Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Assassin

The Assassin

Shu Qi? Chang Chen? I'm in.

Shu Qi, Chang Chen Join Hou Hsiao-hsien's Movie 'Assassin'

Cannes-winning director Hou Hsiao-hsien's new kung fu movie will be a US$12 million (€8.5 million) production about an ancient Tang dynasty woman who's adopted and trained by nuns as a political assassin, an investor in the film said Tuesday.

Taiwanese actress Shu Qi will play the female assassin, Huang Hsin-yi, a publicist at SinoMovie, one of the investors in the film "Assassin," told The Associated Press on Tuesday. Hou has also cast Taiwanese actor Chang Chen, who starred in the Oscar-winning "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," in an undetermined role and is considering approaching Japanese actor Tadanobu Asano, Huang said.
    Shu Qi Chang Chen

Shu Qi, Chang Chen (in black), and director Hou Hsiao-hsien at Cannes

Huang said it wasn't clear when and where the movie will start shooting. No other details about the film have been released.

The US$12 million budget makes "Assassin" a big production by Chinese standards and marks a departure from the art-house movies set in his native Taiwan that Hou's known for.

Besides Taiwan's SinoMovie, Huang said the Taiwan branch of Hollywood studio Fox is also investing in the movie and the Chinese news Web site Sina.com reported Tuesday that Hou is also raising funds at the ongoing Pusan International Film Festival in South Korea.

Hou's past productions have been explorations of Taiwanese culture. The director has shot movies about a local puppeteer ("The Puppetmaster"), southern Taiwan's gang culture ("Goodbye South, Goodbye") and government oppression ("City of Sadness").

"The Puppetmaster" won the jury prize at the Cannes Film Festival in 1993 and "City of Sadness" won the top Golden Lion prize at the Venice Film Festival in 1989.

Hou's most recent movie is the French-Taiwanese co-production "The Flight of the Red Balloon," starring Juliette Binoche. The movie is about a single mother who hires a Taiwanese student to take care of her son.

Hou and Shu are frequent collaborators, working together on "Millennium Mambo" and "Three Times," which won Shu best actress honors at Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards, the Chinese-language equivalent of Oscars, in 2005.

"Three Times," about three love affairs in three different eras, also co-stars Chang Chen.

Director: Hou Hsiao-hsien
    Genre: Kung fu
    Cast: Shu Qi, Chang Chen
    Chinese Title: 聂隐娘
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sounds like good **** to me

You're kidding me?

You don't have some inside scoop on this one, Doug? You always have some inside scoop. Whazzup?!

I don't think I've seen Hou's work before. I'm a big fan of Binoche so I'll keep my eye out for that one. Any picks for this?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gotta go to my sources. but hou is a pretty good director. it'll be cool if they had szeto kam yuen(exiled,spl,city with no mercy) write it(just thinking out loud.) the story sounds like this anime called hellsing and another old story about assisans trained by preist. if its done right then itll be good i'll find out more later.

Hmm when I saw Hou's name in the title along with Shu Qi and Chang Chen, I immediately thought "Hey wait a minute, I just watched a movie by Hou with those 2 in it!" It was the "Three Times" movie that's listed at the end of the article. I liked the 1st and 3rd part of the story, but the 2nd part, which was set in an ancient era, was a little annoying to sit through as there was no spoken dialogue -- the dialogue was all done in frames in between the camera shots on a black background similiar to old silent movies. I suppose it was creative/unique but it seemed too gimicky and was distracting for some reason. Still, it has shades of Wong Kar Wai (I suppose I compare all mellowdramas to him since he's my favorite director) -- all in all, the acting was rather subdued, especially in the 1st sequence and just didn't resonate with me like a good Wong Kar Wai film. So it was nice to see Shu and Chang on the screen together again, but the film didn't really win me over and I can't see ever watching it again. Still, I'm definitely willing to give Hou another chance and this one could be a winner. Definitely gonna want to see it.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

yea its weird when watching mellow drama's now i always think of WKW, lust caution made me think of him alot.

Speaking of Shu Qi

There's an extremely mediocre pic of Shu Qi if you follow the link. In respect to her, I felt obligated to add this.

Shu Qi, Diane Kruger to Join Berlinale Jury

Hollywood actress Diane Kruger, French star Sandrine Bonnaire, and Chinese actress Shu Qi will join the jury at the Berlin Film Festival next month, on a panel led by Greek-French director Costa-Gavras, organizers said Tuesday.

The jury, which will award the festival's Golden and Silver Bear top prizes, will also include Russian media executive Alexander Rodniansky and Oscar-winning cutter and sound designer Walter Murch.

Rounding out the list are Danish director Susanne Bier ("Things We Lost in the Fire") and German production designer Uli Hanisch, Berlinale director Dieter Kosslick told a news conference ahead of the February 7-17 event.

The German-born Kruger ("Troy") is currently appearing in "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" with Nicolas Cage. She starred as the wife of a South African prison guard in "Goodbye Bafana," which was in competition at the Berlinale last year.

Cesar award-winner Bonnaire has appeared in films by the biggest names in French cinema including Claude Chabrol, Jacques Rivette and Agnes Varda.

Shu Qi is a veteran of more than 50 Asian films including the 2002 international thriller "The Transporter" and Stanley Kwan's "Island Tales" in 2000.

Ukrainian-born Rodniansky is a major film and television producer as well as a documentary director in Russia and president of the Moscow media holding CTC.

Murch has worked closely with Hollywood director Francis Ford Coppola for 30 years on films including "Apocalypse Now" and "The Godfather."

A star of the dynamic Danish cinema scene, Bier got her start in Lars Von Trier's Dogma school of filmmaking and made a splash worldwide with her 2007 Oscar-nominated drama "After the Wedding."

Hanisch has picked up German and European accolades for the sets of "Perfume" and "Run Lola Run."

The festival announced in November that Costa-Gavras would serve as jury president. He made his international breakthrough in 1969 when he won two Oscars, including for best director, for the political thriller "Z."

He won the Golden Bear prize for best film at the Berlin festival in 1990 for "Music Box," starring Jessica Lange.

The Berlinale is ranked alongside Venice and just behind Cannes in the ranking of Europe's top film festivals.

It will kick off with the gala premiere of a Rolling Stones concert film by Martin Scorsese, "Shine A Light."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

rumours that it has run out of money

Hou's Assassin stops production (again)
    By Stephen Cremin
    Wed, 31 July 2013, 10:00 AM (HKT)

HOU Hsiao-hsien 侯孝賢 stopped production mid-shoot on his martial arts film The Assassin 聶隱娘 last week. The film, which was originally set to finish shooting in April, has been plagued with rumours that it has run out of money.

The film — which has locations in China, Taiwan and Japan — previously stopped on 24 Apr after shooting in studio locations in Taipei City. At the time, Taiwan's Next Magazine claimed that the budget had run out.

The film's cinematographer Mark LEE 李屏賓 told Mainland media, "There is some pressure in terms of the budget. However, the so-called production halt from before was due to the time it takes to change sets, not because we ran out of money."

The film most recently stoppage was one week ago, on 24 Jul. Lee told media that no date has been set for production to restart. The cinematographer had canceled work on several forthcoming films to concentrate on Hou's film to year-end.

Hou's company originally claimed that actor CHANG Chen 張震 had to leave Taiwan to work on Mainland costume drama 飛魚服繡春刀. The next day, Chang's publicist denied this, claiming it was Hou who made the decision to halt production.

The film's main actress, SHU Qi 舒淇, recently announced on social media platform Weibo that all her scenes have been shot, suggesting that the filming is now in its latter stages of production.

The film project — based on a short story of a female assassin during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 A.D.) who begins to questions her loyalties when she is commanded to kill the man she loves — has a long history.

It was first announced at script-stage 24-years-ago, when it was discussed in an interview with screenwriter CHU Tien-wen 朱天文 within the English-language press book produced for festival screenings of A City of Sadness 悲情城市 (1989).

The Taiwan government has announced a series of production subsidies for the film over the past decade, including NT$15 million (US$501,000) in 2005, NT$80 million in 2008 (US$2.67 million) and NT$20m (US$668,000) in 2010.

Hou filmed scenes with Japan's TSUMABUKI Satoshi 妻夫木聡 in 2010 before its main shoot began in China in Oct 2012. In Sep 2012, at the main press conference (pictured), the budget was announced as RMB90 million (US$14.7 million).
    Just show us Shu Qi's scenes. That might be enough.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, now I'm even more interested

A Shu Qi flick at Cannes. Worth it just to see what she wears....

Hou Hsiao-hsien's 'The Assassin' to compete at Cannes Film Festival
    2015/04/16 23:36:27

Cannes Film Festival director Thierry Fremaux and president Pierre Lescure

Paris, April 16 (CNA) Renowned Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-hsien (侯孝賢) will compete at the 68th annual Cannes Film Festival in France with his martial arts film"The Assassin"(聶隱娘), festival officials announced Thursday.

"The Assassin," a Tang Dynasty martial arts epic starring Taiwan's Shu Qi (舒淇) and Chang Chen (張震), is among the 17 films that will vie for the festival's highest prize, the Palme d'Or, according to the official selection lineup.

Cannes Film Festival director Thierry Fremaux and president Pierre Lescure unveiled the lineup at a press conference in Paris.

Chinese director Jia Zhangke's (賈樟柯)"Mountains May Depart"(山河故人) and Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Our Little Sister" are also among the 17 competition titles.

Hou, 68, is a prominent figure in Taiwan's "New Wave" cinema movement, which began during the 1980s. The movement is characterized by realistic and sympathetic portrayals of Taiwanese life, in stark contrast with the kung-fu action movies and melodramas of earlier decades.

Hou's film "A City of Sadness" won the Golden Lion at the 1989 Venice Film Festival, becoming the first Taiwanese film to be awarded the honor. "The Puppetmaster," featuring puppeteer Li Tian-lu, grabbed the Jury Prize at the 1993 Cannes Film Festival.

Hou is known for his long takes, minimal camera movements, and observant and realistic style of filmmaking.

The Cannes Film Festival will run from May 13-24.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I like the pics that show what she ISN'T wearing....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You always gotta go there, doncha s_r?

Here's the Shu Qi poster. She's fully clothed. In armor, no less.

Shu Qi’s The Assassin film poster released

Hou Hsiao-Hsien‘s 聂隐娘 The Assassin film poster featuring lead female cast Shu Qi was released. The filming wrapped back in January 2014. Post production has taken over a year now. This is one of my most anticipated films of 2015.

Plot summary: A female assassin during the Tang Dynasty who begins to question her loyalties when she falls in love with one of her targets.

The rest of the cast includes Chang Chen, Satoshi Tsumabuki, and Ethan Ruan. Supposedly it’s going to be similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with less CGI and special effects that have taken over the recent wuxia or period films. Apparently Shu Qi was one of Ang Lee’s first choices to play the role that eventually went to Zhang Ziyi in CTHD. Ever since learning about that tidbit, I’ve been wanting Shu Qi and Ang Lee to collaborate… maybe one day?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is going to be all about Shu Qi, isn't it?

I luv Shu Qi, but she tends to overwhelm the directors. Case and point: Stephan Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering Demons

Cannes First Look: Hou Hsiao-Hsien's Long-Awaited Martial Arts Epic 'The Assassin'
    By Ryan Lattanzio | TOH! April 28, 2015 at 4:20PM
    Hou Hsiao-Hsien turns to the "wuxia" genre of Chinese martial arts epics for his first film in nearly five years.

Hou Hsiao-Hsien's China-financed period epic "The Assassin" is finally ready after decades of stop-and-go development and production. His seventh Cannes Competition contender, "The Assassin" has been in the works since 2012 when the Taiwanese cinema figurehead, master of many a meditative long-take, began filming in Taiwan. A departure from his recent dramas including "La Belle Epoque," this martial arts epic shows Hou painting on a much bigger canvas -- and with a budget of around $15 million dollars.

Starring Shu Qi, Chang Chen and Satoshi Tsumabuki, "The Assassin" is set in 9th-century, Tang Dynasty China, where the 10-year-old daughter of a general is abducted by a nun who then transforms the girl into an ass-kicking, martial arts assassin tasked with wiping out corrupt governors. After failing an assignment, she is sent back to her homeland with orders to kill the cousin who now steers the largest military region in North China.

Hou, now 68, works with longtime collaborator and Wong Kar-wai cinematographer Mark Lee, and screenwriter Chu T'ien-wen. "The Assassin" will world-premiere in the Cannes Main Competition this May. (New images below via The Film Stage.)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nabbed by Well Go.

Cannes: Competition Entry 'The Assassin' Nabbed by Well Go for North America

'The Assassin'
    by Tatiana Siegel
    5/11/2015 10:02am PDT

Well Go USA Entertainment announced Monday that it had acquired all North American rights to Hou Hsiao-hsien's martial arts epic The Assassin, which is playing in competition at the Cannes Film Festival.

Starring Shu Qi (Millennium Mambo) and Chang Chen (Three Times), the film has been in the works for close to a decade. Stephen Shin, Wen-Ying Huang, Chen Yiqi and Stephen Lam produced the film, which was shot by Hou's longtime collaborator Mark Lee Ping-Bing.

The story is set in 9th century China. Nie Yinniang, the 10-year-old daughter of a decorated general, is abducted by a nun who trains her in the martial arts. She is transformed into an exceptional assassin (Shu), charged with eliminating cruel and corrupt government officials. After a failed mission, she returns to the land of her birth with orders to kill her betrothed husband-to-be (Chang), a cousin who now commands the largest military force in North China. After 13 years in exile, the young woman must confront her parents, her memories and her long-repressed feelings. A slave to the orders of her mistress, she must choose: sacrifice the man she loves or break forever with the sacred way of the righteous assassins.

"We have a proud history of supporting films from Taiwan, and Hou Hsiao-hsien is a legend," said Doris Pfardrescher, president and CEO of Well Go USA. "It's like someone made a wish list, and we got everything we could have hoped for: iconic director, stellar cast and this exciting, moving story."

The Assassin will make its world premiere at the festival on May 21.

The deal was negotiated by Pfardrescher and Wild Bunch's Carole Baraton.
    Well played, Doris.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can't wait to see this one!

Me too, PalmStriker

This one is getting a lot of good buzz...AT CANNES NO LESS!

Cannes Film Festival: Hou Hsiao-Hsien Takes a Detour Into Martial Arts
    By AMY QINMAY 12, 2015

A scene from Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s martial arts film “The Assassin,” which will have its premiere at Cannes. Credit Tsai Cheng-tai/SpotFilms Co. Ltd.

BEIJING — It has been eight years since the Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s last feature-length film, the elliptical “Flight of the Red Balloon” starring Juliette Binoche, opened the Un Certain Regard section at the Cannes International Film Festival.

During this time, the renowned arthouse director dedicated much of his energy to building up the independent cinema scene at home in Taiwan, serving as chairman of both the Taipei Film Festival and the executive committee of the Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival.

But Mr. Hou, 68, said there was another reason for his prolonged absence: He was recreating the Tang Dynasty.

In a Skype interview from Taipei last week, Mr. Hou spoke of the painstaking research efforts undertaken for his newest film, “The Assassin,” a Tang Dynasty-era martial arts epic set to premiere on May 21 at the 68th annual Cannes festival.

The film, which features the actress Shu Qi in the title role, is the director’s seventh film to compete for the Palme d’Or, the festival’s top prize. Previously, Mr. Hou took home the Jury Prize for his 1993 film “The Puppetmaster,” the second in his trilogy of films dealing with modern Taiwanese history.

Qi Shu plays the title role, a young girl who is kidnapped and trained to become a killer. Credit Tsai Cheng-tai/SpotFilms Co. Ltd.

Based on a popular legendary tale from the Tang Dynasty, “The Assassin” or “Nie Yinniang” in Chinese, takes place in the year 809 and tells the story of a young girl who is kidnapped by a nun and eventually trained to become a skilled assassin (Ms. Shu).

After failing a mission, she is sent by her master back to her hometown, 13 years after she was taken away, and is given a new target: the most powerful military governor in the North, a man who also happens to be both her cousin and her childhood love (played by Chang Chen).

The film represents the first foray into the traditional martial arts genre for Mr. Hou, who first rose to prominence in the 1980s as a key figure in the New Taiwan Cinema movement. He is best known for his layered meditations on Taiwanese identity within the context of the island’s turbulent 20th-century history.

“I’ve always had a dream to make this story into a film. I first came across the Tang Dynasty legendary tales when I was in university studying film and before that I had read many wuxia stories when I was a child,” Mr. Hou said, referring to China’s rich tradition of martial arts stories. “But I could never make the film because it required such a large amount of financing.”

Now, a string of internationally acclaimed films later, Mr. Hou has less difficulty finding investors. With a budget of around $14 million, “The Assassin” is the director’s biggest production to date. Costs were split between Sil-Metropole Organization, a Hong Kong production company, and Mr. Hou’s film studio, 3H Productions.

In taking on a wuxia film, Mr. Hou is joining a growing number of commercial and arthouse directors from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Prominent examples from recent years include Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” (2000), Zhang Yimou’s “Hero” (2002), and Wong Kar-Wai’s “The Grandmaster” (2013). Even Jia Zhangke, China’s top independent film director, is said to be preparing a big-budget martial arts film. (In the meantime, Mr. Jia’s latest film “Mountains May Depart,” his first to be filmed partly outside of China (in Australia), will be competing alongside “The Assassin” at this year’s festival.)

Still, Mr. Hou’s decision to make a martial arts film has aroused interest among followers of his work, many of whom are wondering whether he has abandoned his signature contemplative style for high-intensity subject matter.

“It’s hard to imagine a director with Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s particular style — distant camera, slow takes and long takes — doing a wuxia film, which is very fast-cutting,” said Shelly Kraicer, a film critic in Toronto who is a scholar of Chinese cinema. “It has to be a different procedure for him, so it’ll be fascinating to see a director of his stature approach this experiment.”

Chang Chen plays the protagonist's intended target, a military governor who also happens to be both her cousin and her childhood love. Credit Tsai Cheng-tai/SpotFilms Co. Ltd.

Mr. Hou, who began working on the screenplay in 2012, said that it would be different from other directors’ wuxia films and that he had remained true to his long-established approach.

“I rarely do costume pictures,” he said. “The Tang Dynasty element will be very new but I think people will see that my filming process is the same. It’s still long takes and a static camera. The actors have just changed their clothes and altered their accents a little.”

He added that he made minimal use of computer-generated effects. “I didn’t want the actors to be flying here or there,” he said, referring to the acrobatic feats in wuxia films like “Crouching Tiger.” “There’s essentially no flying.”

Hwarng Wern-Ying, the film’s production and costume designer and a veteran member of Mr. Hou’s creative team, said this time around Mr. Hou seemed even more meticulous in his attention to detail than she had seen in the past.

“He might film only one scene in one day, and then he would film that scene five or six times in one week,” she said. “Then a few months later he’d ask us to go back and film that same scene again but I had already dismantled the set.”

Mr. Hou said that he endeavored to make the film as realistic as possible, a culmination, he said, of several years of scrupulous research into historical accounts of the Tang Dynasty, which ruled China from 618 to 906. It is often referred to as the “golden age” of Chinese civilization, a time when trade and culture flourished and Chang’an, the cosmopolitan dynastic capital, was the largest city in the world.

“Everyone has a different understanding of what the Tang Dynasty was like and I think this film will be a very pure representation of Hou’s vision of that time,” Ms. Hwarng said.

In the film, the actors speak classical Chinese, a decision Mr. Hou said he made to enhance the period feel. The language also turned out to be the “biggest challenge” during the filmmaking process, said the director, since classical Chinese was mostly used for literary texts and almost never spoken. The final version includes Chinese subtitles.

Admirers of Mr. Hou’s work may be pleased to know that the director does not plan to wait another eight years to make his next film.

“There are so many movies I want to make,” he said. “Even just in terms of Taiwan’s history the possibilities are endless.” He added that he was already in talks to make a film about the Taiwanese Communist Party under Japanese and later Kuomintang rule.

A version of this special report appears in print on May 13, 2015, in The International New York Times.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips