Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

IMO it'll probably be a big hit. It seems like anything that Will Smith is involved in (even if he's not actually appearing in the movie itself) is usually gold.

Whether or not it'll be a shot in the arm for KF schools, I don't know if MA movies have the same effect on bringing people into schools like they did back in the '70s and '80s.

The bump we got from the original was unprecedented.

There's really been three major film bumps for the martial arts industry: Enter the Dragon, Karate Kid and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. However, most of the schools in our area reported modest increases after both Forbidden Kingdom and Kung Fu Panda. Every little bit helps, especially these days.

Everybody was kungfu fighting
    (China Daily)
    Updated: 2009-09-16 09:07

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan (left) demonstrates his skills to 11-year-old Jaden Smith Tuesday on Wudangshan Mountain, Hubei province. [China Daily]

The Metro team has been keeping a close eye on Hollywood superstar Will Smith and his son Jaden after they were recently spotted wandering the hutongs of Beijing.

And as this new picture reveals, the mega-famous family has moved to Wudangshan Mountain in Hubei province to get lessons from a kungfu master.

Here we can see martial arts superstar Jackie Chan teaching Jaden in this first photo from upcoming film Kung Fu Kid.

Yesterday, Chan and young Smith spent hours shooting fight scenes for the film, which is a remake of the 1984 American teen blockbuster The Karate Kid that starred Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita and Elizabeth Shue.

Before shooting began, the 55 year-old Hong Kong action star demonstrated his skills to Jaden and gave the 11 year-old tips on improving his technique.

The pair then armed themselves with bamboo sticks, positioned themselves on a wooden bridge and began to fight, Sina.com reported.

Chan received several blows on the chest and back.

Kung Fu Kid, a co-production between the State-run China Film Group and Columbia Pictures, began shooting last month in Beijing.

The Smith family were first spotted arriving for a meeting with Chan and the film crew at Beijing Film Studio on July 8, but have since kept a low profile.

According to reports, Kung Fu Kid is set in modern day China, and borrows elements from the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

People Mag coverage

About two dozen reciprocal articles fell out of the People mag piece across the web.
    First Look: Will Smith's Son Jaden is the New Karate Kid
    By Paul Chi
    Sunday November 29, 2009 11:00 AM EST

The boy's got chops!

Learning the moves of a true martial arts fighter, Will Smith's youngest son Jaden Smith is proving he has what it takes when he stars opposite Jackie Chan in a remake of the 1984 classic, The Karate Kid, due in theaters June 11.

"I trained every day for four months with Master Wu [the film's fight coordinator]," Jaden, 11, tells PEOPLE as he takes on his first leading role as an American boy named Dre Parker who moves to China. "We did a lot of stretching."

Jaden mastered front kicks and upper blocks through his hard work ethic and dedication, says Chan, 55, who plays maintenance man Mr. Han – an unlikely friend to Jaden's character. "He took the training very seriously. I was very impressed with him," he adds.

While filming in Beijing, including atop the Great Wall of China, Chan was more than a martial arts mentor to his young costar. "Jackie taught me to ask, 'My left or camera left?'" says Jaden on learning the important directions of acting in front of the movie camera. "That helped."

As the two stars built a dynamic relationship on screen, the teacher and student bond translated into real life. "Jaden had a lot of respect for me as his teacher, even off the set," says Chan. "He is professional as many adult actors who have been in the business for years."

And, as Jaden became a true karate kid, he realized that there is more to martial arts than just the kicking and punching – there are lasting lessons of obedience to be instilled. In fact Jaden's parents appreciate the discipline he learned. "His dad told me that Jaden had changed," says Chan. "When he takes his shoes off, he doesn't throw them in the corner, but puts them away neatly!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The four released pics

Web articles cite this blog as the source.
    New Karate Kid Pics
    By Genevieve M. Blaber "ScarletScribe" on November 30, 2009

New Karate Kid Pics The first pictures from The Karate Kid movie, starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan, are out and... well, they're not bad at all.

Now, I'm a tried-and-true fan of the original Karate Kid series, and I really want to hate this movie for treading on my nostalgia, but look at these pics! They have all of my favorite things: the Great Wall of China, Jackie Chan, a stick... and look at the second picture below. Aw, it's young love! My cynical heart just grew three times. I'm sorry but this movie is kind of growing on me, and perhaps it will differ enough from the original film that we can eventually like/endure/tolerate it on its own terms.

Also, you have to give the young Smith some kudos for that high-kick he's showing off in the third image. Apparently, he underwent four months of training with the film's fight coordinator and learning karate even taught him some discipline.

"His dad told me that Jaden had changed," explained Chan to People Magazine. "When he takes his shoes off, he doesn't throw them in the corner, but puts them away neatly!"

Hey, if a movie can stop Jaden Smith from ****ing off the Fresh Prince then it can't be all bad, right?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chan's mustache is sort of scary, but otherwise, I think it has to be an improvement over the original. Has to be.
    I have seen a lot of movies that I hated. Most come after my reading the book. No movie ever matches the facts of the book. Like Will Smith in I am Legend. It sucked after actually having read the book. Today it is common that the good as well as the bad guys get turned into supermen or all powerful creatures. Doing things that we all know would be absolutely impossible for a mortal man to do.
    Does anyone remember the original Magnificant Seven? The Jap movie made in black and white? Well, the entire story line got changed and was nothing like the original. Believability makes a good movie. If Chan is playing a role in this remake, he will most likely be doing the directing, and if so it will more than likely be a good movie even if the story line is changed. I would like to see it.

LCP

...The Jap movie made in...
    Well, at least you didn't say "nip".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This just in:

The cast for the Cobra Khai has been selected from our very own Kung Fu Magazine. The following roles have been selected:

John Kreese- Played by Sanjuro Ronin. "Sweep the leg" quote will be intact.

Johnny Lawrence- Played by Masterkiller. Since he has experience in pretending to beat up asian guys.

Bobby- Played by Hardwork 108. Since he is constanly either building up his Kung Fu ("But sensei I can beat this guy", or apologizing ("I'm sorry Daniel, I'm sorry) he will be perfect for the role.

Dutch- Played by Bawang. Simply because Dutch was the crazy ass and I feel Bawang would fit the profile best.

Tommy-Played by Dragonzbane76. Simply because only an MMA'er would yell something like "Get him a body bag"

Special guest cameos will include David Ross as the referee (taking the place of Pat Johnson) and Gene Ching as the tournament announcer ("Daniel LaRusso is going to fight?!....Daniel Larusso ladies and gentlemen")

All the actors' salaries will go to benefit the Glorified Pagan Kickboxing Fund.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by iron_eagle_76 View Post
    this just in:

The cast for the cobra khai has been selected from our very own kung fu magazine. The following roles have been selected:

John kreese- played by sanjuro ronin. "sweep the leg" quote will be intact.

Johnny lawrence- played by masterkiller. Since he has experience in pretending to beat up asian guys.

Bobby- played by hardwork 108. Since he is constanly either building up his kung fu ("but sensei i can beat this guy", or apologizing ("i'm sorry daniel, i'm sorry) he will be perfect for the role.

Dutch- played by bawang. Simply because dutch was the crazy ass and i feel bawang would fit the profile best.:d

tommy-played by dragonzbane76. Simply because only an mma'er would yell something like "get him a body bag"

special guest cameos will include david ross as the referee (taking the place of pat johnson) and gene ching as the tournament announcer ("daniel larusso is going to fight?!....daniel larusso ladies and gentlemen")

all the actors' salaries will go to benefit the glorified pagan kickboxing fund.:d
    mazeltov !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ralph machio could never throw a kick like that. good job kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Does anyone remember the original Magnificant Seven? The Jap movie made in black and white?

LCP
    The JapANESE movie was actually Seven Samurai.

As far as The Kung Fu Kid, I kinda doubt Jackie will be doing much directing, other than, maybe, the fight sequences. He doesn't seem to have the pull on the set in his U.S. films that he has (had?) in his own HK movies when he was at his peak.

I just got Sony's 2010 release slate

Maybe they're not calling it Kung Fu Kid after all. Good thing I didn't change the title of this thread yet.

THE KARATE KID
    June 11, 2010
    COLUMBIA PICTURES
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

new movie

might not be shaolin related..but it is wushu related thats for sure
    anyone know which schools is involved in this movvie?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3TwgpOfr0

i posted here since i post in this forum usually..and shaolin is really related to a lot of wushu schools

New Karate Kid movie trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...videocontainer

Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see it. All I saw were a bunch of "Incorporating [thing] into your martial arts training" threads. wtf is that all about?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, that looked good. I really didn't have high hopes for this, but of course, if Jacky Chan is playing the Miyagi character-that adds to the fun, and the kid actually looks like he may be able to pull it off. Machio blew horses in the original.
    I'm actually looking foward to this.
    Yes. Horses.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.