Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    your a moron who really doesn't know alot about waht going on in the world today. first offf american gangster is not about a black mafia it is nothing like the godfather either(ho do i know this well i worked on the set) its a true story about a drug dealer named frank lucas. oh and the "Black mafia" or what FBI calls the black mafia is real and very hard to crack, the feds have been trying to do it since th 60's when it came into being. but the idea of a black mafia goes back to l capone but thats another story and this a thread abouta film that may not evn be. i remember when kill bill was first anounce everyone on this board was bad mouthing it and saying how horrible it was going to be then it came out and all of u were sucking tarrintino's ****. and so what if the film is staring a black kid, let it its just a movie. willow sword i see what you were saying and i'm with you on that, but think about it we would all like more ma films made but if there is no demand for them then hollywood is not gonna waste money on it so just be happy that a top earner like will smith once to attach his name to it weather he should direct or not is an entirely defferent story. all i'm saing this is not imdb this a M.A. media forum lets act like we have some sence and as for mr. racist up ther talking abouta nine year old kid being on crack. grow up man
    if you ask anyone who lived in new york around the time of the black mafia and the peurto rican are the ones that chased the italian mafia out of nyc. so that movie is quite true and believable. the italians went to vegas, now there are only remnents of italian mafia in nyc, but they are mostly in rhode island and parts of mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

i'm gonna ke a film called last black man on earth starring tom hanks. honestly what does it matter if the original person who played the character was white. man i was n a play and i played a 18th centuy chinese general. its cinema race is alwayssubject to change. ti about othello a black man plyed by white actors in black face for years. only in america are peopl so hung up by race. can we please get over this **** already and move on.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Jimbo.....not only would Al Sharpton be all over it if a white man played the part that was originally a black man's but so would the "great" Rev. Jesse Jackson.

those 2 guys annoy me sometimes. but doug is right cinema race doesnt really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i'm gonna ke a film called last black man on earth starring tom hanks.
    Real original quote here. Someone should tell that to Paul Mooney. He might used it on a TV show.

yeh maybe i should te him that. like knw one has eer seen the dave chappelle showand know its from there. shut up. and stay on topic please and thank you

let's face it ...

the real reason why Hollywood always has and always will pump out remakes as well as make sequels is simply: $$$ Think of all the big movies in the past decade and how many were part of a franchise/sequel? The Karate Kid is one of the movies that has always maintained a cult following, so I'm sure the financial backing is banking on making a decent profit, which it will most assuredly will. Is there anyone on this forum who can honestly say they wouldn't see it, even if it was just out of curiosity?

I don't care as much about who's directing or acting in this one as much as long as they preserve the message of the film. Though given the current state of martial arts in America, I'm suprised they haven't made "The UFC Kid" yet.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Will Smith is directing the movie, but his son is not going to star in it. Considering his kid's nine years old, I'm surprised anyone thought that Jayden would be chosen to star, even if it is his dad directing.

Frankly, I hold to the view that The Karate Kid was responsible for a whole lot of troubles with popular perception of the martial arts, and would like to see it shot and buried in an unmarked grave at the crossroads on a moonless night. I blame Karate Kid for the proliferation of idiots who thought that training in the martial arts includes moralistic preachiness and the whole "we train to fight so we don't have to fight" mindset that has permeated the m.a. world and enabled the graowth of the slappy-happy-dance-tourney industry.

If it wasn't for Karate Kid, we wouldn't have had the Three Ninjas. The world would be much better for it, too.

But then, I'm funny like that.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

actually smith is producing not directing and last i heard his son is still involved in the project.

Producing, directing... yeah, I mixed that up. I really should know better.

There's no credibility about a nine-year-old kid playing the lead role, though. Still, there's no credibility to the story anyway, so I guess that doesn't really mean anything.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

well its just will smith expressing his interest in it and smith has star power. he can get 150 million dollar films green lit.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Goldenmane.......I understand what your saying about how the Karate Kid was responsible for the whole idea about martial arts teaching moral principles and learning m.a. so you don't have to fight but doesn't martial arts kind of teach that anyways? I mean the whole thing about bowing when entering the kwoon or dojo and the bowing to your sifu or sensei, isn't that showing moral principle? Isn't that a form of showing respect? Didn't the samarai warrior teach and believe in the whole honor and respect and fighting only when you had to thing? I believe this had something to do with the code of bushido didn't it? I'm not axactly sure of what this code says but from what I understand it has to do a little bit about these things you say m.a. aren't supposed to teach. I understand that m.a. are for combat but if your good in whatever m.a. it is you do, does that give you the right to be a bully or go around starting fights and being disrespectful? Just my take on the subject.

Thumbs up

I like the first episode of karate kid.

It was perfect.

wax on and wax off.

an okinawan vet dealing with precocious impatient teens.

before anything else.

wax on and wax off, then wax on all the cars.

paint the wall

--

classics.

even with remake, some new twists or ideas have to be introduced.

not just changing persons playing characters.

--

I say instead of a remake why not just bring back Ralph Macchio(I'm sure he would appreciate the work) as Daniel and have him mentor a young kid.
    Last edited by BoulderDawg; 10-20-2007 at 03:08 PM.