Thread: The Rebel

The Rebel

I just told Doug he should start this thread since he's always saying he heard about such and such film long ago. I wasn't going to do it because although I've heard a lot of buzz on this, I haven't seen it and don't have much to say. But still, I'm a D.I.Y. sort of guy, so I found this review.

Cue Doug for his "I heard about this a long time ago" since I'm sure he has.

Anyone seen it yet?

Martial Arts Film Reconciles Feuding Viets
    NAM, News Analysis, Andrew Lam, Posted: Aug 06, 2007

Editor's note: The Rebel, a martial arts movie made by Vietnamese Americans in Vietnam, with the help of a local crew, is extraordinary, not for its artistic and sleek filmmaking alone, but for bridging the historical gap between Vietnam and its Diaspora. NAM editor Andrew Lam recently saw the movie at the Bangkok International Film Festival. Lam is the author of "Perfume Dreams: Reflections on the Vietnamese Diaspora," (Heyday Books, 2005).

Bangkok -- I do not mean to use the word lightly but The Rebel is extraordinary. For a martial arts film made in Vietnam by a handful of Vietnamese Americans with a tiny budget of $1.6 million to approach the likes of a well-choreographed Jackie Chan or Jet Li action flick – say, Drunken Master or The New Legend of Shaolin - is a feat unto itself. But the movie is extraordinary for a far more important reason: it’s a breakthrough film on many levels for Vietnam and its Diaspora.

The movie – shown recently at the Bangkok International Film Festival to great fanfare and sold out crowds in all of its three screenings – tells the saga of anti-French rebellion during colonial period in early 20th century Vietnam, and of the men assigned to squelch it. It features drop dead handsome Vietnamese-American Johnny Nguyen, who had worked as a stuntman for Spider-Man 1 and 2, and the beautiful and fierce Van Ngo, who is known in Europe as a model and in Vietnam as a famous singer. Now, thanks to her co-star who trained her, she can add martial arts fighting to her resume. The movie is directed by Truc “Charlie“ Nguyen, Johnny’s older brother.

In the movie, Cuong (Johnny Nguyen), a French-educated Vietnamese seduces Thuy (Van Ngo), the French fighting daughter of a famous rebellion leader, and follows her back to her father’s village hideout in order to arrest him. Not far behind them is the evil Sy (Dustin Nguyen – 21 Jump Street, V.I.P.), a mixed race Vietnamese-French attack dog with powerful martial art skills and a small army -- all to make sure that Cuong obeys his orders. What ensues is Cuong’s internal conflict and a series of dazzling Vietnamese-style martial arts fights. rebel

The Rebel is a breakthrough because it’s the first martial arts movie of its kind made in Vietnam, and it manages to find a common ground for an otherwise politically diverse population. Vietnam, after all, was a country ravaged by several wars in the 20th century, and the worst one was the civil war in which the South was backed by the Americans, and the North by the Russians and Chinese. But if disunity and vehemence is largely the story of modern Vietnam and its Diaspora, one mostly formed by the millions of refugees who fled communism, there is a sentiment practically every Vietnamese, at home or abroad, can agree upon: Vietnamese may not like each other and differ on ideological grounds, but few if any wanted to be colonized.

rebel It was why both in Vietnam and in Little Saigon in Orange County, where the largest and most influential population of Vietnamese living abroad resides, and where protest against the Vietnamese government is as regular as clockwork, the responses to the movie were equally enthusiastic. The Rebel was shown in Irvine at the Vietnamese International Film Festival last March to rave reviews. A month later it premiered in Vietnam where it instantly became reportedly the biggest box office smash of all time.

Charlie Nguyen, who was at the Bangkok International Film Festival with the cast, said that “Young people came up to me after the show in Vietnam, and they said they were completely blown away. They didn’t know that Vietnamese could make an action movie on the same level as Hollywood or Hong Kong.” Charlie and Johnny were both refugees and came to America as children. “Many of the viewers were emotional,” he said, still visibly moved by the memory. “They said to me ‘I feel proud. Normally I don’t feel proud to be Vietnamese. But after seeing the movie, I feel proud.’ It’s an extra bonus to hear that.” Rebelcouple

Until the last couple of years, the Vietnamese film industry has been largely a misnomer. A handful of movies made in Vietnam by Vietnamese with social messages like Bar Girls and Street Cinderella gained some notoriety abroad and certain popularity among Vietnamese audience at home. Likewise, aesthetically pleasing, but thin-on-plot movies made by returning Viet Kieus – Vietnamese nationals living abroad – like Tony Bui’s Three Seasons and Tran-Anh-Hung’s Cyclo and The Scent of Green Papaya and Nguyen Vo Nghiem Minh’s Buffalo Boy, often leave Vietnamese audiences mildly bemused and only played in art houses overseas.

DustinNguenBut international cooperation has paved the way for a series of important cooperative film projects, providing much-needed foreign capital and expertise to the Vietnamese film industry. Now with local talents emerging and Vietnamese Americans like Johnny Nguyen, Tony Bui, Dustin Nguyen, and Ham Tran, all with Hollywood experiences, poised to make movies in Vietnam, the country suddenly has a bona fide film industry.

“It's only the last two years or so that you see people really are making movies in Vietnam,” agreed Dustin Nguyen, at the Bangkok International Film Festival. Besides The Rebel, Dustin Nguyen, who recently starred in a romantic movie opposite Cate Blanchett, in Little Fish, has a couple more movies in Vietnam. “People in Vietnam are easy to work with, and eager to learn.”Kick

When asked about the political differences between Vietnamese and Vietnamese Americans, Dustin, who himself was once a refugee, brushed it off. “I can only speak for myself but there’s no tension. If you make a movie critical of the government then of course you’re not welcome. But I find it’s easy to make movies in Vietnam.” Earlier this year he told Nguoi Viet, a Vietnamese language newspaper in Little Saigon, about going back to Vietnam and filming The Rebel. “I felt an intense connection to the people. We bonded very quickly during the shooting. I never spoke Vietnamese in a film before. It was a period drama, all over Vietnam, not just Saigon where I grew up. I felt reintroduced to the country on all levels. It was just a fantastic six-month stretch.”

JohnnyAs someone who has been writing about the Vietnamese Diaspora since the early 1990s I strongly believe that national reconciliation is best done through the languages of the arts, and the most wide reaching of these languages is, of course, the language of cinema. As the country opens up, Vietnam and its rich if bloody history becomes a treasure house for exploration. Last I heard, The Rebel has been picked up by Harvey Weinstein of Miramax. “If I want to,” Charlie Nguyen said, encouraged by the news, “I could spend the rest of my life making movies about Vietnam.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I saw all the fight scenes on youtube. I liked the fights a lot. Kind of Ongbak inspired. Ngyuen has some really cool looking kicks. A couple of unique kicks I should add. There is a fight in a forest which is really cool, there is a girl who looks good at fighting, and there is a great brutal fight with a French guy. The main villain uses an iron skin technique. He could have been better, but still pretty good. Bey LOgan said Dragon Dynasty will be releasing this. I will definitely pick it up.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

actually i have no clue on this film, except reading about it a little on kungfucinema.com and gene basically wrote the gist of what i read about it. i just working crew on a film up here in new york so i have more time now to dwelve into my MA movie land resources (both in front and behind). and i agree with what you said on the other thread this is also my favorite forum all the other ones they just argue to much about mma vs tma and its a bnch of 16 year olds who never been in a reall fight and a bunch of old men who have only fought in the ring. so here is where i stay away from the garbage.

no clue on this film

WHAAAAATTTT?!?

Alright, who are you and what have you done with the real Doug Maverick?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yeah Doug this is definitely the best forum Nice and relaxing. We may get into small arguments every once in a while, but we usually end up learning stuff we didn't know and bad tends to turn to good. That is not even close to being the case in the out of control main forum.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

WHAAAAATTTT?!?

Alright, who are you and what have you done with the real Doug Maverick?
    like i said i read about it when it was first announced on kfc(the site not the chicken place lol) but then i got caught up with working on two film sets back to back and just been all and out busy since then. and recently thanks in part to the producers of sex and the city i been a slave(i even sing negro spirituals on set)

Well, this sounds like a movie I'll have to check out when it's released.

I finally saw this and give it a thumbs up.

It was very enjoyable. It wasn't over the top awesome, but it's the first Vietnamese kung fu flick of merit for me - good action, solid pacing, nice textures of old Vietnam. The fight scenes were crisp, in the tradition of the Protector to be sure, although with more head butts and scissor takedowns (Cung Le tells us that scissors are a signature move of Vietnamese kung fu, and who should know better than him?). I was very impressed with Dustin Nguyen's performance. I confess I've always written Dustin off as that lucky-*******-who-got-to-play-opposite-Pamela-Anderson-in-VIP, but his work in the Rebel showed some great range (he was good in Finishing the Game too). Johnny Nguyen carried the led well with absurd aerial kicks in slo mo, but I couldn't get past his character's name (Le Van Cuong - too close to Cung Le). Thanh Van Ngo (Veronica Ngo) stole the show, but who here isn't a sucker for a fighting hottie? Here's Veronica channeling Beyonce.

Now I'm really looking forward to Monk on Fire, since it reunites the cast.

For some back story, Craig Reid touched on The Rebel in his article SAN DIEGO ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL: The See-World of Festivals
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    like i said i read about it when it was first announced on kfc(the site not the chicken place lol) but then i got caught up with working on two film sets back to back and just been all and out busy since then. and recently thanks in part to the producers of sex and the city i been a slave(i even sing negro spirituals on set)
    you and me both know you love KFC! the chicken place not the site.

o prefer extra crispy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    Wow. Dougie. I used to visit that site religiously years ago and suddenly just stopped. They had some good stuff there. I remember the site operator had an obsession with Jaymee Ong for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    you and me both know you love KFC! the chicken place not the site.

o prefer extra crispy.
    Original recipe for me. And some potato wedges.

The Rebel I saw a boot at a mall last year and I had heard good things about it. Plus, having Johnny play the lead is all good since his role Tom Yum Goong was a hit (although he was a bit underutilized). His XMA experience allows him to deliver some nice screen action.

Gene caught my interest again with the female lead.
    Oh boy, I am getting excited.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

My latest review

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips