Thread: MMA Noob questions on classes

MMA Noob questions on classes

Hi

I tried my first mma class this week and got to say I was dissapointed

The instructors were late
    There were only 3 of us, all beginnners, we were asked if we had any ground experience we all said no, not asked for names or possible injuries etc
    Started off with warm up (ok)
    Asked to perform back break falls, demo'd once then told to do, I fluffed it and kept landing on my shoulder, no constructive help
    moved on to clinch and takedown with a leg trip, again falling wrong and landing on shoulder, no help given, just "stop fighting the takedown"
    moved on to mount and sleeper hold, guys referred to as "bloke on bottom" instead of asking names
    When asked to do this I replied I had hip flexibility issues and could not work the mount, so I was ignored, thats when I left

Is this what I should expect from these classes ? I got the distinct feeling if they thought you weren't a prospect then you were of no interest

Thanks for any thoughts

My experience has always been the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianUK View Post
    Hi

There were only 3 of us, all beginnners, we were asked if we had any ground experience we all said no, not asked for names or possible injuries etc
    Asked to perform back break falls, demo'd once then told to do, I fluffed it and kept landing on my shoulder, no constructive help
    moved on to clinch and takedown with a leg trip, again falling wrong and landing on shoulder, no help given, just "stop fighting the takedown"
    moved on to mount and sleeper hold, guys referred to as "bloke on bottom" instead of asking names
    When asked to do this I replied I had hip flexibility issues and could not work the mount, so I was ignored, thats when I left

Is this what I should expect from these classes ? I got the distinct feeling if they thought you weren't a prospect then you were of no interest

Thanks for any thoughts
    What was the name of the place/gym ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

most of the mma ppl i have met have been really cool with giving very clear instruction and helpful advice. they say they dont want to see you get hurt and that if they make you better they will get better bc they will have to work harder to beat you. i think you jsut found the wrong school. try some place else.

Sounds like it's just a bad place. If they can't teach, it's usually a bad sign
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianUK View Post
    Hi

Thanks for any thoughts
    yah some places are like that. I won't name names but at BIG BJJ gym in NYC I had a similar experience. I Just wasn't impressed with the quality or the level of interest in the people who gave me the free class. I have said it many times BJJ/mma isn't immune from the MCdojo illness. you just have to keep looking for teachers you think are worth your money, and a group of people who are fun to train with. Thats what I did. You would be surprised some of the guys nobody knows can be really good, or even amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What was the name of the place/gym ?
    The fight factory in Purley, maybe it was just a bad night or something but it felt more like they just had no idea how to instruct, guess I keep looking

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This one ?

Yeah that one (see above) though the class is taught by a couple of guys from Cage Rage contenders series

go to zt fight skool in brighton

I would think on ZT but its 30 miles away from me