Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wah Lum Tam Tui in NYC

Wah Lum Tam Tui in NYC

Hello All!

I have recently moved to New York City and am searching for a teacher. For the last year and a half I have practiced Wah Lum Tam Tui in Maine with truly excellent sifu: devoted to the art, challenging and traditionally-minded. I really have come to love this style (I have some other random martial arts experience) and would like to continue, but it's certainly more important to me to have a wonderful teacher. I haven't been able to turn up anyone teaching Wah Lum. Any advice from the New Yorkers out there?

Thanks,
    aesop

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, I got an idea. In Chinatown, on the corner of Canal and Bowery, by the big Buddhist Temple, there is a bus company, Chung Wah, and I think a few others. They run buses back and forth to Boston for very reasonable rates. You can go twice a month and train in Boston Wah Lum. I am saying this because you seem to have your heart set on Wah lum. Then, you can find trainng partners here and work on hands on drilling and sparring.

Or, check with the Lama Pai guys. From the little I've seen it's not too far off from some of the Wah Lum moves (no Mantis though) so it should be a fairly easy transition.

I was really hoping to investigate this further but haven't really had the opportunity. Maybe you could check it out and give me your impression. How far did you get in Wah Lum?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

um yeah. or kendo.

Hello aesop,

I agree with TenTigers. You can do that or ask your Sifu about distance learning to see if he is agreeable to it.

mickey

there is a lot of kung fu in NYC, go find something new.

there is xing yi, 7*, lama pai, hung gar, xing yi, eagle claw to name a few. i would love to have a great xing yi or hung gar teacher in the same city as me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

dude u said xing yi twice.lol

one of my kung fu sister's comes back to Boston Wah Lum to train at least once a month. She lives in nyc

There ya go, you have a training partner in NYC. My advice to you is, maybe it is time to see what is on the other side. With only 1.5 years in, your still in the infant stages of training. NYC has a lot to offer. Trust me on this look around.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

there probably i a wah lum teacher in nyc. but he probably doesn;t advetise and you gotta know someone to get in(yes there are actually school's still run like that in chinatown) my advice to you is look around at all the plethora of kung fu we have in new york

Wah Lum is worthless.. Don't waste your time, you should go learn Karate instead.

Ha ha ha..

Just kidding.

Really though, there should be some good kung fu in NYC.. Even some internal stuff there.

well some of the best internal in the country is right here in nyc, you got william cc chen(arguably the best exponent of yang style in the west) you got ren guang yi, li tai liang, david bond chan, rudy cury, the list goes on forever

Is the execution of TAM TUI actually so very different from tradition to tradition? Most of the material I have seen looks rather similar. Is this perhaps more of a cultural or political problem? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

I agree with Doug, there's gotta be some great internal MA in NYC for sure.

Wah Lum Tam Tui system, is not the same as the Tam Tui set that many are familiar with. Just as Ying Jow was combined with Fan Tze to create Ying Jow P'ai, but there is no resemblance to Fan Tze forms, it has elements in it to round out the system.