Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Average" MMA

Hybrid View

"Average" MMA

There has been lots of talk of MMA people. Some camps point to the domination of MMA venues. Granted, traditional martial arts haven't done well, with some very limited exceptions. My thought is that the reason of dominance, at least in one part is because you have a different grade of fighter that competes in these events and learns MMA from those who study more traditional arts. MMA guys are typically alpha males that like aggression. Many of these guys are happy to trade punches and go toe to toe, and some just use MMA as a means for aggression. Though there are others like Royce who are in a different camp and show the beauty, sophistication, and technical command he has in his art.

A recent post/video clip illustrated a point that the average mma person may not be so indestructible as some people suggest. I am not likely to fight or encounter someone of the likes of Gracie (any of them), Lidell, or any of the people that typically fight in pro venues. The average MMa person doesn't have those level of skills, but no doubt they do have valid skills. My personal goal is to be able to handle myself against someone of comparable training in MMA skills against mine. I would expect to be able to deal with what he offers. Perhaps I win, perhaps I lose, but I shouldn't be dismantled at will.

Success in my mind comes from having a very stable foundation. In all the fighting arts I learned (where experienced sport fighters taught), the topic was always the same, have a small skill set you master and rely on those. Don't get fancy or try something you haven't nailed. I think many of the martial arts demos I have seen fails because of this. I see people not having a strong foundation and relying of less that stellar skills. I think the beauty of MMA is that it forces us to be honest and have to bring those skills up to the proper level. My own recent sparring sessions seemed to credit this idea. When I failed in performing my wing chun properly, my execution suffered greatly and I was constantly off balance and played defense. When I happened to stick to what I was capable of doing and ensure that I was doing it properly, the outcome was much more favorable. And in fact, I could see why certain training aspects were vital where I used to take them for granted.

anyways...

So my question is has anyone else gone up against average MMA guys and what was the result? Does anyone have any intention on working with MMA guys? And how do you deal with them? Do you treat them differently, or treat them as any fighter?
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by southernkf View Post
    There has been lots of talk of MMA people. Some camps point to the domination of MMA venues. Granted, traditional martial arts haven't done well, with some very limited exceptions. My thought is that the reason of dominance, at least in one part is because you have a different grade of fighter that competes in these events and learns MMA from those who study more traditional arts. MMA guys are typically alpha males that like aggression. Many of these guys are happy to trade punches and go toe to toe, and some just use MMA as a means for aggression. Though there are others like Royce who are in a different camp and show the beauty, sophistication, and technical command he has in his art.

A recent post/video clip illustrated a point that the average mma person may not be so indestructible as some people suggest. I am not likely to fight or encounter someone of the likes of Gracie (any of them), Lidell, or any of the people that typically fight in pro venues. The average MMa person doesn't have those level of skills, but no doubt they do have valid skills. My personal goal is to be able to handle myself against someone of comparable training in MMA skills against mine. I would expect to be able to deal with what he offers. Perhaps I win, perhaps I lose, but I shouldn't be dismantled at will.

Success in my mind comes from having a very stable foundation. In all the fighting arts I learned (where experienced sport fighters taught), the topic was always the same, have a small skill set you master and rely on those. Don't get fancy or try something you haven't nailed. I think many of the martial arts demos I have seen fails because of this. I see people not having a strong foundation and relying of less that stellar skills. I think the beauty of MMA is that it forces us to be honest and have to bring those skills up to the proper level. My own recent sparring sessions seemed to credit this idea. When I failed in performing my wing chun properly, my execution suffered greatly and I was constantly off balance and played defense. When I happened to stick to what I was capable of doing and ensure that I was doing it properly, the outcome was much more favorable. And in fact, I could see why certain training aspects were vital where I used to take them for granted.

anyways...

So my question is has anyone else gone up against average MMA guys and what was the result? Does anyone have any intention on working with MMA guys? And how do you deal with them? Do you treat them differently, or treat them as any fighter?
    MMA fighters are just like boxers, Muay Thai fighters, judoka's ( ok, not as cool as judokas but who is?) and any other types that like hard contact fighting.
    They are no less violent or no more, though they seem to like tatoos a lot...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    MMA fighters are just like boxers
    IME a very different 'type'.. A boxer won't shoot...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    IME a very different 'type'.. A boxer won't shoot...
    LOL

Chi blasts at 20 paces !

LOL

Chi blasts at 20 paces !
    Not sure what that means..

My point was that when dealing with the MMA type, unlike most other types you have to worry (and train) to deal with, someone who can potentially shoot very well and take it to the ground..

Some folks think that their standard WCK training is enough for this, meaning without working with those who do it and do it well--a mistake IMO..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

MMA are fighters like any other fighters, the fact that they use certain tools is irrelevant to the "make up" of them as fighters.

so this part:

My thought is that the reason of dominance, at least in one part is because you have a different grade of fighter that competes in these events and learns MMA from those who study more traditional arts. MMA guys are typically alpha males that like aggression. Many of these guys are happy to trade punches and go toe to toe, and some just use MMA as a means for aggression.
    Is a gross generalization.

LOL

Chi blasts at 20 paces !

Try not to post that kind of nonsense. Keep on the topic

"well according to the guys at Bullshido WC'ers tend to be skinny nerds."

***Big deal. They're trying to sell tickets to their B U L L show.

What else would you expect them to say?

Quote Originally Posted by southernkf View Post
    A recent post/video clip illustrated a point that the average mma person may not be so indestructible as some people suggest.
    Which video?
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Which video?
    Did he ever post what video he's talking about?

No I didn't. That is not relevant to the discussion really and I have a hard time finding it since that thread was so active and it is buried.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Which video?
    That would be these: (inferior vs superior systems)
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2237585
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2288188
    Last edited by YungChun; 10-10-2007 at 07:12 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Those were awesome videos. One day I'd like to spar with someone like that.

Friendly, and learning from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_ATT View Post
    Those were awesome videos. One day I'd like to spar with someone like that.

Friendly, and learning from each other.
    Anthony,
    You've touched on a very important truth here. You can learn alot during a friendly exchange with someone. It allows you to work on your skills, timing, footwork etc. I truely hope that you get to "spar" like that from time to time.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Anthony,
    You've touched on a very important truth here. You can learn alot during a friendly exchange with someone. It allows you to work on your skills, timing, footwork etc. I truely hope that you get to "spar" like that from time to time.

Bill
    friendly exchanges are great when both parties truly understand that they are going light contact and as such, especially in regards to striking, the results are quite irrelevant.
    In any match up where striking is involved, hard contact ( if not full) must be done or it will have ZERO effect on the outcome UNLESS the person receiving the strikes is "honest" enough to react to them.
    Then again, it hard to react to "slaps" and we go back to the same problem.

Light contact is great for grappling, not so much for striking or MMA.