Thread: The Best Kung Fu Style for me

The Best Kung Fu Style for me

I stopped training in Wing Chun after i left my master in Maryland after i moved here to PA. I know alot of styles arent suited to me, as they require perfect physical form and abilities. What kung fu styles don't require alot of jumping, as i am on the heavier side ( 200lbs, 5'11 ) and would start out slow, conditioning me to the shape that i need to be in to perform?

First of all find out what schools are in your area, then compare. What part of PA are you in? If it's a city you'll probably have better choices.
    Bless you

York, PA. bout 14 miles from the maryland line. an hour from baltimore. Most of the schools around here are Kim's karate, TKD, Or a variation of mixed martial arts bull. theres a M.A.C.E. studio down the street from me. it stands for Martial Arts with a Combat Emphasis
    Last edited by -disciple-; 10-15-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Visit the schools and see what you like. Why do you say MMA bull? Have you tried mma? Evaluate whats at hand and see what fits you best, keep an open mind.

edit: The mma school may have bjj/grappling which is a highly technical thing, a great workout, and a chance to train against live resisting opponents. I know striking is not for everyone, but grappling is very fun and great exercise/experience. Don't let popular perceptions of an art taint your perspective prior to trying.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 10-15-2007 at 08:24 AM.
    Bless you

http://mace-mixedmartialarts.com/home

what do you think? he makes alot of claims on that website

My brother went to one of the studios down the street. He claimed what he was learning was karate, and that's what they called it there. but it was definately not karate. karate is a japanese art, yet what my little brother was attempting to learn was using chinese and korean names for the diffrent forms and techniques. ( he later stopped going ) in the area i live in, there are alot of TKD and Karate schools, but they seem kind of....limited or inept....like a grammar school that proclaims in it's brochure " We aim too please yall"

Lol.....the Kim's karate teaches Tae Kwan Do for god's sake...

that site does make it look pretty crappy. last i checked tkd alone is not mma?
    Bless you

Here is a list of judo clubs in PA. I don't know if any are near York?
    Bless you

nope, none of them are near york. And, im just wondering, but isnt Judo a point based sport? i meen, not even really a fighting system, so to speak?

your in steeler's country, and isnt that Pennsylovania?

Quote Originally Posted by -disciple- View Post
    nope, none of them are near york. And, im just wondering, but isnt Judo a point based sport? i meen, not even really a fighting system, so to speak?

In judo you can win by a well executed throw, a pin, or a submission. It improves grappling to a certain degree, but the rules do not allow as much time on the ground as bjj so often times a judo club will spend more time on stand up (throws) than groundfighting. It is a sport where a score is given for a throw, the highest score (ippon) is awarded for a hard, well executed throw where the person throwing is in control and the person being thrown land on their back. Judo develops grappling skills similar to wrestling or bjj, the difference from wrestling being the use of a gi (but you live in PA, people wear jackets )

edit: I am in Pittsburgh (steelers' country) way over here in the western side of the state. If you're rooting for the Eagles or Ravens, hate to inform you, but, they are going to lose! Go Steelers!
    Bless you

Rofl. I am rooting for both the eagles and the ravens. I know the ravens arnt going very far, but GOOO EAGLES. God, i hate the steelers with a passion

what martial arts do you train in?

this is gonna be my last post for the day, as lunch is over and im getting off the computer. Thankyou for your input and help
    Last edited by -disciple-; 10-15-2007 at 09:00 AM.

i train in judo and bjj, but have dabbled in a lot of stuff
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by -disciple- View Post

http://mace-mixedmartialarts.com/home

what do you think? he makes alot of claims on that website
    Dear lord, did the person who designed that web site even graduate grade school? "weather" as opposed to "whether" and "individule" as opposed to "individual"... and that's in the first two sentences of the main page

Also, seems all they talk about is TKD....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Dear lord, did the person who designed that web site even graduate grade school? "weather" as opposed to "whether" and "individule" as opposed to "individual"... and that's in the first two sentences of the main page

Also, seems all they talk about is TKD....

I think by "full contact kickboxing" they mean tkd point sparring.
    Bless you

Thumbs up

Oh, and you're in York, home of York barbells, start picking em up with plates on
    Bless you

lol i know, the more i look at that site, the worse and worse it looks. the spelling, the content, it's all hilarious