View Poll Results: Do you believe in intuition ?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 100.00%
  • no

0 0%

Thread: The power of intuition in self defense (?)

The power of intuition in self defense (?)

Let me share an instance of intuition in my life...

This happened 15 years ago, and it still raises goose bumps when I think about it. I'll make it short... when I was 17 I came home from school one day and was home alone, as usual. I sat down at our bar to have a bowl of cereal, and suddenly got a strange feeling ... I can't explain it other than to say I felt like I should "get out" . I tried to ignore it, but the feeling got intense so I got up and went to the front door. Standing there, I thought what the hell are you doing man...your 17 and standing at the front door trying to decide to go or stay because you're "spooked" . At that moment a 12 foot mirror that had been hanging on the wall directly behind the barstool I had just been sitting in fell, for no apparent reason and smashed into that very barstool, into hundreds of razor sharp shards. I ran like a little girl to my friends house until my parents got home. lol Even though I was grounded for "breaking" the mirror, and nobody believed me... to this day I try to listen to those "feelings" that tell me somethings not right. And I have walked away from many situations that may have ( or may have not ) proved to be a dangerous situation, as far as self defense is concerned.

Perhaps this is way off topic, but I thought I'd just see what other ppl think about following their feelings about situations they find themselves in...or could find themselves in. In my mind this is a subtle side to "situational awareness".

Anyway...any thoughts are welcome.

Blog Entries
    nah its not way off....

in fact we all have the 6th sense......but most choose to ignore it.

i for one, don't. I guarantee that when you start listening to that voice, you will have way more experiences like that.

i have sooooo many like those, but ill share one only.

i was in a parking structure and was driving on expired tags. my girl and i was talking when all of a sudden i had the urge to move my car and park it with the front end sticking out. my girl asked why, and i said i didn't know. just then a cop rolled around the corner and would have easily spotted my tagless vehicle.

i listened, and avoided a ticket.

anyways, listening to that voice can in face have a part to play in your martial art training.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    nah its not way off....

in fact we all have the 6th sense......but most choose to ignore it.

i for one, don't. I guarantee that when you start listening to that voice, you will have way more experiences like that.

i have sooooo many like those, but ill share one only.

i was in a parking structure and was driving on expired tags. my girl and i was talking when all of a sudden i had the urge to move my car and park it with the front end sticking out. my girl asked why, and i said i didn't know. just then a cop rolled around the corner and would have easily spotted my tagless vehicle.

i listened, and avoided a ticket.

anyways, listening to that voice can in face have a part to play in your martial art training.

Some people call it the third eye.
    Like you said, some people choose to ignore it.
    Last edited by banditshaw; 10-14-2007 at 10:51 AM.

I think the great masters are much more familiar with "intuition" and for them it is much more common place. Some sensitivity and level of awareness to the world that we haven't reached yet. I credit it to meditation and stillness practice.

I've heard some interesting things from people I know. At least one where something was going to fall on someone.

There's an interesting true story of a tracker who in the dark of night survived a tiger attack because for some reason he diverted his path, which he found out the next day. He was wondering how he had gotten mud on his shoes, so he went and looked and saw that his tracks had taken a detour. Instead of staying on the road they went all the way around some kind of culvert. This he thought that was awfully strange. Then he looked on the other side, and saw the tracks of a tiger in the pouncing position. The tiger had been stalking the men he was trying to catch up with. It then set itself up to pounce. If he had gone on the road, it would have gotten him. Which lead to the question, how often does our body divert us away from danger without us knowing it?
    DojoGoods.com - Traditional martial arts supply shop, tailor-fit clothing and fine swords.

Blog Entries
    the most important thing is to listen to whats being told to you.......typically we just shrug things off, but boy i got some stories about intuiting for you.....

for example, i was home alone. forgot to iron my clothes aos after my shower i went into the garage butt booty naked and was ironing my clothes when all of a sudden im being shown the garage door open and my fat white arse open for business to the whole darn world to see.

I listened to the voice that told me to get my arse inside right now. so when the door closed behind me, the garage door opened up. i ran to the bathroom and was laughing hysterically when my younger brother asked me why i was laughing. I told him our mother must have been looking out cause i was in the garage naked.

In fact, when i was homeless i used intuition to keep me from being arrested when i had to steal candy just to get something to eat. i listened, and never got caught. if i had butterflies in my belly i didn't do a thing.

Intuition can help, only if it leads to a proactive decision. If you see someone standing in a parking lot alone near your car and get a negative feeling, I would try my best to avoid going into that parking lot alone (if at all possible). Sometimes a person/group will attack from behind and intuition will not be able to prevent that. Nothing is 100%
    Bless you

Blog Entries
    actually, intuition should help you as well as sensitivity in case someone gets you from behind. IMO you should always be aware.......at all times......but i guess im like that because i've been shot at, and almost jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    actually, intuition should help you as well as sensitivity in case someone gets you from behind. IMO you should always be aware.......at all times......but i guess im like that because i've been shot at, and almost jumped.
    I've never been shot out. But I had my share of being jumped. The few people who pulled a gun on me were to close to have missed so I would seem I didn't have to worry about being shot "at". Long story short, one time I was able to talk myself out of it.

Now for the second time.

I was walking to the corner store in a somewhat bad neighborhood (my intention kept telling me not to go but I ignore it.) I was around 16. A gang of bloods, about five in total, saw me from across the street and by the time I noticed them it was a little to late. They crossed and surrounded me and started asking me questions about where I was going. I saw a small opening in the group and kept walking froward while answering their questions. At this point running wasn't an option yet and it hadn't yet became dangerous. Then one of the guys walked in front of me and pushed me back. Then without a good reason he decided to punch me one good time in the face. I pretended to fall even though the punch was awfully weak. I could sense that other people in the group however weren't quite as weak so taking them on could have turned out really bad. So I kept walking as if I was never even hit.

They needed a reason to kill me. I was staying close to a somewhat busy road and I was just not provided them the chance that they needed. I kept hoping a police car would come by, but it never did. One of the guys behind me pulled out a knife. Using body language he tells me to take the knife and get my revenge on the person who hit me. Stab him the back was the message. The second I took that knife he would have alerted everyone that I had a knife and they would have gained a reason to kill me. I turned it down and laughed as I headed to the store. Still not showing any signs of fear.

I finally arrived at the store. 4 people from the gang had followed me in and as if my luck couldn't get any worse, the guy with the gun stayed outside by the entrance to the store. He was clearly running out of patience. Around the store was a pretty dark alley to escape in were he to shoot me on my way out.

I grabbed a few items in the store and laid them on the counter along with my money. One of the guys took the money I had given to the store clerk. The store clerk took a look at me and a look at the guys that I was with and he quickly got the sense that we weren't friends. I just stood in that spot of the store for about 15 minutes. I figured I would have to get some sort of luck.

A lady came into the store and looked at the group, then looked at me. And then looked back toward the entrance at my soon to be killer. She reached into her purse and pulled out a small stack of one dollar bills and started to pass out money to the gang. It took a minute but finally the guy posted outside came in and took one of dollars.

I made my way out of the store without drawing attention to myself. A older guy was standing outside the store. He grabbed me when I left and told me the guy who just went inside is going to kill me so I had better run and he would try to buy me a little time. I finally got my chance to escape and didn't waste anytime taking it.

Really long story I know. But I just hope it help others in someway when faced in a similar situation. When I think back on it now I don't think I could have handle that situation any better than what I have done. Even so, I'm always open to suggestions.

To stay on topic. If I would have just followed my feelings from the very start none of that would have took place.