Thread: The art, do, way of your style

The art, do, way of your style

people saw the movie "last samurai" would know that the h2h and old weapon fights are things of the past.

in its place is firearm and modern tech.

samurai as a warring class for the emperor had to give power to the modern army.

--

the do or dao, way or path of a MA would include discipline, certain ethics etc.

such as ken do, ju do, a ki do, kara te do, tae kwan do etc.

we play and train yes.

we compete with a set of rules and ethics.

-

we play fight but also cultivate a set of spirits such as cooperation, following the laws, accept loss and improve to win again etc, we play and fight fair and just etc

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    people saw the movie "last samurai" would know that the h2h and old weapon fights are things of the past.

samurai as a warring class for the emperor had to give power to the modern army.

--

the do or dao, way or path of a MA would include discipline, certain ethics etc.

we play and train yes.

-

we play fight but also cultivate a set of spritits such as cooperation, following the laws, accept loss and improve to win again etc, we play and fight fair and just etc

--

Context is everything
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 10-15-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

in real fight, it is not fair.

bad guys going at you with firearms and outnumbering you.

at first sign of trouble, they would be gone.

--

in real fight, it is not fair.

bad guys going at you with firearms and outnumbering you.

at first sign of trouble, they would be gone.

--

Not if you get them first - preemptive thermonuclear strike is the chi blast of the 21st century !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

LOL.

I lost my train of thought.

--

comment away.

whatever on your mind about to do the DO or not to do the DO?

what we think of as "martial art" may be obsolete for MILITARY use... the karate army isn't going to defeat the judo army to secure Iraq for example....

that being said, for civilian self defense there is some use still for CQC

into this discussion most people run with thoughts of knives, guns and pointed sticks (and fresh fruit if you are a monty python fan)

before we get bogged down in this, let's state the f-in obvious

IF SOMEONE ATTACKS YOU WITH A KNIFE AND KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING

IF A GROUP ATTACKS YOU WITH A PLAN

IF A GROUP ATTACKS YOU WITH WEAPONS

pretty much anything you do, no matter what style, TMA, CMA, MMA = run away.... your chances are not good, they're not good regardless of what you practice or how

But let's go to situations that are a little less lethal, how do you train? Heck, even in the field of blade (knife) defense the increasingly accepted reality is that techniques, skills and attributes you develop against alive, resisting opponents are going to be the foundation of your defense

IE, if he has a knife I won't fight him like it's a UFC cage fight, but a lot of the techniques I am going to use are going to come from a very similar tool box of skills. IE I am going to focus on the knife, I am going to arm drag, I am going to rely on my clinching, my sensitivity, my low line kicks, etc

we've been back and forth over this a lot, it is stil true
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

My 'Do' is that I get to go to class a couple times a week and workout. I get to blow off stress, stay in shape, and have made more than a few friends as well. I get to compete a couple times a year which gives me something to look forward to and an excuse to travel. I get to bond with my kids when I help coach the kids class, and get a kick out of working with the kids in general. I'm also pretty sure I could handle myself rather well if someone came at me, but honestly don't think about it much at all. Only on here really.

I dunno if that's a 'modern adaptation' of the art or not, but it works for me.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Smile

--

we play and train yes.

-

we play fight but also cultivate a set of spirits such as cooperation, following the laws, accept loss and improve to win again etc, we play and fight fair and just etc

--

The way of the warriors was beaten by industrial-military complex (the irony in the movie too). Nothing more nothing less. Now athleticism is underseige by the industrial-pharmaceutical complex. We soon need to have an All Steroid League of Olympics just to accomodate all the top competitors. The way of the warriors has lost once again to industry.

Just look at all the performance enhancing drugs, videos, equipments, books, websites, infomercials, the endorsement game is huge. The true winner is industry-do.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Japanese Do and Chinese Dao have the same denotative meaning, the way. However the connotative meanings vairy alittle. "Do" is the way to something, enlightnement, ect. The Japanese "Do" has a stronger connection with budhism, where you seek a method to sperate yourself from the world in some way.
    "Dao" is the way things are, and your are trying to harmonize with that.

All the japanese Do's serve as a way to preserve japanese culture.

In the Chinese saying Shaolin dao is saying the way shaolin gets down.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE