Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA...Multiple Attackers

MMA...Multiple Attackers

I don't know about the area you guys live in but where I grew up people got jumped a lot and even now in clubs and bars etc. they still do it's rarely a one on one fight. so how do mma guys deal w fighting more than one person
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Have more friends than the other guy.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

You don't if you can avoid it. Either difuse the situation or run away. Any art that says you can routinely beat multiple attackers is full of it and should be avoided.

They shoot ticket numbers out their arse and everyone has to wait thier turn. It's not like the TMA methods for dealing with mulitple attackers are that great. You move, try and stack your oppents. Attack one and then the next. How will you ever figure that out without training.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    I don't know about the area you guys live in but where I grew up people got jumped a lot and even now in clubs and bars etc. they still do it's rarely a one on one fight. so how do mma guys deal w fighting more than one person
    Kind of like this:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...039138&q=fight

no martial art will prepare you for multiple attackers. karrody and kungfu are just as bad as pulling guard.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

I feel old after reading this. I have now seen this question posed with Kung Fu, Ninjitsu, BJJ, and now for this decade or so, MMA.

Train whatever you do to handle what you want to handle. If you dont have an answer for it, then go find it somewhere else, or look deeper.
    -Golden Arms-

Blog Entries
    the best thing to do against multiple attackers IMO is as the video Knifefiighter posted. you attack fast and hard until all are down or until the threat is stopped.

but what you didn't see it is the others trying to fight that guy as he's swinging.......those guys **** themselves when he began swinging.

on the other hand, the video im posting makes it hard for any martial art style to deal with......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_y8HpuYLMU
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    remember this video, this guy is handling them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-kw1KBU2ps

I'd say look for an opening.....and run like hell through it. When youre a few blocks away turn around to see if they're following you. If not then you've made it. Go to sleep and wake up the next day at home not in the hospital.

No art prepares you for multiple attackers. It's a fact of life. If you can't get away simply pray you aren't crippled or worse.

It's amazing that a "self-defense" school doesn't teach how to verbally diffuse a situation. But gun disarms....that's more practical

hsk....the video you posted on the field looks more like a gang initiation. The guy being attacked is a new member. Especially since there's a video camera waiting to film it, which is what they tend to do.

The one in the parking lot doesn't count in my book. Any one of those guys had plenty of chances to simply leave. But what did they do....they stood there with their dukes up waiting either for an attack or to attack. That's not self-defense......that's voluntary fighting. If anyone got hurt toward the end then they asked for it.

Most people I know choose to frequent places where the potential of this happening is practically non-existent. If you grew-up in the location, certainly you must have some idea of where violence is highly possible and where it is not. I guess I would like to know why you would set yourself up to be found in such a place and what sort of behavior you might be demonstrating to invite that sort of attention.

Where I grew up we had a tavern which was notorius for Friday Night blood-bathes. Everybody knew about the place and only the guys looking for that sort of action chose to go there.

If you don't like multiple attacks, it seems like the solution is pretty obvious. Let the meat-bags have that place and you take the rest of the world. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce W Sims; 10-08-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries
    yeah but being jumped in means you have to fight back to prove you're no punk. if you just take the blows you're not worthy. at least where im from......and usually being jumped in was alot more bloodier than that. but that was like the late 70's and 80's.

but we can go on for days, the simple matter is put yourself in that position and how would you handle it?

some will try to walk away, others will fight their way out. unfortunately for me, being paralyzed from the waist down meant i will never run again. so i have no choice but to stand and fight or get my ass beat. either way, i'd rather take a great ass beating over being killed by a gun any day.

i wish people would go back to those days where at least you live to see tomorrow......in a whole lotta pain, but you see tomorrow.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-08-2007 at 05:32 PM.

if what you mean by MMA are those in grappling, the answer is no, they cannot handle multiple attacker,

but strikers can.. wether karate, aikido,kungfu, muaythai.. no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Excellent video, but those guys didn't really want a fight.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    They shoot ticket numbers out their arse and everyone has to wait thier turn.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by specialed View Post
    no martial art will prepare you for multiple attackers. karrody and kungfu are just as bad as pulling guard.
    Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce W Sims View Post
    Most people I know choose to frequent places where the potential of this happening is practically non-existent. If you grew-up in the location, certainly you must have some idea of where violence is highly possible and where it is not. I guess I would like to know why you would set yourself up to be found in such a place and what sort of behavior you might be demonstrating to invite that sort of attention.
    As someone who supposedly grew up in a dangerous place you should know that in many cases there's no avoiding it. I lived in a whole neighbourhood renowned for high violent crime. Just walking home from the pub at night could make you a target. I refuse to stay barricaded in my home in my hometown. But I wasn't looking for trouble. For example, one day my friends and I were walking home from the pub and someone drove a car at us (and mounted the pavement)... we had done absolutely nothing. One of my friends, a big arsy biker, chucked a bottle off their back window, and they came back with another car load, got out and legged us down the street. I was avoiding them as fast as I can, and believe me I can avoid pretty quickly! But, there was a young lady with us who didn't have running shoes on, so I had to go back... It could have been my funeral through absolutely no reckless behaviour of my own.

You could say I should have avoided the friendship of the big arsy biker, but he was a good friend and good back up in many situations we had... and as I said, he didn't actually initiate it, though his de-escalation skills needed some work.

If you don't like multiple attacks, it seems like the solution is pretty obvious. Let the meat-bags have that place and you take the rest of the world. FWIW.
    Like I said, I don't see why I should have to give up my neighbourhood to that mentality. Running away makes you part of the problem. In the end I moved away for other reasons, but if I go back I intend to do some outreach work as I did to a small extent before I went.

Quote Originally Posted by jet64 View Post
    if what you mean by MMA are those in grappling, the answer is no, they cannot handle multiple attacker,

but strikers can.. wether karate, aikido,kungfu, muaythai.. no doubt
    Look! Nonsense! How refreshing! You think karate is any better to fight multiple attackers? You think aiki is (and you think aiki is a striking art?!)?! For the thousandth time on this board, if you can't handle one person, you can't handle more than one and any trad MA that doesn't practice live hard contact is kidding himself.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan