Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

well considering anime is a style of cartoon, if its drawn by americans it becomes american anime. lol, as for the film who knows we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    well considering anime is a style of cartoon, if its drawn by americans it becomes american anime.

• Anime is actually a term used to describe animation from a certain place. You should probably already know this; obviously 'anime' is a french word that is used by Japanese to describe animation in general. When other people (non-Japanese) say anime, they usually are just talking about cartoons that were conceived of and/or created in Japan. IOW, their unique way of animation. When Japanese use their term, they mean it to encompass all animation styles.

• A bunch of contempo cartoons exhibit the "style" of anime or try to emulate its uniqueness but that is all that they are, imitations of the original style.

• Like i said, probably something you were already aware of but might have just forgot due to the frenzy of posting on topics that you feel passionate about.

Take care.

lol, as for the film who knows we'll see

Funny to hear that. There are those here who have already passed judgment on this movie...
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Return of Daniel-san

I couldn't resist posting this one. Ralph has been in the where-are-they-now file for some time...
    The Karate Kid to star in Ugly Betty
    Ralph Macchio to play city official in hit show
    Wednesday, 24 September 2008

The Karate Kid is to make a comeback – in the new series of Ugly Betty.

Ralph Macchio, who has been out of the limelight since starring in the hit martial arts films, is lined up to do a guest appearance as city official Archie Rodriguez.

The actor won an army of fans playing Daniel LaRusso when the movie was released in 1984.

Ralph, 46, will be seen on screen in the US at the end of October.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

All right!

I don't watch Ugly Betty...I tried but couldn't stand it...but good for Ralph on getting on a rather popular show.

No one who watched Karate Kid for good action (even as a kid I was making fun of the action) but I loved the actors, 80's music, and the story was done well enough.

I definitely identified as the outcast kid...the only thing I can't relate to is winning the tournament and getting the girl...I think I've said too much now.

46 years old?
    ****...I loved the Miyagi character other than that, not much was any good.
    Sure the Sato one was a walking stereotype, Reese was hilarious and the Pony-Tail TKD guy in the 3rd was a walking cliche.
    It was all good people !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

46 got me too!

He's probably still baby-faced tho.

Ugly Betty isn't nearly as good as Yo Soy Betty La Fea. Telenovelas are hot. Even with Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty can't match the original.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey was on an ep of entourage. while he's not baby faced anymore he doesn't look a man who is four years away from being 50.

Not new...

...but fresh.
    Will Smith's son Jaden Smith to be new "Karate Kid"

Jadensmith Will Smith’s showbiz dynasty is taking over Hollywood.

Jaden Smith starred with his doting dad in “The Pursuit of Happyness” and he’s also in the new sci-fi remake of “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”

Now he’s putting on his brown belt for another remake. This time, it's an updated version of the 1984 film, "The Karate Kid."

And it turns out the role is tailor- made for him: He's already into martial arts!

Variety says the new KK will shoot in Beijing and other international cities.

But don’t worry.

The plot will probably still be "Only the 'Old One' could teach him the secrets of the masters." And "He taught him the secret to karate lies in the mind and heart. Not in the hands."

Thankfully.

It would be horrible if they tried a new plot.

Wonder who will play the late Pat Morita's mentor role? Any suggestions?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What does everyone think about casting Gordon Liu as the new version of Miyagi?

I dont know about the new Karate Kid movie, but my personal childhood favorite is supposedly getting re-made: The Last Dragon. The only details I know is that Samuel L. Jackson is playing Sho'nuf and that Taimak will not be in the movie (neither will Vanity, I'm assuming).

The source

I chased down the Variety article that was posted on Mon., Nov. 10, 2008, 9:00pm PT, which was spawned the Envelope blog above. The Variety is more informative.

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo
    Columbia taps Chris Murphy to write script
    By MICHAEL FLEMING

Columbia Pictures is back in the dojo with a new version of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid," which has been refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith.

The film will be produced by Jerry Weintraub (who launched the original franchise) and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter, Will Smith and Ken Stovitz. Will Smith, who is the 10-year-old actor's father, co-starred alongside Jaden in his feature debut, "The Pursuit of Happyness," which Overbrook and Escape Artists produced for Columbia.

The script is being written by Chris Murphy, and the film will shoot next year in Beijing and other cities. While the new film will be set in that exotic locale, it will borrow elements of the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.

China Film Group Corp. will co-produce in China.

The younger Smith, who next stars in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," is a martial arts practitioner.

Columbia presidents Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach said they had been trying to find a way to bring back the series, which began with three films that featured Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. A subsequent film launched the career of Hilary Swank.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more scuttlebutt

Jackie sort of works for me for Miyagi, even though he's Chinese. If they plan on reworking it significantly, I could see it. But if they are relocating the story to China, shouldn't it be the Kung Fu Kid?
    Jackie Chan circles 'Karate Kid' remake
    Harald Zwart brought in to direct Columbia pic
    By Steven Zeitchik and Borys Kit
    Jan 13, 2009, 07:06 PM ET

Jackie Chan soon could be mentoring a karate kid.

The martial arts star is in negotiations to star in Columbia's remake of "The Karate Kid." He would take on the role of mentor Mr. Miyagi, made famous by Pat Morita in the original franchise.

The studio also has signed Harald Zwart to helm the picture, which possibly will begin shooting this year in Beijing.

Jaden Smith is set to star as the boy to be mentored by Chan's character. Like the original, which starred Morita and Ralph Macchio, the movie will examine the relationship between a martial arts expert and a boy who is picked on by bullies.

Will Smith, James Lassiter and Ken Stovitz's Overbrook Entertainment is producing along with the original film's producer Jerry Weintraub. The setting will be relocated from the U.S. to China. Chris Murphy has been attached to pen the screenplay.

The WMA-repped Chan, who next appears in Relativity's action-comedy "The Spy Next Door," has broad appeal overseas, which undoubtedly appealed to Columbia. His "Rush Hour" franchise has earned about $750 million worldwide.

The ICM-repped Zwart directed the tween hit "Agent Cody Banks" and Columbia's upcoming "The Pink Panther 2."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's what I thought!

I heard that rumour about Jackie being Mr Miyagi and I thought how could it be the karate kid if Mr. Miyagi is from China. He probably wouldn't be named Miyagi, either. I'm sure the producers are saying just don't worry about it.

Some of our pundits on the radio didn't think Jackie would have the gravitas to play him, either. Maybe they need to see more JC movies. Or maybe they should reflect on the fact that Mr Miyagi started off as Arnold on Happy Days.

I wish they would leave this movie alone. I Know the martial arts schools probabley need the boost in enrollments but they should think of another martial arts movie. If they do make it Jackie would be good Mr. Miyagi but the focus should be on kung fu.

ralph machio was excellent in my cousin vinny. how could they forget those yuthe's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.