Thread: Interview with legendary actor (and also kickboxer) Billy Chow

Interview with legendary actor (and also kickboxer) Billy Chow

part 1- http://youtube.com/watch?v=pqUrVzsfEko
    part 2- http://youtube.com/watch?v=ABR8o9Ja6C8
    part 3- http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnozIxFKLVY
    part 4- http://youtube.com/watch?v=B5LPbKRmTz4

The interview starts out showing a kickboxing match with Billy Chow (against some weak guy) and there are interviews with Ken Lo, Chin Kar Lok, Chin Siu Hou, Timmy Hung, and Chow's Sifu Frank Lee. After Chow kicks some ass he is interviewed. He talks about Fatty, Jackie, Yuen Biao, Woo Ping... all kinds of good stuff. AWESOME interview. He is so calm. What a cool guy. And I can't believe how young he looks. He is 48 years old in this interview, no joke. And I think this is the only interview Chow has ever done. Enjoy.
    Last edited by jethro; 10-15-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: To point out Chow is 48 years old in this interview. Unbelievable
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

pretty cool interview.

he seems like a really chill guy
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Good find! Thanks for sharing that. New level of respect and admiration of the guy.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Yeah he seems very relaxed. I didn't think I could have had anymore respect for him, but I agree yutyeesam, I do have even more respect for him now. I love that part of the interview where he says that he was really worried about hitting the actors, but he didn't care if people hit him. In an interview with Gordon Chan talking about Fist of Legend he said that Chow had internal bleeding in his feet, but Chow didn't tell anybody and had to be forced to go to the hospital. And usually actors always talk about how tiring it is to make movies for Sammo and Jackie because they have to do so many takes, but all that Chow says is "it was a good experience". Billy Chow is the man!

This interview is from the Hong Kong Legends DVD of Dragons Forever. When I heard that Chow had actually done an interview I begged and begged this guy on youtube to post it if he had that DVD. he must have gotten tired of my begging so he posted it
    Last edited by jethro; 10-16-2007 at 12:07 AM.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Blog Entries
    That's awesome, Jethro - just goes to show, your persistance paid off! It makes me think how many other awesome interviews with HK cinema legends are out there not yet exposed...

I haven't searched, and I will, but I'd like to see an interview with Yuen Wah.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

There are so many guys I would love to see an interview from. HWang Jang Lee, Chang Shan, ALexander Lou Rei, Johnny Wang Lung Wei, my list would be like 100 names long.

He said he is posting a Benny Urquidez interview soon, and I asked him if he has an interview with Yuen Wah. We will see.

Dang, I'll have to wait 'til Sunday to try to watch this. My home computer lacks the capacity to access youtube.
    I always liked Billy Chow. He was a real fighter who could look good in the movies (the two don't always go together). I remember him briefly in the 1980s as a World Karate Association kickboxer and his fight with Bob "Thunder" Thurman, a name fighter at that time.
    It sounds like he's a great person. It's great when you hear or even talk to guys who are great fighters who are very down-to-earth and have confidence without the oversized egos.

Yeah Jimbo, Chow comes off like the nicest guy in the world. This is a dream interview. Billy Chow was already kind of my hero, but now its official.

I got a chance to see a couple parts of this interview, and it was interesting. It would be interesting to see his farewell fight if/when it happens/happened. Very good insights.

On a side note, today I also watched about 3 parts of the Mark Ho (Houghton) interview, and I like this guy a lot. What he has to say about kung fu is spot on. I wish I could get some of these youtube video interviews permanently on DVD.