Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is there no "World Martial Arts Tournament"

Why is there no "World Martial Arts Tournament"

Honestly, all this talk about TCMA vs. MMA etc. etc. gets on everyone's nerves. Im wondering, why is there no open-to-all fighting tournament? No hold's barred everything goes, see who the greatest fighter in the world truly is type of thing. This may sound childish, but in the cartoon Dragon Ball Z there is a world martial arts tournament, and it seems to work pretty well. Has this ever been tried? what would be the problems of having such a tournament, and why hasn't it been tried?

I think it was called UFC 1.

well then what happend to it, and why isnt it around ne more. The UFC today certainly isn't what i was thinking of. and that's more of a series anyway, it's a federation. Im thinking of more like a tournament

Quote Originally Posted by -disciple- View Post
    well then what happend to it, and why isnt it around ne more. The UFC today certainly isn't what i was thinking of. and that's more of a series anyway, it's a federation. Im thinking of more like a tournament
    First few UFCs were tournaments. BJJ fighters dominated.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I think it was called UFC 1.

Correct. Also, tournaments are not allowed in many states. They don't like fighters fighting more then once a night.

If you want to see how your style matches up in the cage/ring, contact the promoters of the local shows in your area. They are always looking for fighters.

was everything allowed? all types of non-lethal strikes and what not?

no eye gouges, fish hooks or blows to the back of the neck. I think those were the only rules.

Also, we have Pride, and other full contact venues. If we were to have a "World" championship, each of the major full contact venues would have to send a team of thier top people.

You would need reps from UFC, Pride, K1, Shan Shou and various Muay Thai and Val Tudio circutes as well.

why is that? couldn't you make it independent up to the fighter? anyone could enter. only those with skill would make it through the preliminary matches. I don't see why any other fighting federeation would have to get involved, because that would just complicate things.

The other fighting federations would be used to determine who was the best of thier local. Then, those guys would go to the worlds.

Other wise, you would have to create all new fight venues all over the world to hold events trying to determine who is skilled enough to fight the best in the world. It is such a herculean task that it would never be accomplished. Also, since the best fighters in the world are already in Prid, UFC, San Shou, K1 etc, it only stands to reason to include them.

Baically since we already have a good number of venues that anyone can fight in already, it would be best to let them figure out who is good enough to fight in the World comp.

If you are a Kung Fu guy in the USA for example, you can go fight San Shou. When you are good enough to consistently be on top, and are considered one of the top San Shou fighters, then you can fight in the worlds against other top fighters of all the other venues.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-18-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Of courser, the Worlds would have to be held in Hong Kong, and Bolo Yeung would have to be fighting the winner.

the first couple ufc's where nhb. they got banned in many states and almost shut down. great money maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Vale Tudo matches still exist in Brasil, where everything goes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I suggest we all pitch in, buy an island, enter the "white slave" and cocaine markets, and host a tournament once a year in order to recruit henchmen.

Yes, that would be the best way to do this. One of the small islands off of Costa Rica would fit the bill.

Where to I send my wire transfer from my account in switzerland ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !