Thread: Tai Chi World Record

Tai Chi World Record

I'd love to see some pics of this.
    Tai chi show breaks record

More than 20,000 people practiced tai chi together for 20 minutes at the former Kai Tak airport today, setting a new record for Hong Kong and celebrating the special administrative region's 10th anniversary.

The Mega Tai Chi Show, jointly organised by the Leisure & Cultural Services Department, the Wushu Union, the Chinese Martial Arts Dragon & Lion Dance Association and the Tai Chi Association, offered martial arts enthusiasts an opportunity to exchange knowledge and skills with local and Mainland masters.

Chief Executive Donald Tsang opened the show today with six renowned Mainland masters and representatives of the three tai chi organisations giving demonstrations.

The department held a similar event in Happy Valley in December 2001 when more than 10,000 people took part, setting a record in Hong Kong for the number of people performing tai chi.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

34,000 and counting

That's outrageous. I thought 20,000 was a lot...
    Updated: 13:11, Monday August 10, 2009
    Tai Chi world record

To mark one year since the Beijing Olympics, more than 34,000 Tai Chi enthusiasts descended on the Olympic stadium at the weekend, to set a new world record for the most people performing the exercise at the same time.

'I'm so happy to be here. Look at how many people there are today!' said He Shufeng, a 58-year-old farmer who travelled from her home 80 kilometres out of Beijing to participate in the event.

'I feel very honoured. I'm a farmer and came on behalf of farmers. I'm was too excited to fall asleep last night,'

Along with a number of other sporting events, China's National Sports Ministry and Beijing's Sports Bureau hope the celebrations will encourage more Chinese people to get involved in sport.

The anniversary of the opening ceremony of the 2008 Games will be marked every year, with August 8th named National Fitness Day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBh4i12y_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2w-f3lc_J8

before this.

actually, the event held on CKS memorial took the title from HK.

and then HK took it back.

and now Beijing holds the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiJdQvTcYMc

More on National Fitness Day

Thanks for the vid links SPJ!
    Inaugural National Fitness Day highlights Beijing Olympics 1st anniversary
    www.chinaview.cn 2009-08-09 08:37:36

BEIJING, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- The inauguration of the National Fitness Day highlighted the first anniversary of the Beijing Olympics here on Saturday.

At a ceremony in the Water Cube Aquatic Center, symbol of the Beijing Olympics, Liu Peng, the director of China's General Administration of Sports and the president of the Chinese Olympic Committee, said," The establishment of Aug. 8 as the National Fitness Day reflects the government's concern over the life and fortune of the people, and it is the best marking of the most eye-catching Olympic Games in Beijing."

"The launch of the National Fitness Day is also a vivid reflection of the legacy that the Beijing Olympics has left for the people and the society," said Liu. "It is an important step to further improve people's health and a great power to enhance the Chinese sports."

Addressing the ceremony, Beijing Mayor Guo Jinlong called on all Beijing residents to join the national fitness program in a bid to make more contributions to the building of "People's Beijing, Scientific Beijing and Green Beijing".

Also on the occasion, Xu Haifeng, a sharp shooter who claimed the first-ever Olympic gold medal for China in 1984, proposed all the Chinese people to take physical exercise at least one hour per day from now on.

The ceremony was also attended by International Olympic Committee (IOC) Press Commission chief Kevan Gosper, IOC Olympic Games Executive Director Gilbert Felli and former IOC Coordination Commission chairman Hein Verbruggen.

In the morning, the Olympic area in Beijing also witnessed more than 34,000 people from all walks of life performing Taijiquan, or martial arts shadow boxing, which set a Guinness world record for the largest martial arts exercise.

Today, a wide range of celebrations were held around the country to mark the first anniversary of the Beijing Olympics and the inauguration of the National Fitness Day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Reports of 34,000 were exaggerated

According to this source, they fell short of that by 4 practitioners.
    There's vid, including wheelchair taiji.
    Good Things: Penguin March, Tai Chi Record, Baby Giraffe
    Written by Sunrise on KGMB9 - sunrise@kgmb9.com
    August 14, 2009 05:27 AM

Talk about relaxation. 33,996 Tai Chi enthusiasts braved the summer rain there to break a world record. According to guiness this display is now the largest mass Tai Chi session. It was part of what the Chinese are calling national fitness day and was followed by a series of demontrations by local dancers and drummers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

50,000 did Tai Chi

/ XENI JARDIN / 6:49 PM MON OCT 19, 2015
    Largest martial arts display record set by Chinese city where 50,000 did Tai Chi

REUTERS
    A Chinese national flag flies as students practice Tai Chi on a high school playground during a Guinness World Record attempt of the largest martial arts display ever.

This attempt took place on Sunday October 18, 2015. It was a hazy day in Jiaozuo, Henan province, China.
    The city successfully set the record by organizing over 50,000 residents to practise shadow boxing simultaneously at 15 different locations on Sunday morning, according to reports in local media.
    'Million' tai chi enthusiasts try to smash world record
    GBTIMES
    2015/10/19

Around one million people are estimated to have participated in an attempt to set a new Guinness World Record for the largest simultaneous tai chi practise session, organisers claimed.

The global event was organised by Jiaozuo City located in Henan Province, reported the Chinese language Henan Daily.

Jiaozuo which is known as the birthplace of tai chi invited people from more than 50 cities in China and abroad to join the record attempt on October 18.

More than 50,000 people performed tai chi simultaneously in 15 different locations in Jiaozuo itself.

However, it's yet to be confirmed whether the city actually succeeded in creating a new world record.

Organisers are hoping the event will help the Chinese martial art into UNESCO's intangible cultural heritage list.

About 300 million people around the world practice tai chi.
    Wow. That's just staggering. Way to go Jiaozuo!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Drone view

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samuel Michaud - Tai Chi for 36 hours

Watch: Montrealer breaks world record for longest tai chi practice

Doing anything for 36 consecutive hours is a lot, but that's especially the case with tai chi.

MONTREAL GAZETTE Updated: September 23, 2019

It started, as so many things do, with a Google search.

Samuel Michaud said he was doing “stupid research on the Internet” in his free time when he found the world record for longest tai chi practice.

Sheila Dickinson lasted 28 hours and 59 minutes in 2017.

The idea of trying for the record stuck in his head, and eventually he’d told enough people in his life that he couldn’t not do it.

All of which explains what the tai chi educator and long-time practitioner was trying to do in Montreal’s Victoria Square on Sept. 19 and 20: 36 hours of tai chi.

Teacher Samuel Michaud practices Tai Chi in Victoria Square on Friday September 20, 2019, during his attempt to set a Guinness World Record. JOHN MAHONEY / MONTREAL GAZETTE

He was also collecting donations for the Make-A-Wish foundation.

“I like the idea of doing something a little bit crazy,” he said as he closed in on that target, “and I wanted to see how I would react doing 36 hours of tai chi.”

He added: “I think that it’s great that in downtown Montreal, where there’s a lot of traffic, a lot of noise, for 36 hours — a day and a half — someone is doing slow movements in tune with nature.”

THREADS
    Tai Chi World Record
    Martial Arts World Records and Stunts
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a lousy reason to fail...

Temuka Tai Chi master forced to give up world record attempt after footage failure
    Joanne Holden
    17:48, Jan 31 2020

BEJON HASWELL/ STUFF
    Thai Chi master David Thew has had to give up on his world record after the videographer failed to upload the footage properly.

Tai Chi master David Thew has been forced to abandon his efforts to register his world record with the Guinness Book of Records after his videographer failed to deliver all of the footage of the attempt.

The 54-year-old Temuka man beat the world record for longest Tai Chi marathon at the Temuka Alpine Energy Stadium on April 27, 2019, overcoming dehydration and sleep deprivation to beat the standing record of 29 hours with 30 hours and 15 minutes and raise $2600 for the South Canterbury Cancer Society.

Thew said he had to withdraw his world record application after the man he paid $900 to film it did not produce the footage needed to prove his success to the Guinness Book of Records.

BEJON HASWELL/ STUFF
    Thew knows "in my heart" he, alongside every supporter and well-wisher, beat the record.

Thew said after 10 months of the videographer not replying to calls, emails, or social media messages requesting the footage be uploaded, he managed to track him down - in Sussex, England.

He said the man at last added the footage to the application and Thew spent days combing through the files.

"What I found was about nine files were doubled up, about four hours were missing, and there was a one-minute discrepancy between one file and the next," Thew said.

"We can't delete any files, only add. We can't keep adding more files that are missing because it would be a total mess.

"I had to withdraw the application. There was nothing else I could do."

JOHN BISSET/STUFF
    David Thew celebrates beating the world record for longest Tai Chi marathon at the Temuka Alpine Energy Stadium on April 27, 2018.

Thew knew "in my heart" he, alongside every supporter and well-wisher, beat the record.

"I always try and find a positive out of every situation. I think it's a good lesson of impermanence," he said.

"Everyone came together, taking shifts through the night and through the day, and just had fun and raised money for cancer.

"You can't put a price on that. Being part of that is worth more than any world record."

But he would not be aiming to beat it again. A Canadian man, Sam Michaud, had already beaten his attempt and was going through the application process - while the current record holder, British woman Sheila Dickinson, was training towards beating Michaud.

"I think I'll leave them to it. It's time to move on and do new things, new challenges, and help people help themselves," Thew said.

"I'll still be teaching and representing New Zealand on the world stage."

Thew has been practising Tai Chi for about 37 years and has won two gold and four silver medals across a number of World Kung Fu Championships.
    THREADS
    Tai Chi World Record
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So many questions...

...but I'll limit it to one: what the heck is the High Range Book of World Records?

Martial arts grand master sets world record in Pines
    Bayside GazetteNewsMartial arts grand master sets world record in Pines

Photo courtesy Sunil Shakya
    Grand Master Sunil Shakya demonstrates kenjitsu, the Japanese art of the sword, during a recent world record setting performance at Chesapeake Martial Arts in Ocean Pines.

By Greg Ellison

(Sept. 10, 2020) Grand Master Sunil Shakya, head instructor at Chesapeake Martial Arts in Ocean Pines, set a world record for longest tai chi performance last month after notching a comparable achievement earlier this summer.

“I am a multi-martial artist and master of 10 different styles of martial arts,” he said.

Born in Kathmandu, Nepal, Shakya, 43, relocated to the U.S. in 2008, three decades after beginning a lifelong study of traditional Asian forms of self-defense, including kung fu, wushu, taekwondo, tai chi, kickboxing, Krav Maga, jeet kune do, close-combat weapons, pankration and kenjutsu.

“I started teaching martial arts back in 2000 all over Nepal, India, Europe,” he said. “I came here for martial arts seminars in New Jersey.”

Although recent record-setting endeavors had to be judged remotely due to covid-19 considerations, on Aug. 21 Shakya qualified for the longest performance of tai chi in the High Range Book of World Records after hitting the two-hour mark.

“Actually, I wanted to go to Guinness World Records but the process was so long,” he said.

This was the second entry in the High Range Book of World Records for Shakya, who also made the pages after performing seven different styles of martial arts back to back on June 30.

Both feats were accomplished at Chesapeake Martial Arts with High Range officials viewing a live stream and nary a spectator, save for Shakya’s wife, Susmita Lama, and 7-year-old son, Syalwon.

“Just me and my family,” he said.

Although only a witness last month, Syalwon Shakya is following in his father’s discipline.

“He’s also a martial artist learning kung fu and taekwondo with me,” he said.

Since beginning martial arts instruction at age 4, Syalwon Shakya quickly excelled and more recently has begun echoing some of his father’s achievements, which have included stints competing, coaching and judging national, international and world championships.

“Last year in 2019, he got a lot of trophies,” he said. “This year we had planned to go to a championship in Virginia but they’re all cancelled, so maybe next year.”

While proud to speak about his son’s recent achievements, Shakya also took first place for taekwondo, kung fu and weapons competitions during the 2019 Mid Atlantic Martial Arts championship in Delaware.

The father and son also placed second in taekwondo team forms and took home a martial arts champion family award.

In lieu of in-person events, the Shakyas continued their winning traditions virtually in 2020.

“This year we did the team forms for an online championship,” he said. “We got first place.”

Sunil Shakya, who was certified by the World United Martial Arts Federation as an eighth-degree Black Belt in March, also took top honors for kung fu, taekwondo and tai chi during the World Martial Arts E-Championship this June.

“Every championship, fortunately at the age of 40-plus, I’m still winning,” he said.
    THREADS
    Tai Chi World Record
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips