Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Vids.

Some Vids.

Hey puting up vids is great, but don't waste our time.

If you want to show us something then SHOW us. You know what I mean?

I didn't know you only did Koren arts. Why hang out on a kung fu forum?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Hey, I'm six foot tall and weigh 220, I think that's showing something! I was also hoping that someone with better technique could help me with finer points like landing, I know that needs improvment.

As for why I hang here, I was trained under Grand Master Cha Sok Park (May he rest in peace) in a way I don't see in many TKD/HKD cirlces anymore. We trained live and with contact drills. We learned to punch and punch well. I don't tend to get along with or agree with lots of Korean Arts practictioners. I also just really like Chinese martial arts, and pick up stuff from them here and there.

I don't tend to get along with or agree with lots of Korean Arts practictioners.
    Well I can respect that. Old school KMA.

What do you feel is wrong with your landing?
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Even though I land IN a strong stance, I can't seem to land so much as slam. I feel confident in balance, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something someone else might be able to see.

After doing the hook kick. Instead of putting your foot down behind you. Pivot into a crane stance, kicking knee raised. That would help with your 'stomping' problem. Once you learn to control it better you can go back to the other way.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I don't do TKD but have been shown the kicking a few times recently, so feel free to take this with a shovel of salt.

Extension and flexibility seem to be your probs. I know you're just kicking the air so you don't want to overextend but esp with the second kick your leg is very bent. It looks like this may be in turn from a hip flexibility problem, so you can't open your hips out enough to put your weight behind the kick, therefore can't commit fully to it, and therefore are landing weakly.

Although it's at odds with a lot of people who say you shouldn't overcommit your weight to your front leg after a kick in case of sweeps, I was taught by my TKD teacher that that's exactly what you want to do to plant firmly, to use all your bodyweight, and to get a good follow through attack.

My recs, dangerous amateur tho I am (! ): one legged squats, ATG squats, lunges, deadlifts and more kicking bags rather than air (progressing from bodyweight to weighted with each). Warm up with dynamic (but gentle) kicking exercises starting at less and working up to the range of movement you expect to use in the kicks (you know better than I the excellent dynamic stretching routines TKD has). This will help strengthen and soften up your hams, thighs, hips, knees and work your core so your lower back doesn't go because you've overworked your upper legs. Then hit a good static stretch routine for your hips to warm down.

Just a couple of ideas.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

If you're trying to land softly, land on the toe, you spin good 'n' stuff. It helped me when I was doin flippy spinny stuff.

Also from MMAforum's advice of the day: "You aren't Chuck Liddell, and neither is Chuck Liddell anymore, so keep your ****ed hands up." :O
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    After doing the hook kick. Instead of putting your foot down behind you. Pivot into a crane stance, kicking knee raised. That would help with your 'stomping' problem. Once you learn to control it better you can go back to the other way.
    Thanks for the advice, that's sounds like a cool exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I don't do TKD but have been shown the kicking a few times recently, so feel free to take this with a shovel of salt.

Extension and flexibility seem to be your probs. I know you're just kicking the air so you don't want to overextend but esp with the second kick your leg is very bent. It looks like this may be in turn from a hip flexibility problem, so you can't open your hips out enough to put your weight behind the kick, therefore can't commit fully to it, and therefore are landing weakly.

Although it's at odds with a lot of people who say you shouldn't overcommit your weight to your front leg after a kick in case of sweeps, I was taught by my TKD teacher that that's exactly what you want to do to plant firmly, to use all your bodyweight, and to get a good follow through attack.

My recs, dangerous amateur tho I am (! ): one legged squats, ATG squats, lunges, deadlifts and more kicking bags rather than air (progressing from bodyweight to weighted with each). Warm up with dynamic (but gentle) kicking exercises starting at less and working up to the range of movement you expect to use in the kicks (you know better than I the excellent dynamic stretching routines TKD has). This will help strengthen and soften up your hams, thighs, hips, knees and work your core so your lower back doesn't go because you've overworked your upper legs. Then hit a good static stretch routine for your hips to warm down.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Thank you for the detailed response! Flexibility has ALWAYS been an issue for me. Sure I can kick high, but my legs just don't want to go past a certain point in static streches. It's funny you mention staring with dynamic, I almost always start with static...I will have to experiment....

Quote Originally Posted by Takuan View Post
    If you're trying to land softly, land on the toe, you spin good 'n' stuff. It helped me when I was doin flippy spinny stuff.

Also from MMAforum's advice of the day: "You aren't Chuck Liddell, and neither is Chuck Liddell anymore, so keep your ****ed hands up." :O

Hehe, my sparring is much better in terms of keeping my hands up. I still could use some work, but thanks to my Kung Fu buddy I learned hands down meant stars!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    Thank you for the detailed response! Flexibility has ALWAYS been an issue for me. Sure I can kick high, but my legs just don't want to go past a certain point in static streches. It's funny you mention staring with dynamic, I almost always start with static...I will have to experiment...
    There are reams of literature now that will tell you static stretches are BAD before a workout. They strain muscles which are not even warmed up and loosen them so they don't even do their job properly, and so actually increase the chance of injury while not doing anything for long-term flexibility because your muscles will try to overcompensate during the post-workout recovery period.

Static stretches should be after the workout (but only gently) or preferably in separate sessions altogether.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

cjurakpt Guest
    stop Phoenix from rising

FFS get a grip man! It's like a disease! I was expecting some good physioliololololiological training advice from you and what do we get!?

The subject was: when (if?) to do static stretches and how it relates to the rest of your training...

It may just be psychosomatic, but it did feel a lot better to do dynamic and then static. Perhaps my plateau in flexibility came from outdated training... I'll stick with this for awhile and hopefully I'll see some improvement. Thanks again, Mr. Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    There are reams of literature now that will tell you static stretches are BAD before a workout. They strain muscles which are not even warmed up and loosen them so they don't even do their job properly, and so actually increase the chance of injury while not doing anything for long-term flexibility because your muscles will try to overcompensate during the post-workout recovery period.

Static stretches should be after the workout (but only gently) or preferably in separate sessions altogether.
    Mr Punch has groin pulled the correct.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Where did anyone ever say static stretches weren't good for you?!

All types of stretching have their place imo.
    Mark