Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between Akido, and Chin Na?

What is the difference between Akido, and Chin Na?

Can anyone tell me specifically? So much looks so similar. There are a few key things that scream Akido, but nothing that I see to separate Chin Na from it.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Aikido has a little Tai Chi incorporated in it by way of transferring momentum/energy or redirection of.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Tai Chi comes from Tai Tzu & Hong Quan, so all that is in Chin Na too..especially when you realize that Taiji is a lot of Chin Na.

as one who has had training in aikido i would say the difference is style and philosophy. During Ueshiba Morihei's early travels in Manchuria he most likely learned bagua forms an chin na from the people he traveled with. He was already skilled in Aiki-jitsu and kendo was a Soldier. he created aikido well after those brutal times and it became an excersise in movement and harmony of oneself through life. most people Bash aikido because the actual fighting ability of most aikido practitioners is not that great. it takes years to master the techniques and even then Aikido STILL does nothing but choreographed routines that in my opinion lead to nowhere. I learned to fall and to recieve and bind an attack so that i could have a chance of countering with something more aggressive. as for chin na, those techniques are what i feel to be the Base and fundamentals of aikido as well as aikido being a japanese version of Bagua(in a sense) both are circular in nature and both rely on grappling and manipulating the joints and take downs with emphasis on hyper extending those joints to the point of tearing ligaments right off the bone.

i feel that aikido is a beautiful expression but as a really good way of defending oneself? well it can help but should not souley be relied upon.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Sometimes when we are drilling something and a student points out,- "hey, this is just like what I learned in such and such style". Our sifu always has the same reply, he nods his head and says,- " thats because good fighting is good fighting".

Earlier this year there was a pit fight at a local bar, very ruff and bloody game there. One of the fighters won his match with a stone cold K.O., he used what we in crane world call clear and fist hook. The fighter has never stepped foot in or probably never even heard of a TWC classroom, yet there he is using one of our signature favorites.

Good fighting is good fighting.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

The chin na I learned had more resistance training and more chin na specific strength training rather than just relying on what you have already. Most of the akido I've seen seems to be entirely based on using your own opponents strength again him. You'll never just flat out overpower someone (at least from what I've seen... never taken a class myself).

I suppose akido is one way of practicing chin na. My teacher wouldn't say it's not "chin na" just because it's from another country. It's just a Chinese word for a type of application.

I think there are fundamental usage differences, I just don't know what they are.

happy to be of service

Oh, I know this one! They're different martial arts!

More accurately, one is a japanese martial art, and one is a category of techniques in the chinese martial arts.

Gee, THAT narrows it down to somthing visibly identifiable!!

I wonder why i couldn't figure THAT out for myself!!

I know! I was quite surprised too! (But I didn't want to say anything; you know, for appearance's sake.)

LOL!!!

--------------------------------------------> Sell March 08 Cocoa

This may not make any sense to most folks but the difference is actually quite simple.

Aikido, somewhat like Korean YU SOOL is based on Newtonian Physics, including manipulation of velocity, angle/vectors, mass, power, timing and so forth.

CHNI NA, like Korean HAPKIYUSOOL is based on impacting the neuro-muscular system.

Now here is where the problem comes in and the clarity goes out the window. Each of the arts I have mentioned is not exclusive to the other arts meaning each art has aspects of the other arts involved. This is why the minute you make a gneral statement about, say, Aikido, someone is bound to make a comment like "but we do that other stuff, too!"

So what it comes down to is a matter of emphasis and also where one grabs the art in its development. Early Ueyshiba Aikido and Early Choi Hapkido are pretty nasty stuff and based almost exclusively on Physics. In time Ueyshiba became very "cosmic" in his teaching and suddenly Aikido became a "love fest". Hapkido has likewise loosened-up quite a bit to make it a greater commercial success. CHIN NA has not lost its edge, but I imagine its just a matter of time. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

The difference between akido and chin-na?

Only one of them exists.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Aikido has a little Tai Chi incorporated in it by way of transferring momentum/energy or redirection of.
    Nope. They do both work on 'transferring momentum/energy or redirection of', but that doesn't mean that aikido 'incorporates' tai chi: they have proven different origins and different ways of 'transferring momentum/energy or redirection of'.

Incidentally, boxing could be described as 'transferring momentum/energy or redirection of': if I punch you in the face I am transferring my momentum/energy into your face; if I parry your jab I am 'redirection of'!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 10-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan