Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

just make it new one and call it karate bro.

here is a script just for the fun of it.

an african american solider landed in normady or somewhere in europe or north africa. fought ss panzer division or german afrika korp etc.

he got to know a japanese/okinawan solider. so they became the best pals after the war. they both went back to their communities. will smith learned karate from jackie chan.

will smith saw kids involved in drugs, gangs, guns or bullies in the school yard. he started a karate school to teach some ethics and helped the kids stay in school and do no drugs. and the community loved him.

karate brothers or kung fu brothers.

the idea is that if we could win a foreign war at the front

we could also win the drug war at home front or our hood.

takes courage, heart and the whole community.

ain't no drug in my hood.

left, left, left right left. wax on and wax off.

--

man thats a corny story

stick to your day job

will smith leading in remake movies.

I like the "wild wild west".

I hope that they would make a similar if not greater leap in the remake of karate kid.

How's about a movie version of The Partridge Family?:P

yeah i hope they don't do that but then again this is hollywood we're talking about

Get Some just finished up filming and is currently in post scheduled for a 4/08 release.

It's pretty much Karate Kid for the MMA crowd. Might just go straight to DVD but it could put a damper on the re-make.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Goldenmane.......I understand what your saying about how the Karate Kid was responsible for the whole idea about martial arts teaching moral principles and learning m.a. so you don't have to fight but doesn't martial arts kind of teach that anyways? I mean the whole thing about bowing when entering the kwoon or dojo and the bowing to your sifu or sensei, isn't that showing moral principle? Isn't that a form of showing respect? Didn't the samarai warrior teach and believe in the whole honor and respect and fighting only when you had to thing? I believe this had something to do with the code of bushido didn't it? I'm not axactly sure of what this code says but from what I understand it has to do a little bit about these things you say m.a. aren't supposed to teach. I understand that m.a. are for combat but if your good in whatever m.a. it is you do, does that give you the right to be a bully or go around starting fights and being disrespectful? Just my take on the subject.
    Showing respect to the guy who is training you in the arts of fighting isn't morality, and is in fact completely divorced from such. In theory at least, this is a guy who can kick your @rse nine ways from Sunday, and you want him to teach you... not showing him respect is pretty much just asking for the former and begging for him to withhold the latter.

And regards samurai... I'd be willing to bet that they fought whenever they were told to by the guys in charge, like any armed forces anywhere anytime.

My beef with The Karate Kid is that it provided an avenue for exactly this kind of misapprehension to become the mainstream view of the martial arts. Look at the schools that have the dojo kun- one of the most commonly misunderstood and misinterpreted pieces of text out there- on the walls... they go on about respect and not using what you know and all this other shallow, pseudo-morality, and in virtually every case you will be looking at a school that doesn't actually teach the students any valid fighting skills.

Another beef I have with TKK is that Daniel-san didn't actually have to put in any decent amount of practice to become the supposedly amazing fighting machine that defeats his opponent, or whatever... (yeah, it's not like a point-tourney means anything, but the flick didn't exactly make that clear), thus apparently lending credence to the idea that you don't actually have to train (hard, against opponents, for extended periods) to become an accomplished fighter. This has, in turn, led to such travesties as people thinking that taking a Tae Bo class will provide them with real skills in self defense. And other such nonsense.

In other words, TKK was largely responsible for the flowering of total @sshattery in the western world as regards the MAs.

You know, right up to when people discovered Hong Kong cinema.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

Ohhh Nooo.

Now I know there is no God! Bad Idea folks. Next thing you know they'll want to remake Star Wars. Then again if George Lucas lives long enough, they probably will! Anything for another dollar, that's the capitalist way!

suddenly, i'm interested in this project again...

...very interested...

Stephen Chow to Direct Remake of 'The Karate Kid

Hollywood star Will Smith met actor-filmmaker Stephen Chow Friday in Hong Kong, where he attended the Asian premiere of the sci-fi thriller "I am Legend," and invited him to produce, direct and star in the remake of the hit 1984 martial arts movie "The Karate Kid."

Reports say Smith selected Chow because he likes the innovative actions in Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle," as well as his latest film "CJ7," which Smith had seen a rough cut edition at Sony Pictures Classics.
    Stephen Chow

Chow told the media, "I'm very fond of 'The Karate Kid' and would love to join in the remake project, no matter as a producer, director or actor. But it depends on my schedule. As you know, next year I will work on two movies, 'Dragon Ball' and 'Journey to the West.'"

Will Smith hopes to shoot the movie in China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We knew this was coming...

The next questions are who plays Miyagi and Ali?

Will's Kid To Be New Karate Kid

Dec 13 2007 Beverley Lyons And Laura Sutherland

HOLLYWOOD superstar Will Smith has confirmed his son is set to be the new Karate Kid.

The actor said nine-year-old Jaden is lined up to be the martial arts prodigy in a remake of the cult 80s film. He told US TV show Extra: "I met with a few people in China. We're looking to shoot there."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

well if he shoots in china it should be called kung fu kid.

i told you guys to just be patient on this film, that it'll turn out right. don;t know if chow will direct i mean his plate is pretty full. the journey to the west thing look good. and he just finished producing the movie version of jump and he has dragon ball now to produce. the guy is a machine. hollywoods been wanting to work with chow more then jackie so i know they are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    How about the movie coming out about the black mafia gangsters. Who ever heard of such. There are black gangs but a black mafia, come on? Get Real. It's about the same thing. Their trying to re-do the Godfather. You can tell by the advertisements for that movie that thats what thier going for. Just ridiculous. Instead of putting a hit out on someone thier just going to cap em'......lol.

Interesting to see that the evidence of your racist tendencies manifested so early on...

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    american idol and all that crap appeals to young girl but not to young boys my man, whats popular with young boys today is still martial arts all the popular japanese anime and even american anime have proved it, and if this movie gets made(which i kinda hope it does) there's gonna be another surge of kids running to take martial arts lessons. you sound out of touch man, is all the hollywood bullsh!t getting to you???
    Generalizations abound...makes me wonder how they get so many votes on AI. The target demographic seems to be more than just young girls...(I know quite a few who aren't interested in such things).

Isn't the term "American Anime" an oxymoron? Certain terms should just not be lumped together....

I've got no problems with Will Smith or Jaden but this doesn't seem to be a good idea. I myself don't see a surge of new martial arts practicioners. He can make whatever movie he wants. But will it be accepted by all the self proclaimed movie critics? It will definitely have a different "attitude" than the original. Not only are you changing the actor but he is only nine. Someone at the high school age would be more appropriate, especially if they are going to have a girlfriend on set (to make things believable).

**He replaced a 'white guy' in I Am Legend novel but the movie still seemed to do well.**

**Elizabeth Shue, was so cute in her role. Probably going to get some attractive newcomer actress to fill the role of the gf....
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura