Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wu mei pai

wu mei pai

apparently wu mei and wing chun were both created by ng mui....anyone care to elaborate on the similarities and differences btwn the 2?

More different than similar

Hello,

I had the opportunity to visit a school teaching Wu Mei several years ago. Classes were being taught mostly by a woman, her husband was the Sifu but apparently was in ill health. I believe that he died sometime soon after and she continued to teach. Unfortunately I do not remember her or his name. I believe the school was in the same area as the Fight House is now in NYC. I think that the only person actively teaching Wu Mei is Ken Long(?) but am not sure.

According to the history presented to me when I visited the school, both Wing Chun and Wu Mei were created by the same person, the nun Ng Mui/Wu Mei. Wing Chun was touted as the beginner training with Wu Mei being the more complete "Advanced" system.

Wu Mei contains several hand forms but does not have Chi Sau per se. The students produce power by a, imo, stamping action with the feet. When demonstrated the students would do a kick by stamping the floor and using the force of the stamp to "rebound" from the floor and kick the opponent. The system also taught many more weapons that traditional WC. I believe that they have weapons in every catagory of long, short, single, double and felxible, but am not a practicianer so I am not positive.

From my brief exposure to the system, Wu Mei looked nothing like Wing Chun and the method of delivery and developing power was quite different. There were also internal aspects stressed as well not found in most WC classes. In my opinion Wu Mei, while a valid and perhaps even powerful art, has little relation to WC and may be using the legend of Ng Mui\Wu Mei to bolster its own credibility.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong as my opinions are based on a very breif encounter almost 15 years ago.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    The students produce power by a, imo, stamping action with the feet. When demonstrated the students would do a kick by stamping the floor and using the force of the stamp to "rebound" from the floor and kick the opponent.

LOL!

The pre-attack "stamping action" is called an Appel. You see it a lot in fencing. Frankly, I would not be surprised if it is originally not from China and was lifted directly from Classical fencing.

It's valid technique, but no, it's not a way to produce more power. If this is not your opinion and the Wu Mei style bills it this way, they don't understand it.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

I havn't seen the art but I have heard it is quite different. This may be the reason why some people suggest Yimm Wing Chun learned from Ng Mui, but the art wing chun was really created by Yimm Wing Chun and not what Ng Mui did. But then, others think Ng Mui is a myth. Who Knows?

For what it is worth, Ng Mui is occasionally linked to Lung Ying, though I also have heard of different creators. I beleive there is also a plum blossom art that is also associated with Ng Mui that is different from wi mei. I am sure others can find other arts as well. Similar to Gee Shim is credited with the creation of several arts.

I am not sure what constitutes the creator acknowledgement. I doubt Gee Shim or Ng Mui practiced anything too close to the arts they are said to have created. THis seems evident in that most of these arts are quite different from each other.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    LOL!

The pre-attack "stamping action" is called an Appel. You see it a lot in fencing. Frankly, I would not be surprised if it is originally not from China and was lifted directly from Classical fencing.

It's valid technique, but no, it's not a way to produce more power. If this is not your opinion and the Wu Mei style bills it this way, they don't understand it.
    Hi Tom,

Please re-read my post, I am not talking about a "pre-attack" motion. I am speaking of using the rebound from a stamp\stomp to generate power and momentum. While I may not agree that this is the best method I would hardly say it can or will not produce more power. Many styles use stamps to increase focus and generate power in attacks. Silat, Hsying Yi for example.

If you doubt whether or not pressing down forcefully will add power to a strike then try hitting something both without and with a stomp. You can see for yourself whether or not there is the potential for additional power to be generated. One of Newtons Laws of Motion is that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, if you could channel the energy from a stomp in the opposite direction there is certainly potential for added power.
    Peace,

Dave

Hi Sihing73,

Sounds good to me. Not sure if it would hold up against the scrutiny of a physicist, but it seems plausible. When we strike, we are using the ground as support. Our force travels out the fist both towards the opponent but also towards the ground. Hopefully the ground will provide support to maximize our punches. It seems to me that if someone stomps down, that force also must travel back up through the fist. IF it can be coordinated, it seems plausible that some power could be generated. Not sure if it would add a significant amount, but judging from the number of arts that use this technique, it probably is enough.

My concern would be the toll the body takes during the stomps. It seems like it could be damaging over time, depending on the surface being stomped and the intensity of the stomp.

To add to the list, I believe Dragon, and perhaps Bak Mei, also uses downward stomps.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Please re-read my post, I am not talking about a "pre-attack" motion. I am speaking of using the rebound from a stamp\stomp to generate power and momentum. While I may not agree that this is the best method I would hardly say it can or will not produce more power. Many styles use stamps to increase focus and generate power in attacks. Silat, Hsying Yi for example.
    I read your post. It's an Appel. As I said, it's legit. Yes, it can "increase focus" and there are far better reasons to do it than that. But, it does not add more power.,, not more than a direct motion, anyway.

Tom,

On this we will need to agree to disagree. By stomping you can and will add power to a strike. If you try this for yourself I am sure you will find this to be true. If not then all I can say is when and if I am in NY again or if you ever visit Atlanta, I would be glad to meet and compare notes. Not a challenge but perhaps we are missing something in this medium.

southernkf,

You raise a valid point. Anytime one strikes energy is returned and channelled through the body. There is a great deal of potential for doing damage over time. One of the reasons it is so important to remain relaxed while striking.

I once had the energy explained to me this way: When we punch if we clench the fist on impact we retain energy. However if we strike relaxed then more of that energy is issued to the target. However, a portion of that energy will always return to us through the fist. Now the more rigid one is the more energy becomes trapped in the body at various stages and this can, over time cause damage.
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    I read your post. It's an Appel. As I said, it's legit. Yes, it can "increase focus" and there are far better reasons to do it than that. But, it does not add more power.,, not more than a direct motion, anyway.
    Bak Mei, Lung Ying, and other Chinese martial arts use it. I don't think it came from fencing.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Ken Lo . . .

. . . who I met in my Cantonese class at CCNY in the 70's is the Wu Mei Pai guy in NYC. I studied with him when he was doing Juk Lum Mantis and Fo Se.
    http://www.wumei.com/
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Bak Mei, Lung Ying, and other Chinese martial arts use it. I don't think it came from fencing.

I don't know. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out it was actually imported from Classical European fencing instead of the other way around, at least in the case of "Wu Mei" style.

I've not done fencing, but did a quick Google (so sue me!) because it sounded interesting. From a quick scan it seems like the Appel is kind of like a feint - so that your opponent can't tell if you're going to lunge or advance. Can you compare this to the Wu Mei Pai usage?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Well, Bak Mei and Lung Ying use a step that's called Bik Bo or pressing step. IMHO it's a rather strange phenomenon that a lot of the LY/BM guys tend to stomp as they do the Bik Bo. The step is meant to press a forward momentum but somehow it's been interpreted as a stomp and some people go as far as "borrowing" the rebound. ...so

Just a thought

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    some schools of SPM do this as well, as does Ba Ji,Hsing Yi, and others. The stomping creates not only a "vibrational force" but also traine sthe practitioner to immediately root to the ground for the moment of impact. Rooting is not standing in a horse stance and trying to strike, but one needs to have it at the precise moment of impact, so yuo can develop a sort of "movable root."

Sounds like the stamping action may be used with what otherwise would be a stampless pressing action of footwork to move or create power, as in the rear leg pressing used in WCK.. But I am not familiar with these other systems..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu