Thread: Savate Kicks vs. Muay Thai Kicks

GinSueDog Guest

Savate Kicks vs. Muay Thai Kicks

Just a quick question, in my training we practice both a number of Savate kicks and Muay Thai kicks. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on developing power with the Savate kicks as they seem much weaker then my Thai kicks. Also which do you preferr to use in sparring and why? Thanks.-ED

Kristoffer Guest
    I think that Savate sucks. Mauy Thai is better in all aspects.

Yo ED

Roy Harris has an exelent article in developing power in the Savate "Fouette"

Check it out at :- http://www.royharris.com/technique/kicks2.html

YODA

GinSueDog Guest
    Yoda,
    Thanks bro, I am checking out that articile now.-ED

Ian Brewster Guest
    My instructor has a saying

"Move like a Savate man and hit like a Thai boxer"

In my experience
    Thai Boxers have excellent power but I think their footwork and accuracy need work. Savate men have excellent accuracy, amazing footwork but lack power in certain areas....

As Bruce lee said "absorb what is useful and reject what is useless"

Instead of looking at which art is "better" look at how the addition of other concepts can improve the art itself.

Hope that makes sense....

Ian

GinSueDog Guest
    Ian,
    The Reason I wish to develop certain Savate kicks is because they have a longer reach and as you stated accuracy. I have studied Muay Thai in the pass and have a strong Thai kick IMHO. I am not replacing one technique for another. I just want to make better use of my long reach that my height offers by developing more power with some of the Savate techniques that I know. It is not an issue of which techniques are better or which art is better, it is a issue of what tools to use, and when to use them, peace.-ED

Ian Brewster Guest
    For you guys inquiring about Savate,

Here is something you guys might find interesting...it is worth going to if you have the chance...

Ian Brewster

EAST COAST CENTER FOR JEET KUNE DO & NJ Savate Federation
    presents
    Boxe Fançaise Savate
    with
    Prof. Salem Assli

- Savate

- Boxe Française

- Lutte Parisienne

- La Canne

Professor Salem Assli is recognized worldwide as a leading expert in Boxe Francaise/Savate (the French art of Foot-Fighting) and Lutte Parisienne (Parisian Fighting). He has taught seminars in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States. He has been featured on the cover of Black Belt magazine,Inside Karate and other martial arts magazines worldwide.
    Prof. Assli is also a certified instructor in Jun Fan Gung Fu (Jeet Kune Do) by Sifu Dan Inosanto and was the Savate instructor at the Inosanto Academy in Los Angeles, CA.

This seminar will cover Boxe Francaise/Savate techniques, hand and foot combinations and sparring drills both for the ring and for self defense. French cane fighting (La Canne) will also be covered.

Saturday May 20th and Sunday May 21s 1pm to 6pm
    Savate seminar with Prof. Salem Assli

555 E. 90th (enter 91st and York Avenue)
    New York City
    Studio 2

Fee: Advance Registration: $80-2 days $60-1 day
    After deadline* : $90-2 days $70-1 day

Equipment: Boxing Gloves, Focus mitts, Training shoes, practice cane

For more information contact:
    Armando Basulto (212) 539-2679 or (201) 861-3772
    or visit our website at: www.wayofnoway.com
    --------------------------------------
    East Coast Center for Jeet Kune Do/PFS www.WayofNoWay.com

lol

TTT for Vash
    Checkit, I made a post here way long ago. Was I a member then or just a guest? aaahhh... old skool
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Savate suxors!

BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Talking

yes, ignorance is cool
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by Kristoffer
    yes, ignorance is cool
    Dang straight!

Originally posted by
    I think that Savate sucks. Mauy Thai is better in all aspects.
    Bring in da noise, bring in the da funk.

I saw bring in da noise, bring in da funk when it came to my city. Savion is quite talented.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

We here in El Dorado never get no culture.