Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting in a circle

Fighting in a circle

I was talking to my Sifu about my next test. He was telling me for part of my test I have to stand in a circle and use only defensive techniques while I get attacked be different MAist from different styles. If I step out out the circle I fail that part. after that section I'm allowed to use offensive moves aginst my attackers. anyone have any experience w this type of test? Don't know when It's gonna happen, I hope he lets me record it.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I learned a drill similar to this, but it was countering, from my old Kenpo days, and later again, with Alan Lee's Wing Chun. Do a search on it on youtube, I believe there is a vid of them doing it. It's fun and gives you that adrenal response.

when you pass, do you get to burn a tiger and a dragon into your forearms?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

You get to lift the electric rice cooker and bring it to the sink to wash it. You will have the Panasonic logo burned into your forearms as a sign to all of your commitment and dedication to Kung Food

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    You get to lift the electric rice cooker and bring it to the sink to wash it. You will have the Panasonic logo burned into your forearms as a sign to all of your commitment and dedication to Kung Food

Rice cooker for the win !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

where is Gene to promote the "Official Shaolin Temple Rice Cooker"

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    I was talking to my Sifu about my next test. He was telling me for part of my test I have to stand in a circle and use only defensive techniques while I get attacked be different MAist from different styles. If I step out out the circle I fail that part. after that section I'm allowed to use offensive moves against my attackers. anyone have any experience w this type of test? Don't know when It's gonna happen, I hope he lets me record it.
    it really depends on how you go about training a fighting circle. Its a fun drill, and it can if done correctly really work on your first initial reactions in a fight. It doesn't train all the aspects of a fight and you must also do allot of sparring and drills.
    I wouldn't use it as test. Here is how we do it...
    person stands in middle, when he faces a person that person attacks in a realistic manner ( faster strong ect.. are increased as needed). You have to attack a realistic distance and don't wait for the person to get ready. He continues to turn after each attack and he continues till he can't defend himself anymore.

its called a reaction training drill its not fighting. you don't need a circle you can do it with three people even. one person is the defender the other two take turns attacking as soon as the person deals with the other person.

its fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    I was talking to my Sifu about my next test. He was telling me for part of my test I have to stand in a circle and use only defensive techniques while I get attacked be different MAist from different styles. If I step out out the circle I fail that part. after that section I'm allowed to use offensive moves aginst my attackers. anyone have any experience w this type of test? Don't know when It's gonna happen, I hope he lets me record it.
    Hi,

This sort of thing never made sense to me, depending on how you look at it. If you look at if from the perspective of ritual or rite of passage, then maybe. I think the only real benefit is it gives you the experience of being under tremendous pressure and see how you will react. But most people I talked to that have been part of something similar seem to suggest that they can fight a bunch of black belts simultaneously. The problem with this, I always thought, is if these guys are good and went through this same treatment, shouldn't they be able to kick your butt, especially in a group? So the test is somehow ratcheted down if your expected to successfully defend yourself, or you seriously get your butt kicked if they are allowed to go full steam. I have heard of both approaches.

In either case, I am not much of a fan of this sort of test. Though I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of putting yourself in the situation. I think that can be an eye opener. I would prefer a good test where one GOOD person tests the skills of the other person.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziUvBqX-zI&NR=1

(I still say he looked like Tom Hanks)

lucky for me they all don't attack @ the same time. one at a time. and when I pass I'll get a big full body brand it's a dragopanager
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziUvBqX-zI&NR=1

(I still say he looked like Tom Hanks)

I think I am the only one who commented on the fact that he is a good foot taller and at least 50 lbs heavier than any of those guys in his randori.

as well, many of his attackers were going into an aerial roll before segal touched them.

so, he gets 4 stars for movie fu and zero for realism.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL, that is my point. I am assumming all those people were in that Randori prior to Segal. I would also bet they looked as good in theirs. So if they all were so good that they could toss people around, why couldn't these guys toss Segal around just as effortlessly? Perhaps Segal is making his way to the badness that Chuck Norris is See this page. In that case, nobody would then move on if Segal was part of their randori. LOL.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

aaawwwwwwwww lkfmdc

I'm disappointed that wasn't a hyperlink above to some more of your fine photoshoppin'
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm disappointed that wasn't a hyperlink above to some more of your fine photoshoppin'
    I hate to disappoint Gene, so here you go
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-21-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    it really depends on how you go about training a fighting circle. Its a fun drill, and it can if done correctly really work on your first initial reactions in a fight. It doesn't train all the aspects of a fight and you must also do allot of sparring and drills.
    I wouldn't use it as test. Here is how we do it...
    person stands in middle, when he faces a person that person attacks in a realistic manner ( faster strong ect.. are increased as needed). You have to attack a realistic distance and don't wait for the person to get ready. He continues to turn after each attack and he continues till he can't defend himself anymore.

its called a reaction training drill its not fighting. you don't need a circle you can do it with three people even. one person is the defender the other two take turns attacking as soon as the person deals with the other person.

its fun!
    Actually the idea of that is for a fighter learn to use a small availble space when fighting. in that drill there is limited space so you cannot retreat in straight lines but the use of circular technique and its a drill to develop ones skills in stances, agility.