Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kettlebells are the $***!

kettle bells and xing yi

a friend of mine who is also a fellow xing yi chuan practioner use's kettelbell in his xing yi practice and it looks like its working, he gave me a punch the other day that almost knocked me on my ass, i'm thinking of doing this ass well(i'm still ahead of him in the power department but he's catching up) and i see some internal stylist are also getting in on it. so what do you guys recommend what wieght should i start with. i already practicexing yi with a weighted vest(and some times a book bag filled with wieght plates) but thats just mostly stance holding. any suggestions. thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    a friend of mine who is also a fellow xing yi chuan practioner use's kettelbell in his xing yi practice and it looks like its working, he gave me a punch the other day that almost knocked me on my ass, i'm thinking of doing this ass well(i'm still ahead of him in the power department but he's catching up) and i see some internal stylist are also getting in on it. so what do you guys recommend what wieght should i start with. i already practicexing yi with a weighted vest(and some times a book bag filled with wieght plates) but thats just mostly stance holding. any suggestions. thanks guys
    it depends on your weight and relative strength, but if your not a monster, i think the 16kg, and 24kg is a good choice. if your heavy and/or in excellent shape, probably go with the 20kg and 32kg. get a relatively light weight to learn the swing of things, and a challenging weight to shoot for.

my opinion as a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    it depends on your weight and relative strength, but if your not a monster, i think the 16kg, and 24kg is a good choice. if your heavy and/or in excellent shape, probably go with the 20kg and 32kg. get a relatively light weight to learn the swing of things, and a challenging weight to shoot for.

my opinion as a newbie.
    well lets see i'm 6'2'' 245(in relatively good shape recovering a bit from a knee injury, but it hasn;t really stoped me) gonna order some give it a try and update you when they come.

i am just wondering about rest periods. strangely enough, i don't usually wake up swore the next day like i used to with isolation weight training. i want to start training w/ KB everyday instead of every other day. probably day 1, upper-body, day 2, lower body+bodyweight&core. just wondering if its a good idea?
    i think the nature of kb exercises is that there is no upper/lower split... unless your are dealing with strictly grinding movements (ie, squats, presses, etc).....

i tend to vary the intensity day to day..... some days are just technique or just playing around with the kb and the other days are sure enough workouts.....

i'll atleast swing my kb once or twice a day just because....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Kettlebells are definately cool, I want to get some some day. They are definately more expensive, and the weight ranges aren't as varied as with dumbbells so they seem like something you'd try after experience for more complicated training.

I've never used kettlebells, does anyone know of any videos that demonstrate things like the clean and press. I know how to do it with a barbell, but due to the shape, how do you catch them and all that. I want to try those kettlebell rows where you balance on one kettlebell on the floor and at the same time do a row wtih the other.
    Bless you

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The Swing
    The Clean
    The Snatch
    Muscle Driver has them on sale... just as good as my Dragondoor bell.... and the shipping is not too bad....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

If you check out any of the old Shaolin wall murals that were found you'll see that they used weight training of all kinds. Kettlebells are a good supplement for barbell and dumbell training but not a substitute. Be carefull with your swinging and do not over extend ! It will be a thin line that leads to injury.. If you don't have previous experience try a good split routine with barbells and dumbells and the right equipment such as benches and racks for building your power first. Weight training will give you the strength to handle the heavy weapons that will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by thailandgary View Post
    If you check out any of the old Shaolin wall murals that were found you'll see that they used weight training of all kinds. Kettlebells are a good supplement for barbell and dumbell training but not a substitute. Be carefull with your swinging and do not over extend ! It will be a thin line that leads to injury.. If you don't have previous experience try a good split routine with barbells and dumbells and the right equipment such as benches and racks for building your power first. Weight training will give you the strength to handle the heavy weapons that will follow.
    I disagree. I injured myself alot when i did power lifting, including a dislocated shoulder, and a couple back injuries. I admit, i had poor instruction, but it just shows that its a skill set, and no easier to learn than kb, which imo is safer. Just start with some lower back strengthening, thats gonna prevent alot of injuries, and get you strong enough for swings (and it blossoms from there). So far, I haven't injured myself, and have never felt afraid of doing so with KB.

I think they can be a substitute. I can see the benefit to heavy squats, and i personally like the bench press, but you can go pretty far on KB. They are more versatile. Youve got variations on every major barbell lift, plus alot of unique exercises, and tons of grip work.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    The Swing
    The Clean
    The Snatch
    Muscle Driver has them on sale... just as good as my Dragondoor bell.... and the shipping is not too bad....

Thanks for posting! I was curious about the position of the wrist on these exercises and how to hold the kettlebell throughout. KB's seem to make dynamic lifts a little bit simpler (not easier). I may pick some up, I'll keep you all posted!
    Bless you

Awesome! KB's are great! For those starting, simplicity is the best: Swings, Cleans, Presses, Snatches.

I do EDT and I arrange my KB's on the floor as a circuit:

1 26 lb, 1 35 lb, 1 53 lb, then do all the above exercises for 5 reps left and right. You can vary the position of the KB's. Each exercise is done on the left, then the right. It will take you almost 3 - 5 minutes for each weight and you can take a 2 minute rest between each weight, before you move up.

For fun, do a variety of other motions: 1/4 get ups, 1/2 get ups, Turkish get ups, Renegade Rows, double rows, deadlifts, squats, lunges, windmills, figure 8 passes, but only select one or two exercises for the day. Take every other day off.

Less is more.

Enjoy the pain, gentlemen! Let me know if any of you has made gains.