Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 inch punch

JKDjeetKuneDo Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boardin_usa:
    BULL!!!!!!![/quote]

what is bull about what i posted, im quite courious because everything i posted is true because its been done...
    Keith~(grasshopper)

origenx Guest
    True, I don't think Bruce's 1" punch was a true pure 1" internal punch. A true 1" punch requires really no mechanical action at all, other than just contacting the uke's chest to transfer the energy.

However, Bruce may have had a mixed punch that combined good body mechanics with qi. Who knows?

Also, consider the possibility that Bruce may not have written or publicly taught all that he knew, but may have reserved his innermost secrets to himself and maybe his closest students only. That way he could maintain his competitive edge, and also it would be rather socially irresponsible to let just anyone and everyone know how to become *ss-kicking machines.

LeviathanX Guest
    There is no secret to the one inch punch, it is merely used to demonstrate that your power comes from your body... not your arm when you punch. It is used primarily for demonstration, not for practical purposes because it requires a great deal of concentration to get your body completely in sync to put the maximum amount of power behind your punch.

A more philosophical explanation is that you are focusing all of your chi into one central location - in the Tang Soo Do Hyung Jin Thwe (Sip Soo) we do a similar technique at the beginning of the form.

kungfuswack Guest
    I would tend to agree with leviathenx, but my basis is JKD concepts, so a lot of the older ideas have been thrown out as too difficult to learn, or too esoteric, perhaps not always rightly so. I think that Bruce probably did a lot of demonstrations to emphasize concepts or attributes, such as correctly applied mechanics, as opposed to actually showing his street fighting techniques. I'm not saying it won't work, but why study for potentially years to accomplish something that could be done with a sucker uppercut to the groin.

totallyfrozen Guest
    I'll echo what Sean said.

James W. DeMile (one of Bruce Lee's orginal students) wrote a book called "Bruce Lee's 1 and 3 inch Power Punch." In it, he details how to do the punch and how to train for it. It's just a little 40 page $5.00 book.

I have it...I think it's definitely worth $5.

vingtsunstudent Guest
    guys i'm probably going to start something here but bad luck!
    let me tell u all something,for those who haven't heard of a guy by the name of wong shun leung(u obviously no sqaut about bruce lee then)he was bruces true wing chun teacher(and forget about bill cheung anyone with half a brain know his stories are just that)& also in bruce's own words the greatest fighter he'd seen,his belief was simple if u
    train hard u will hit hard no chi no bull to him it was that simple, to him & my sifu(who incidently was wong's brother in law & the reason i know these things because he has actually seen the letters from bruce to wong stating as much)there is no chi rubbish just good hard training under agood teacher & of course the odd challenge match didn't hurt.
    also there is actually no such thing as the 1 inch punch it is actually just short range power which is learnt in the ist form(if anyone could tell me where the 1 inch punch is practiced in the form i might change my mind)& is used when caught with your weapons
    to close to your opponent or even perhaps if uv made a mistake.
    after a good basic knowledge is aquired u will use short range power with any part of your body
    also short range power can be aquired by any
    striking style so long as the are taught the priciple behind it correctly

origenx Guest
    Chi is real.
    There is no doubt.
    It is completely separate from physical power.

However, only few rare masters have control over it. That's why hardly anyone believes in it. Most people have never felt it so distinctly and unmistakeably. But once you feel it, you'll believe it.

YEs I have seen and felt it and it works It is not just for show Try this out the next time you are doing double pak sau try doing the inch punch instead of the second pak.

benny Guest
    why would you do a double pak sao?
    and you would not do a i" punch with the pak you would use the short range power. which is what vingtsun student is saying there is no such thing as the once inch punch unless you want to show off at demo's. it is just adapting the short range power to the punch
    see ya

Benny
    In JKD (wich is what this forum is about)
    if you pak sau and your opponent stops you yet holds centerline you can employ another pak wich also traps both limbs and hit at the same time. On the second part of your question if you want to say short range power rather than inch punching thats your choice but it is applied the same way and no it is not for show.

------------------
    Promoting Peace through JKD