Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: shaolin monk in chicago? question for gene

I'm not sure. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Just wondering cause I heard the CCBA got a new president so things might be different this year.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    So from what I am get from reading all these posts about these so called monks doing more wu shu than traditional Shaolin is that they have no fighting ability. Why is that? Because they do wu shu or because they have not had much training in fighting? If you say because they do wu shu you might want to take a closer look at what they are doing and rethink a little bit. Yes, wu shu is a lot of acrobatical stuff but wu shu is kung fu to the extreme. All this means is that each move is exaggerated meaning that your stances are lower, your kicks are faster and more snap in them, your hand strikes are faster and more snap in them, and of course you have to throw in the acrobatics. It's kung fu with a flash. The forms they do have actual application to them when you take the flips, arials, and butterfly twists out of them. Go to youtube and watch carefully any wu shu form and you will see actual traditional kung fu techniques in them when you over look the acrobatic "fluff".

To many "shaolin" exponents are to attached to the idea of "orginal forms" and "preserving" them. Very un-buddhist thinking

Also I thought the idea of Shaolin Kung fu was the same as chan (or zen) meditation. that being the case fighting is secondary anyway, right?

Again I am not saying they can't fight.

These monks specifically do more traditional stuff with a couple more wushu-ish forms that aren't even that flashy...

I agree that all the different types can be applied... and people need to respect that they all take hard work, long training hours, etc...

Thanks for the post!

Traditional vs. wushu doesn't really matter.

Most of the negative comments about shaolin monks come from people who precieve them as some kind of threat.

Wutangforever- Saw your sifu at a chinese resturaunt grand opening northwest of chinatown on new years. They did a martial arts demo and buddhist ceromoney for the resturaunt. It was impressive especiallt since it was fifteen degrees out and he was doing filps on wet icy/slushy ground with nothing but one of those "half robes" on. BBbbbbbrrrrrrr

I did my demo with a coat, hat and layers of cloths on and was still numb from the cold. Chicago winters suck.

Awesome! I heard he went to some "party" or something, and that must have been it.

Cheers,

Ben

Update

Figured I would post an update. I've really enjoyed learning there, and the other students seem to love it as well. They're having trouble recruiting more students, but their business/advertising tactics aren't the best ;-)

Anyways, I've now learned Luin Huin Quan, two forms of Lohan Quan, Xiao Hong Quan, Lohan Gun, Tamo Jian, Ba Duan Jin, some Yi Jin Jing, and half of Quay Ding Quan (no idea if the spelling is right, something like national standard form.) I started doing some Qin Na but they practically rip my arm off when they demo the next manuever we'll be doing.

I'm in much better shape and am a lot more flexible than when I started here last summer. The sifu and his disciple have learned a little bit more english but having fellow students that speak both mandarin and english really helps me.

I don't know if Yan Ju was actually a diciple of the abbot as he seems to be about his same age. I think they're going to try to bring over some more monks this summer to both help teach and do some demonstrations. If I get any notice of this I'll post it here.

We did a performance the other day in Chinatown and the younger monk/disciple did an awesome drunken sword form along with a lot of acrobatics and some breaking sticks demonstrations.

Shaolindynasty said he saw some perfromances and was impressed what he saw. I met up with Oasis and Lamassu and they respect what I've been learning. I think my progress is also quite past a typical beginner with only 6 months of experience...maybe it is because we don't have a lot of students so I can practice a lot?

Thanks for reading!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    Figured I would post an update. I've really enjoyed learning there, and the other students seem to love it as well. They're having trouble recruiting more students, but their business/advertising tactics aren't the best ;-)

Anyways, I've now learned Luin Huin Quan, two forms of Lohan Quan, Xiao Hong Quan, Lohan Gun, Tamo Jian, Ba Duan Jin, some Yi Jin Jing, and half of Quay Ding Quan (no idea if the spelling is right, something like national standard form.) I started doing some Qin Na but they practically rip my arm off when they demo the next manuever we'll be doing.

I'm in much better shape and am a lot more flexible than when I started here last summer. The sifu and his disciple have learned a little bit more english but having fellow students that speak both mandarin and english really helps me.

I don't know if Yan Ju was actually a diciple of the abbot as he seems to be about his same age. I think they're going to try to bring over some more monks this summer to both help teach and do some demonstrations. If I get any notice of this I'll post it here.

We did a performance the other day in Chinatown and the younger monk/disciple did an awesome drunken sword form along with a lot of acrobatics and some breaking sticks demonstrations.

Shaolindynasty said he saw some perfromances and was impressed what he saw. I met up with Oasis and Lamassu and they respect what I've been learning. I think my progress is also quite past a typical beginner with only 6 months of experience...maybe it is because we don't have a lot of students so I can practice a lot?

Thanks for reading!

Ben

Thought I would correct your spelling. It's Lian Huan Quan and Guay Ding Quan. The rest was right on. Impressive for only 6 months. Most of our students only learn one or two forms within that time frame. Say hello to Lamassu for me, we were Shaolin-Do brothers before I defected to the Shaolin Temple.

sha0lin1-

thought i would correct your spelling. its guidingquan.

wutangforever-

the website says he is one of the top 10 disciples of shi yongxin. and age has nothing to do with being someone's disciple. its just about transmission.

Thanks for the spelling corrections! And yes, I forgot their material does specify that he was a disciple of yongxin.

Ben
    Last edited by wutangforever; 03-01-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    sha0lin1-

thought i would correct your spelling. its guidingquan.
    lol ya...i thought it was GUI ding too.....i was gonan correct it..but u got to it first
    woot woot

that sure is a lot of form learned within a short period of time..i remember when i first trained wit de shan and xing hao....in one year period..all i was learned...wu bu chang....lin huan chang....and shao hung chang......and yin shou gun....4 forms in 1 year....man it was like boring!!! hahaha but it was rewarding to only concentrate on a little form at once...helped build my foundation so much

Yes, they've taught me a lot and are willing to teach me more if I ask. Having said that, we don't just learn the steps and move on...we practice all the forms often and we know that we still have a lot of work left to perfect them.

i'm not really a fan of accumulating forms myself. i mean, knowledge is knowledge and you can always add to it. but that may leave little time to turn it into wisdom or practical skill.

xiaohongquan is enough to be busy with your whole life, like the "four noble truths". its extremely simple, yet so dense!

but nowadays, shaolin wushu is not taught or learned for fighting. so unlike past masters who specialized in one form or so, you can learn many forms and its no problem. you dont need to go so deep. you will just train sanda.