Thread: Breaking Down Your Understanding Of J.K.D.

RAYNYSC Guest

Breaking Down Your Understanding Of J.K.D.

I just thought that this would be a good time as any for those of you who are willing to take the time out to reply to this topic. To break down your understanding of how you see J.K.D. to be & not just the way your teacher see's it to be!

After all J.K.D. is meant to fit one & not force one to fit it...

Now if I'm wrong in thinking or seeing J.K.D. in this way...

All I ask is for anyone who will take the time reply to this topic is. Let me know why I'm wrong in your eye's... As well as letting me know why you may agree with me!!!!!

PEACE

------------------
    RAYNYSC

[This message has been edited by RAYNYSC (edited 04-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RAYNYSC (edited 04-17-2000).]

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Agreed. Spoken like a TRUE martial artist that post was.

The best teachers of ANY ART help and encourage their students to find their OWN paths.

Sooner or later (better sooner than later, in my opinion), students of any art have to scrap preconceived notions of what things are "supposed to be" and start asking themselves what things "can possibly be".

RAYNYSC Guest
    Good point there I mean after all,all one has to do is see it for what's it worth.
    A good example of this is the one that BRUCE LEE himself made with the help of DAN INOSANTO which was ?

After the basics can be understood & applied. It's up to the individual to take it to the next level.

It seem's to me thats what BRUCE LEE wanted from his student's as well as what he wanted from his student's, students.

As BRUCE LEES end was not & should not be the same as DAN INOSANTOS end...

Hence your teachers end should not be your end after the basics are taught & understood.....

What do you think?......

PEACE

------------------
    RAYNYSC

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Some great master of yore said that the student should always be superior to the teacher - otherwise the teacher didn't teach the student properly.

Ian Brewster Guest
    As I was taught JKD by instructor Pete and Paul Vunak and Makoto Kabayama...

We have to start somewhere and initially it is "imitating your instructor" to some degree...

Initially you are just learning basic concpets and tecnhiques and rills and hardwiring your muscles to get used to certain movements they may not be accustomed to...

WHen you begin to understand what you doing you gradually break off and you start doing "your" JKD not "your instructors" JKD...

Many Sports figures that we consider great have heroes they looked up to and imitated...but as they got to know their own bodies they began to find ways to do their own thing....

I have the fortune of meeting with many of Dan Inosnato's instructors does Paul Vunak move like Burton Richardson, or Ted Lucay Lucay or Steve Grody...they all have taken JKD and took it in a unique direction...

Hope that makes sense

As my instructor once said before a baby comes to term and in it's formation sequence all babies and embryos look the same but soon nature takes it's coarse and when a baby is born and grows to adult hood it is unlike any human that came before it....

Ian Brewster