Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tai Zu Mantis style

Tai Zu Mantis style

Can anyone supply info about this branch of N Mantis - Tai Zu Tang Lang (Great Ancestor Mantis)?

Who was founder, where is it from? Lineage info, etc.

Does either of these sets look familiar to anyone, especially the second one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNO2zOok9pM
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Smile

Non of the core Mantis forms - Bengbu, Luanjie, Bazhou, and Zhaiyao (1-7) that I am aware of plays or runs like headless chicken dances such as those in the clips which are more modern Wushu rendition than anything else IMHO. So I would say there's nothing mantis in those forms. Sorry to disappoint you.

BTW, the clips said Tai Zu Chang Quan. I have seem some Southern Taizu that has that awkard sweep move that repeated so many times. Other than then, I know nothing much about Tai Zu.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Non of the core Mantis forms - Bengbu, Luanjie, Bazhou, and Zhaiyao (1-7) that I am aware of plays or runs like headless chicken dances such as those in the clips which are more modern Wushu rendition than anything else IMHO. So I would say there's nothing mantis in those forms. Sorry to disappoint you.

BTW, the clips said Tai Zu Chang Quan. I have seem some Southern Taizu that has that awkard sweep move that repeated so many times. Other than then, I know nothing much about Tai Zu.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    hehe, I know the quality isn't good, but the second section was with mantis hands mostly (maybe image too small to see well?). I will post another person doing the same sets that you can see better.

Well, regardless of this form, I have heard of Tai Zu Mantis style from Shandong I think, can anyone let me know about this style if they have information?

Is that a Tai Tzu system with a few mantis forms, or a Mantis system with a few tai tzu forms?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Is that a Tai Tzu system with a few mantis forms, or a Mantis system with a few tai tzu forms?
    There is a mantis style where the founder was a TZ Quan person and then learned N Mantis (7 Star) and merged them together, since TZ is the number one root of the 18 masters.

Beyond pre-division Tanglang there is really only Qixing, Meihua (includingTaiji- both branches,TJMH, Mimen), Liuhe, and a few schools which are minor variations of the main three such as Guangban, Babu, Yuanyang. Pretty much anything outside of that is a modern composite.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Beyond pre-division Tanglang there is really only Qixing, Meihua (includingTaiji- both branches,TJMH, Mimen), Liuhe, and a few schools which are minor variations of the main three such as Guangban, Babu, Yuanyang. Pretty much anything outside of that is a modern composite.

BT
    I know that, thanks.

I am looking for info on this particular style of mantis.

Anhui province has Shaolin Mantis style, which combined 7 star and local shaolin.

I'm looking for info on where and when and who Tai Tzu Mantis is from, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    I know that, thanks.

I am looking for info on this particular style of mantis.

Anhui province has Shaolin Mantis style, which combined 7 star and local shaolin.

I'm looking for info on where and when and who Tai Tzu Mantis is from, thanks.
    I know you knew that. Some people don't though and therefore won't know this style is bogus. Which Anhui Shaolin Tanglang are you referring to? Authentic Tanglang in Anhui and Henan comes via Qingdao as recently as the early 80's.

I know you knew that. Some people don't though and therefore won't know this style is bogus. Which Anhui Shaolin Tanglang are you referring to? Authentic Tanglang in Anhui and Henan comes via Qingdao as recently as the early 80's.
    and very little of what is there now resembles what it was then.

I myself am interested in the origne of those forms you linked to more than anything.

Are they a recent thing? or ancient? and more importantly, WHAT are they?

Why do you say this style is bogus?
    It's not, it's from a legit lineage, I had read an article in a Chinese martial art magazine about it years ago, and I am interested in finding out about it's history.

It is from 1900s, not that modern.

Shantong province also has Di Tang Mantis style, which I am interested in hearing about as well.

There is also Tong Bei Mantis out there as well.

There is Hua Lin Mantis in Shantung too.

I am interested in gathering info on the more obscure styles of Mantis.

Just because you never heard of something doesn't make it bogus, strange that you would say that about something with no info to back that up.

Shaolin Mantis system:
    It is found spread in the area of Suxian, Hefei and Fengzhao of Anhui, Nanjing, Xuzhou, and Huaiyin of Jiangsu.
    One of the people that developed it was Bo Jian Ming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Does either of these sets look familiar to anyone, especially the second one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNO2zOok9pM
    I am looking into the origin of these two sets.
    They have the opening and ending salutes of Shantong Long Fist Mantis, like Xiao Hu Yan, and so on, like Shantong Tai Zu Quan does, of Yang Jing Ming's lineage.

The first set looks remarkably like Xiao Fan Che set of Northern Mantis.
    Compare the first set in that link to the Fan Che set from Mantis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFb9Pyole6Y (this one has that same Shantong salute, as also seen in the Shaolin TZ Chang Quan sets in the above link)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJ9HEdonms

The TZ Chang Quan set 1 follows the Mantis Xiao Fan Che set very closely, most of the movements are in the same sequence even.

Set 2 is like this mantis form a lot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GJc8R1DN8s
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Something I've never heard of is Shantong mantis.

There is no Hualin Tanglang in Shandong. Guaranteed. Ditang Tanglang is a new creation too (real ditang of TLQ comes in 7 Zhaiyao of TJTL). Maybe go to Shandong and have a first hand look instead of reading articles, the majority of which in Chinese publications and websites are complete garbage. You can find, Beggar, Bagua, Xingyi and about 20 other combinations of Tanglang that have popped up in the last couple of decades (and have retrospectively backdated their origins).

Nothing personal, just a counter view.

BT

Something I've never heard of is Shantong mantis.

There is no Hualin Tanglang in Shandong. Guaranteed. Ditang Tanglang is a new creation too (real ditang of TLQ comes in 7 Zhaiyao of TJTL). Maybe go to Shandong and have a first hand look instead of reading articles, the majority of which in Chinese publications and websites are complete garbage. You can find, Beggar, Bagua, Xingyi and about 20 other combinations of Tanglang that have popped up in the last couple of decades (and have retrospectively backdated their origins).

Nothing personal, just a counter view.

BT
    having said that, there is of course nothing wrong with researching these obscure variations and i will be very interested to read outcomes.