid in 2010. My opening line was, 'The last time I saw you was when we auditioned for My Cousin Vinny,'" says Macchio. "'That's the first and last time I got the part and you didn't.' We had fun."

Looking back at Karate Kid, Macchio still treasures the time he spent with Pat Morita, who played his onscreen mentor Mr. Miyagi. In 2005, Macchio was asked to give Morita's eulogy.

"I was nervous about what to say, so I didn't do a lot of prep outside of speaking from my heart and knowing how rare it is have that sort of piece of magic," says Macchio of their collaborations. "I always call my relationship with him and those performances a bit of soulful magic. ... There's one line I had in my head that I wanted to end with when I spoke of him and what he meant of me. 'Forever my sensei.' It came to me on the plane out to Vegas, which is where the services were, ... and I'm proud of it."

In addition to Karate Kid, Macchio was part of another iconic '80s film: Francis Ford Coppola's The Outsiders, which featured stars such as Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Matt Dillon and Diane Lane. It also boasts a well-remembered poster, showing its leading men cracking up.

Macchio notes he was responsible for those laughs by taking a crack at one of his co-stars. The gang was taking group shots, and there was a table of food meant for the cast.

"One of the production guys behind the cameras said 'all the food over here is for the talent.' He was telling the crew guys," says Macchio. "Leif Garrett was walking by and I said, 'Remember, Leif, he said that's just for the talent!' It got this big laugh. … We laugh about it to this day. Everybody cracked up and there's this picture."

t
    The Outsiders

Cobra Kai season two is available now on YouTube, with a third season gearing up. Watch Macchio's full interview at the top of the post.

AARON COUCH
    aaron.couch@thr.com
    AaronCouch

PATRICK SHANLEY
    patrick.shanley@THR.com
    @pshanley88

THREADS
    The Karate Kid
    Cobra Kai, Karate Kid sequel
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Robert Garrison

Robert Garrison, Who Played Tommy in 'Karate Kid,' Dies at 59
    11:02 AM PDT 9/27/2019 by Ryan Parker

Shutterstock; Getty Images
    'Karate Kid' (Inset: Rob Garrison)

The actor appeared in the film 'Iron Eagle' and in a number of TV shows, including the classics 'Coach,' 'MacGyver' and 'Columbo.'
    Robert Garrison, best known for his work in Karate Kid, has died, his rep, Rick Henriques, confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 59.

"It is a huge loss to the Karate Kid and Cobra Kai family," Henriques said. "He was a great guy and a great actor." No cause of death was disclosed.

Garrison played Tommy, the wicked Cobra Kai member who delighted in Daniel (Ralph Macchio) being punished both in and out of the ring. Tommy has the memorable line of "Get him a bodybag!" which he yells while laughing maniacally during the climax of the film.

He reprised the role of Tommy in Karate Kid: Part II (1986) and Cobra Kai (2019).

Garrison appeared in the film Iron Eagle and in a number of TV shows, including the classics Coach, MacGyver and Columbo.

Garrison is survived by his brother, Patrick, and sister-in-law, Linda.
    THREADS
    Karate Kid
    Karate Kid 2
    Cobra Kai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai and the Legacy of The Karate Kid

Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Cobra Kai and the Legacy of The Karate Kid

THREADS
    Karate Kid
    Karate Kid 2
    Cobra Kai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Real Martial Arts Behind Cobra Kai and The Karate Kid

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Than Miyagi Director On Honoring Pat Morita

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Karate Kid: The Real Martial Arts History Behind the Movies

Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: The Karate Kid: The Real Martial Arts History Behind the Movies

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips