Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin: Temple of Zen: Photographs by Justin Guariglia

ok- first, great book.

second, I have a pet peeve.

ZEN?

I know that is how it is known in the west, but if you are dealing with the source...let's educate, let's be accurate...

If we really wanted to edumacate the west...

...we'd call in Zhongguo.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...we'd call in Zhongguo.
    well if you really want to have the biggest pee pee we could use characters!!!

yeah I know it's just a pet peeve...like when the tv commercial announcer says MAHTZARELLA instead of muzzarella...or when people try and speak whacky patwa...

the calibre of this book, they could have used Ch'an and gotten the point across. I like the packaging too.

I disagree with you on this one, Richard

The book is already running into some marketing issues. Just like Matt Polly's American Shaolin, it's getting shelved in the martial arts section where it's getting lost amongst all the MMA titles. Ch'an is not as much a fixture in the American mind as Zen. Hell, there's a liquor called Zen now - it's based on green tea (and I'm dying to try it, but I'm abstaining from alcohol right now ). Matt's book should be shelved under nonfiction or travel writing; Justin's shelved under fine photography. Those will reach a much wider audience. It's important for Shaolin to reach a wider audience. The use of the Japanese term makes it more international. It loosens the ever-present and inhibiting Chinese possessiveness of their culture.

I know Yanming is into using the term Chan so your position doesn't surprise me at all. Back when I was working on his cover story for our mag and the simultaneous IKF one (don't ever do that, btw, it almost cost me my career), the only change Yanming made to my original drafts was the zen-to-chan one. I understand where he (and you) are coming from on this, but being a print publisher, zen is just more practical and effective. When push comes to shove, I don't really care if it's Japanese, Chinese or Jamaican for that matter (you should hear my whacky patois some day ). I just want what is practical and effective.

P.S. We are the only print mag that uses Chinese characters. Our pee pee is hen da!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You must see the Shaolin Temple of Zen microsite up on Aperture's site.
    Nicely done microsite! Beautiful photos and videos.

In the video section (http://exposures.aperture.org/shaolin/) there is a set labled 'Yue Ya Cha'. The term is not exactly correct for the weapon being demonstrated. Shaolin monks used three alarmed spades in travelling: Yue Ya Cha, Fang Bian Chan and Liu Jing Dang Chan. Yue Ya Cha (月牙叉), is a kind of spade called, Crescent-Moon Fork and, Fang Bian Chan (方便鏟) which is called a Four Directions Convenient Spade. Liu Jing Dang is a 'combination' spade which was designed with Yue Ya Cha on one end and Fang Bian Chan on the other. This is the weapon demonstrated in the video. According to our tradition, this rare double end spade is unique to Shaolin Monastery and was reserved for use by the Abbot and other high ranking monks. This double ended alarm staff was considered one of the 'sacred' weapons of Shaolin and its methods guarded from outsiders. Even its name is not commonly known among traditional Chinese martial arts circles. Today's monks at Shaolin call this weapon "Lu Zhi Dang Chan". However, what has been passed down by our ancestors the name for this alarmed spade is: Liu Jing Dang Chan 流境擋鏟. Interestingly both names resemble and sound similar.

According to the oral tradition the PRC Shaolin monks received, the name "Lu Zhi Dang Chan", comes from Lu Zhi Shen, the name of the monk that allegidly created this weapon; 'Dang – 鐺' meaning clang or the sound of metal colliding; and, 'Chan – 鏟' meaning spade. In our tradition the name 'Liu Jing Dang Chan' means something different: 'Liu 流' – moving place to place; 'Jing 境' – boarder; 'Dang 擋' – block the road, get in the way; and 'Chan 鏟' – shovel.

I find the movements in the form demonstrated in the video to be traditional, however, placing the metal part of this double ended weapon on to the ground in the manner shown is not something one would do in a traditional set.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-16-2007 at 04:55 PM.

green tea liquor you say G~? hmmmmmnnn. I'm not abstaining for the next week or so, I shall attempt to find this, consume it and relay back to you whether or not it is crap.

the problem is the cover. Put people with praying hands and beads on the cover bowing as they tuck their incense into some bowl or another and it will get tossed into the world religions section.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Second look

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    I find the movements in the form demonstrated in the video to be traditional, however, placing the metal part of this double ended weapon on to the ground in the manner shown is not something one would do in a traditional set.
    In looking at this video again it occurred to me, that although this set appears traditional, it appears to be done with the wrong weapon.
    Sets done with a double ended weapon like the "Lu Zhi Dang Chan" / "Liu Jing Dang Chan" would have made more liberal use of tactics with the back end. The set being done
    has only as 4. Looking at the set more carefully, I strongly suspect this set may in fact be for Fang Bian Chan which is a single ended weapon. This would explain why the weapon is placed on the ground as it is.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-26-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    In looking at this video again it occurred to me, that although this set appears traditional, it maybe being done with the wrong weapon.
    Sets with a double end weapon like the "Lu Zhi Dang Chan" / "Liu Jing Dang Chan" would have made more liberal use of tactics with the back end. The set being done
    has only as 5. Looking at the set more carefully, I strongly suspect this set many in fact be for Fang Bian Chan which is a single ended weapon. This would explain why the weapon is place on the ground as it is.
    r.
    That form is identical to the form on Shi De Yang's video cd "Shaolin Convenience Spade".
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Check *THIS* out

I expect to see all SoCal KFMers in the house.

02-02-2008 (56 days)
    Shaolin Temple of Zen
    Photographs by Justin Guariglia FEB 2-MAR 29 Otis College of Art and Design. FEB 2: Public Reception with special kung fu and calligraphy demonstration by Shaolin Monk Shi De Chao from Henan, China, followed by a book signing. FEB 4: Conversation with photographer Justin Guariglia of National Geographic Traveler; Gene Ching, Associate Publisher of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine; and Craig Reid, martial arts film historian, fight choreographer and martial artist. FEB 25: Cultural Representation in the Media - A panel discussion with Felix Guiteirrez, Lena Chao-Young, Clint C. Wilson II and leg by Otis Director of Art History Parme Guitini. FEB 29 Film Screening - Double feature introduced by Craig Reid: 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978) and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (1983).
    For more information, contact: Otis College of Art and Design, Ben Maltz Gallery
    Phone: 310-665-6905
    Event Address: 9046 Lincoln Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA, 90045 USA
    Online: galleryinfo@otis.edu - www.otis.edu/benmaltzgallery
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a great book - my better half had the great inspiration to get this for me for my birthday. After going to Shaolin for the first time late last year this is just what the doctor ordered as most of my shots dont even come close to capturing the vibe of the place.

You should take a closer look at this book when you get the chance. The cover has an aerial kick, granted, but it's from Shi Deyang, who is a traditional practitioner.[/URL]
    and from a traditional form. its the datongbi style of the southern yard. if you look at how his hands are you can imagine how it lands. right fist smashing into the left palm. familiar move? this one just has a jumping split, but its in the traditional form.

on the zen or chan issue-

i agree with fa, because its not just about the word or language its in. zen and chan carry with them implications of separate cultures and practices. zen in japanese traditions is not chinese chan, in that respect. chan is its spiritual parent. zen is a separate evolution with its own distinctly different style. therefore, to say shaolin is a temple of zen would be incorrect.

Did you win?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ch'an is not as much a fixture in the American mind as Zen.
    well...since we're in the fam, it's kinda up to us to be the gatekeepers...no? I mean, like LFJ said...Zen definitely carries with it a lot of contextualization and it's a loaded term here as you point out.

I took another look through the book...I really like those mudra shots a lot!!

and I like the way the book was put together. I'm sorry I missed the dinner when they were around...

I'm surprised nobody is *****ing about them wearing their watches, lol...

Justin is featured in the Jan/Feb National Geographic Traveler

It's the Passage to China: 6th Annual Photo Issue. Justin did the cover photo and is profiled in the One on One section. The video of that interview is online here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Otis Gallery

The microsite for the upcoming Otis Gallery is online now. Hope to see some of you there on the day after Superbowl Sunday!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips