Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of TMA

Quote Originally Posted by Asia View Post
    Based on what? Where in the term MARITAL ARTS does it make it essential to include respect, honor, etc?

Based on my own experience and the same experience of people i've known for many years. i mention this first because i try to base what i say on my own experiences. Now, i'm sure you can find many books and articles on the history of martial arts and see that respect and honor have been included.

Essential, i never said if was. You have alot of knuckleheads out there practicing martial arts. Hopefully people have been taught respect and honor by their parents. In martial arts, the ones who speak out against respect and honor in martial are usually the ones with some issues.

you don't have to accept it. It's essential for me and the many kids i teach as a tool to help them stay off the streets and out of trouble. TCMA, MMA, Judo, etc... are just names, but they are what you make it and not what anyone else tells you.
    5th Five Tigers Kung Fu Championship 2008
    http://www.fivetigerschampionship.com/
    http://www.jowtigers.com

Quote Originally Posted by FungFu2u2 View Post
    Back when martial arts was the worriors way of life, they were taught respect for their masters, theirs schools.
    Was that something to do with MA or a CULTURAL thing? It was cultural just like in anything else.

[qutoe]Even the Shoalin monks taught respect for life and everything around them.[/quote]
    Because they were a religious order. The biggest misconception was that MA was birth at Shaolin. That wasn't the case. MA was brought into Shaolin and mixed with its already established religous teachings.

The samuria worriors respected other worriors, they might have faught them , but still respected their abilities. Honor was top priority among the Japanese.
    OW BAD EXAMPLE!!!
    Samurai were some of the worse *******s out there. Do you know what BUREI UCHI is? It was the right of the samurai to basicly kill ANYONE who annoyed them. It was notoriously abused.

Most of the asians were the same way when it came to respect.
    Cultural norm nothing to do with MA. What about the MA practices in the rest of the world?

In the martial arts schools today, we have taken it one step further by showing respect for other schools, unless the prove they deserve no respect.
    Says who?
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Just wondering if you have something in your eye.
    LOL, tears from laughing

Honor was top priority among the Japanese. Most of the asians were the same way when it came to respect.
    Ever hear of the Bataam Death March? The Burma Railway? Yup them Japanese sure were into honor and respect of their fellow warriors.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Lik View Post

You may have some of these guys Bamboozled, but not me. i'm familiar with your wellknown reputation back in the days when you tried to do TCMA.
    Would you be refering to being asked to perform in the NACMAF master's demonstration by Tai Yim?

Or perhaps my takign 4th in the NACMAF long/short advanced division behind Hung Stewart, Daniel Tomazaki and jason Wong (ie the top three players in the nation)

Perhaps you're talking about how my students took home over 14 trophies one year, equally in forms, weapons and sparring

And where were you back then? I don't remember you performing, or competiting, or in any of the meetings....

You don't know anything about me, my lineage, jow ga or my sifu.
    and don't mention my sifu's name like you had any association with him.

I know TONS about your system, your sifu and your lineage, and that's why you get so upset....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Based on my own experience and the same experience of people i've known for many years. i mention this first because i try to base what i say on my own experiences.
    How do your experiences make honor, respect, etc. essential to MA?

Now, i'm sure you can find many books and articles on the history of martial arts and see that respect and honor have been included.
    Sure but that doesn't make it essential.

Essential, i never said if was.
    No but you try to imply it was. You said it was ALSO about respect and honor. Which would seem to imply you think its essential to it. I say that honor and respect are not essential at all and is up to the practitioner's discretion.

You have alot of knuckleheads out there practicing martial arts. Hopefully people have been taught respect and honor by their parents.
    True but what makes a MArtist one to judge is a person has enough repsect and honor to do MA?

In martial arts, the ones who speak out against respect and honor in martial are usually the ones with some issues.
    Not completely true. They can be the ones who don't see why someone, who is usually unqualified to judge, is trying to impose their views on them.

you don't have to accept it. It's essential for me and the many kids i teach as a tool to help them stay off the streets and out of trouble. TCMA, MMA, Judo, etc... are just names, but they are what you make it and not what anyone else tells you.
    Hence no one can factually say that MA is ALSO about honor and respect because it is not essential. The only thing that is essential is learning to fight.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

I think we need to make a distinction here between "Martial Art" and "Martial Way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    I think we need to make a distinction here between "Martial Art" and "Martial Way."
    True. But the distinction is a bit outdated as well. In Japan BUJUTSU (MARTIAL ART) and BUDO (MARTIAL WAY) are pretty much synonymous and the issue of effectiveness is the primary discussion.

I am sure that anyone can find historical facts to back up their own beliefs of respect and honor in the Martial Arts. I am mainly concerned with what most Martial Artist are taught in this country, most of the Martial Artist that I have come in contact with, that is.

And yes, the Shoalin Monks were taught thier art from some one else that saw that they did not know how to defend themselves from bandits.

The key that that I believe is that you can learn something good from any Martial Art style.

I know that you (Asia) and Tom have had this discussion before. The only school that I know that Tom does not have any respect for Coda Scott's school.
    "Royal Dragon"
    I wouldn't even waste my time. You are trying to prove to a school kid that Barney is not real, and just some guy in a purple dinosaur costume

LKFMDC wrote:

Would you be refering to being asked to perform in the NACMAF master's demonstration by Tai Yim?

Or perhaps my takign 4th in the NACMAF long/short advanced division behind Hung Stewart, Daniel Tomazaki and jason Wong (ie the top three players in the nation)

Perhaps you're talking about how my students took home over 14 trophies one year, equally in forms, weapons and sparring

And where were you back then? I don't remember you performing, or competiting, or in any of the meetings....
    Tai Yim asked you what? LOL, oh my god! LMAO. okay Dave

Where was i, well, let me see, hmmmm, oh yeah, i was winning the mens heavy weight advanced fighting division. i don't recall seeing you in the fighting division. Did you say you were doing forms Dave?

i don't need to pull other people's name in like you, but it's funny how many of the people you like to mention, laugh about you to this day. if you knew anything about me, you would know that i am currently in contact with most of the people you've named as so called references.

LKFMDC wrote:

I know TONS about your system, your sifu and your lineage, and that's why you get so upset....
    oh yeah i forgot you know everything.

come on Dave, lets just move on. What about dim sum in december, my treat?

Tai Yim asked you what? LOL, oh my god! LMAO. okay Dave
    are you dillusional or just ignorant?

here's a pic from the end of the NACMAF masters' demo,
    from left to right Anthony Goh, Tai Yim, Ken Lo, YC Wong, Chan Tai San, ME, the sifu from UK, John Funk and Nick Gracien

sorry if the truth makes you so uncomfortable

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i was winning the mens heavy weight advanced fighting division. i don't recall seeing you in the fighting division.
    OK big boy, WHAT YEAR?

This should be fun... because I took THIRD one year and two people on this very board were there.... Lama Pai Sifu and Ngok Fei.... Ngok Fei (aka Eric Hargrove) took first when the infamous "Ghetto-Fu" slammed him with an illegal throw on the concrete....

I was disqualified when I hit Eric in the head, after that experience I didn't bother with the point fighitng anymore

oh yeah i forgot you know everything.
    I know that back in the day when I spent time with TCMA people and went to NACMAF, you were NO ONE...

I spent a lot of time with Deric Mimms, YOUR TEACHER. The other Jow Ga people in the "loop" were of course Hoy Lee and Raymond Wong

Here's a pic of me and a few others I'm sure you know

i was winning the mens heavy weight advanced fighting division.
    according to a certain kung fu magazine, NO

LKFMDC,

in every picture, did you notice that you were standng with your sifu? your sifu was famous and we all saw you just following him around like a lost puppy. we also saw how he treated you like you were an idiot. your pictures are more bamboozlery.

as far as my competing in the NACMAF, i've already posted the results with names from the year i competed online. if you want, i can give you a copy during dim sum

LKFMDC wrote:

spent a lot of time with Deric Mimms, YOUR TEACHER. The other Jow Ga people in the "loop" were of course Hoy Lee and Raymond Wong
    this obviously shows you know nothing about me or our jow ga history and how you've just offended my Sigung by referring to Deric Mims as my teacher.

Deric Mims MY SIHING became my primary instructor after my sifu died. Btw, i've already asked for permission to tell you publicly, that Deric Mims thought you were a clown along with so many other sifus, who only tolerated you because they respected your master Chan Tai San. You can call Deric yourself and ask him what he thinks of you. Also ask Deric who is my teacher.

Anymore pictures of you following your master around?

come to my tournament. some of the people you've mentioned will be there and we can see how much respect you really have.

Although your a scrub, i'm willing to move on dave. how about you just pm me your next comment so we can stay off the board? better yet, write everything down and bring it to dim sum.

LKFMDC, i going to sleep now. i'll leave you here to make up more lies and propaganda.