Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOL- Local "MMA" school in my area

LOL- Local "MMA" school in my area

http://mace-mixedmartialarts.com/home

makes me laugh every time i look at it
    just look at it and read some of the **** on there.

Quote Originally Posted by -disciple- View Post
    http://mace-mixedmartialarts.com/home

makes me laugh every time i look at it
    just look at it and read some of the **** on there.
    TKD being called MMA.

It was bound to happen.

If you want to know what a real MMA gym looks like, here's one of the best.

http://americantopteam.com

how about a spell and grammer check there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_ATT View Post

If you want to know what a real MMA gym looks like, here's one of the best.

http://americantopteam.com
    this one isn't so bad

www.NYSanDa.com
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There is actually a growing issue with this - at least one national krav maga franchise calls itself "mixed martial arts" in its material, you know, because it's a mix of several older arts. I went and checked out their branch here, expecting an MMA class, and found basically a self defense class. An OK one, actually, but not what I thought I was signing on for.

However - these guys look like they are serious about trying MMA out. They aren't advertising MMA yet - they are saying they have a training class for it and want to try to compete in upcoming competitions once PA regulates the sport. I actually think that's an admirable example of what I've been saying in several posts lately - anyone, from any school, can 'get serious' and try MMA.

Time will tell if their program holds up in the Rhombus or whatever.

Here is the thing, when MMA was simple a ruleset, things were neat and crispy.
    The someone decided to "teach" MMA as a system.
    Well, by the very definition of MMA, anything you MIX MARTIAL ARTS you are teaching MMA.
    No where has it been etched in stone that MMA is specific style or that it is exclusively about competition.

Like TMA, MMA are their own worse enemy.

Welcome To The Club !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    this one isn't so bad

www.NYSanDa.com
    F*ck yeah! I intend to visit next year. We are having Bullshido's Mega Throwdown in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here is the thing, when MMA was simple a ruleset, things were neat and crispy.
    The someone decided to "teach" MMA as a system.
    Well, by the very definition of MMA, anything you MIX MARTIAL ARTS you are teaching MMA.
    No where has it been etched in stone that MMA is specific style or that it is exclusively about competition.

Like TMA, MMA are their own worse enemy.

Welcome To The Club !!
    Yes and no.

MMA proves it in the ring or cage. Not the same can be said of all TMA.

Yes and no.

And it would seem that eventually, that can't be said of ALL MMA gyms either.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yes and no.

Not everyone who "studies" MMA competes, so that could be said of anyone. What you *REALLY* ment was that fighters prove it in the ring. And since very few TMA desciples compete in "the ring", those who do don't count. That is your whole basis for your stance on TMA effectiveness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Not everyone who "studies" MMA competes, so that could be said of anyone. What you *REALLY* ment was that fighters prove it in the ring. And since very few TMA desciples compete in "the ring", those who do don't count. That is your whole basis for your stance on TMA effectiveness...
    How do you know what I meant? Are you a mind reader?

MMA proves it in the ring or the cage. It's really simple. If the "MMA" that you teach doesn't work in a stress enviroment, ie Cage/Ring, then it is not effective.

MMA is about effective high percentage techniques that work.

End of story.

If your instructor doesn't compete, or any students for that matter, I'd be looking for a different "MMA" school.

How do you know what I meant? Are you a mind reader?

MMA proves it in the ring or the cage. It's really simple. If the "MMA" that you teach doesn't work in a stress enviroment, ie Cage/Ring, then it is not effective.

MMA is about effective high percentage techniques that work.

End of story.

If your instructor doesn't compete, or any students for that matter, I'd be looking for a different "MMA" school.

what about the top San Shou/Da fighters in the world? are they not good fighters because they fight under a differnt rule set? thats completely rediculous if thats how some people think.

take a San Shou Champion, and put him in a training program for MMA, chances are he would do OK in that venue as well. Why? he is a fighter, heart to spirit.

what it takes to be a champion.......of any venue....

fighters are fighters.

thats just the way it is, regardless of if you ever even trained in ANY style.

CMA proves it in its own Venues with its own fighters.

Are you saying that ONLY MMA is capable of showing fighting skill?

granted MMA / Vale Tudo have the most realistic rule set, that does not mean that someone else who is training under a COMPLETELY different set of rules is not a competent fighter.

plain idiocy
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

most people consider San Da like MMA... most MMA people appreciate any sort of live competition be it Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo, San Da or MMA
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

most people consider San Da like MMA... most MMA people appreciate any sort of live competition be it Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo, San Da or MMA
    So then my question is this:

Why to people who like to claim "camp MMA" when talking about CMA, always seem to ignore the circuts that CMA does fight in? Its always "MMA proves it in the ring"

what about full contact CMA comps? They arent nearly as poplular, but they are around if you look for them.

To me, CMA and MMA people are often spouting things while leaving out a lot of aspects and information that is very relevant to the issue they are addressing.

Its confusing how people, on both sides, willingly pull the wool over their own eyes.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Absolutely correct. I should add that into my MMA rant.

Different rulesets, but the enviroment is the same.

To quote someone we all know, "Use what works".