Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting in a circle

This idea is very familiar to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    I was talking to my Sifu about my next test. He was telling me for part of my test I have to stand in a circle and use only defensive techniques while I get attacked be different MAist from different styles. If I step out out the circle I fail that part. after that section I'm allowed to use offensive moves aginst my attackers. anyone have any experience w this type of test? Don't know when It's gonna happen, I hope he lets me record it.
    Yep! Experienced this I have *no Yoda voice intended!*

I can see how we all might be wary of this sort of training, but you have to read into what Shadow Skills teacher has said, ie use only defensive techniques. This type of training should be within a national standard for all Martial Arts, IMO, as it has some unique attributes.

I've watched the clips of Aikido 'group sets', which I personally find no more challenging than choreographing a decent demo or Youtube Fight Scene. VERY good to experiment and refine technique and train stamina, especially if you can actually remember how to use a hundred techniques one after the next! But mostly this type of training is used to 'pressure test' a single technique. Also, if the defender has to 'look' at someone to invite them in, this is an early stage of training.

In my day (coz I'm that old!) we used a minimum of 3-8 people and referred to the training as Baat Gwa 'level'. At a higher standard a General is placed within the group to signal students into attack, starting by calling them in then just with a silent gesture. The idea behind this is to literally fight the defender until he has no strength left. Generally used in the Military to defeat Generals with Footsoldiers as no one can survive indefinately! There is some major endurance stuff happening here, and thats not just for the defender. The circle can move in both directions and at an advanced level is very fast and changeable, causing the defender to lose all his directional mind. Its a heavily disciplined team building exercise, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to 'test' a technique.

A very good tactic for assessing a students competence...

From the responses I'm getting I don't think I explained this well enough, Sifu draws, tapes whatever a circle on the floor. If I step out I fail. anyone done this?
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

I was talking to my Sifu about my next test. He was telling me for part of my test I have to stand in a circle and use only defensive techniques while I get attacked be different MAist from different styles. If I step out out the circle I fail that part. after that section I'm allowed to use offensive moves aginst my attackers. anyone have any experience w this type of test? Don't know when It's gonna happen, I hope he lets me record it.
    i di something similar with my sifu in xing yi chuan but i wasn't a circle and it was just him or one of my class mates who did defferent style. and it wasn't it was just to get me use to doing mtations in xing yi to allow it to flow more like boxing. there are other ways of doing it but this way you know what woks for you and what doesn't like me i can use the first four fist and the tiger step of xing yi very well but i'm not good with the last fist and some of the other animals. which don; translate well to me.(need more practice)

Blog Entries
    i will take an honest crack at this although i know everyone here is messing around.

the circle idea isn't a new one, and i think its a good idea. in fact, i make my guys spar 3 on one all the time.

if you think about the purpose of a circle it can represent a small confined area. and knowing where the lines are so you don't step out during the melee of the situation is great because it forces you to do what you know in such a confined area.

imagine being in a packed club, and don't have the room to do swing or move better. if you got into a fight in the midst of them its like the same concept of the circle.

if you cross you fail......its a little harsh, but if they set the bar that high for you, then they want more out of you then you currently give them.

i've also known circles to be of people, and with one in the middle. out of nowhere people will charge you and you defend attack or what ever.

so go with it.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by jet64 View Post
    Actually the idea of that is for a fighter learn to use a small availble space when fighting. in that drill there is limited space so you cannot retreat in straight lines but the use of circular technique and its a drill to develop ones skills in stances, agility.

if you want you can do the drill like a Kung fu movie.. but then its a waste of time. Just stick to sparring and two person drills. The ones were you take turns throwing combinations and countering.

here are some clips of the drill done by different skill levels.
    http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Mastermpg/112699h.mpg
    http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Mastermpg/121099f.mpg
    http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Mastermpg/102599q.mpg
    http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Mastermpg/102799q.mpg
    http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Mastermpg/102799u.mpg

Sifu Allen Lee has some clips on Youtube of his students doing the same drill but slower.